Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travelling with 2 small kids

Travelling with 2 small kids

Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:32 am
Just Joined

leelob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling with 2 small kids

HI, We are looking at moving back to New Zealand (have been there before in 03-05 before the kids), we now have a 6 year old and 6 months - anyone have any information travelling with them and settling in quickly so not to disrupt their routine too much.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travelling with 2 small kids

Originally Posted by leelob
HI, We are looking at moving back to New Zealand (have been there before in 03-05 before the kids), we now have a 6 year old and 6 months - anyone have any information travelling with them and settling in quickly so not to disrupt their routine too much.
We came across with a 6mth old in 2005 and he just DID cope. No pearls of wisdom, other than to say that he was still being breast-fed at the time and this made life a hell of a lot easier for feeding on the move etc. Other than that, he slept so much at that age anyway that it just wasn't a big deal at all.

Make sure you get bassinet (sp?) cots on the airplane(s) though, they're a huge help!

We came across last year with a 4 and 2yr old... we were expecting the trip and initial settling in process to be bumpy to say the least, but it just wasn't.

I do think though that the timing of arrival assisted... e.g. it was night time (around 01:00am I think) when we arrived at the hotel and all collapsed on the same bed and when morning arrived, we made a point of just getting out there and exploring our surroundings for the day... we've got photos of that day and the wife and I look like zombies, but we kept with it until darkness arrived again and then did the "usual" bedtime routine of bath, story/song, sleep that we'd instilled in them since just about birth anyhow... the next day the wife flew off to a small place south of Christchurch for a job interview while I took the boys to Auckland Zoo and tired them out, before repeating the same nighttime procedure that night.

I suppose what I'm saying is, whatever your nighttime routine is already, just stick to it at the relevant time of day/night here... they'll soon adjust and it'll be far less troublesome - in my experience!