British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Travel/emigration insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/travel-emigration-insurance-628293/)

Pinkkat75 Aug 30th 2009 2:41 pm

Travel/emigration insurance

Does anyone have any advice on obtaining insurance for the one way trip?

I assume that our visas mean we don't need the usual medical cover, but what about lost luggage/flight cancellation etc? :confused:

Or is this a really silly question? :D

MOSO Aug 30th 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Travel/emigration insurance

The post office travel insurance covers emmigration up to 17 days after arrival.

Taken from their website http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=19500189

'One-Way Cover
This insurance is designed to cover a round trip which starts and finishes at your home in the United Kingdom. It will also provide cover for one-way trips of up to a maximum of 17 days duration, for the purpose of emigration only. The insurance will be restricted to the cover and conditions that would have applied if you had arranged to return to the United Kingdom at the end of the period of insurance.'

If you do a google search there are other ones around, but we've gone with the post office as they are a reputable company.

Pinkkat75 Aug 30th 2009 6:29 pm

Has anyone used www.duinsure.com ?

They offer one way trip insurance, the cover seems similar to the Post Office, but for £36 instead of £90 :blink:

Matewx Aug 30th 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75 (Post 7888933)
Does anyone have any advice on obtaining insurance for the one way trip?

I assume that our visas mean we don't need the usual medical cover, but what about lost luggage/flight cancellation etc? :confused:

Or is this a really silly question? :D

We travelled without any...

Kind of a gamble I suppose... But I remember a thread at time of my departure were most of us on here said they did not have any...

P2L Aug 31st 2009 4:01 am

We used these folks

http://www.insureandgo.com/

We took out the insurance because we did a 3 day stopover in Singapore when we emigrated and didn't want to chance it. ;)

HTH

MOSO Sep 1st 2009 7:07 am

If I'm reading the small print correctly (!) Insureandgo only seem to provide cover until you step off the plane in NZ whereas the Post Office cover you for up to 17 days once you arrive which could be a consideration, and could explain the higher premium.

We're going via the US for 3 days so we certainly need something.

P2L Sep 1st 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 7893283)
If I'm reading the small print correctly (!) Insureandgo only seem to provide cover until you step off the plane in NZ whereas the Post Office cover you for up to 17 days once you arrive which could be a consideration, and could explain the higher premium.

We're going via the US for 3 days so we certainly need something.

But could you claim for anything after landing in NZ, if you are intending on remaining here :unsure::unsure:

Thats why we went with Insure&Go

MOSO Sep 1st 2009 10:09 am

Presumably you can claim which is the point of it lasting 17 days after you arrive. We thought it would cover us if anything happened to our luggage/money/laptop etc where we stay in NZ before we get into a rental and be able to get our stuff covered by contents insurance.

Also, do you need to apply for the equivalent of an NHS number or a permanent address etc. before you can claim for medical fees? I'm not entirely sure how the system works (and let's hope we don't need to find out so quickly after arriving!) but thought there's no harm in being covered for a few extra days.

I think the key thing for us is to be properly covered in the US where costs can rocket.

Let's hope we all have a safe trip and never need to claim anything!

MOSO Sep 1st 2009 12:31 pm

One other thought. If a company only insures you till you step foot in NZ, then presumably they don't cover you for any linking internal flights as you have already passed NZ immigration? We link up with a flight from Auckland to Wellington so it looks like we'll have to to use a company that covers us for longer anyway.

I've just tried go-walkabout.co.uk as they cover a minimum of 3 days after you land, but their quote for us is the same as the post office anyway.

lapis lazuli Jan 15th 2010 9:57 pm

I'm leaving on the 8th Feb, staying in Santa Monica USA for 24 hours and then flying on to NZ. What's the best way to cover myself? If I break my leg American bills are ludicrously expensive, so I'll need to cover for that as well, but it seems one-way insurance doesn't include stopovers. Oh, and I plan to travel on my NZ passport rather than my British one, if that matters. Can anyone help?

RobDon Jan 15th 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7889341)
We travelled without any...

Kind of a gamble I suppose... But I remember a thread at time of my departure were most of us on here said they did not have any...

We didnt take any out for the same reasons as above :o
We would take out travel insurance next time though :thumbup:

MnB Jan 15th 2010 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by lapis lazuli (Post 8252701)
I'm leaving on the 8th Feb, staying in Santa Monica USA for 24 hours and then flying on to NZ. What's the best way to cover myself? If I break my leg American bills are ludicrously expensive, so I'll need to cover for that as well, but it seems one-way insurance doesn't include stopovers. Oh, and I plan to travel on my NZ passport rather than my British one, if that matters. Can anyone help?

We have just taken out one way travel ins with the Post Office, cover is for 17 days £100 for both of us. Web site not very user friendly so arranged it all over phone.....much easier & helpful staff.
HTH
B x

educateer Jan 17th 2010 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75 (Post 7889314)
Has anyone used www.duinsure.com ?

They offer one way trip insurance, the cover seems similar to the Post Office, but for £36 instead of £90 :blink:

We used duinsure.com as it seemed good value but I guess you don't really know if they are any good unless you need to make a claim. So far we haven't needed to:fingerscrossed: but we have cover running for a couple of weeks until we can sort some local 'contents' insurance.