Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travel/emigration insurance

Travel/emigration insurance

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice
Default Travel/emigration insurance

Does anyone have any advice on obtaining insurance for the one way trip?

I assume that our visas mean we don't need the usual medical cover, but what about lost luggage/flight cancellation etc?

Or is this a really silly question?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel/emigration insurance

The post office travel insurance covers emmigration up to 17 days after arrival.

Taken from their website http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=19500189

'One-Way Cover
This insurance is designed to cover a round trip which starts and finishes at your home in the United Kingdom. It will also provide cover for one-way trips of up to a maximum of 17 days duration, for the purpose of emigration only. The insurance will be restricted to the cover and conditions that would have applied if you had arranged to return to the United Kingdom at the end of the period of insurance.'

If you do a google search there are other ones around, but we've gone with the post office as they are a reputable company.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

Has anyone used www.duinsure.com ?

They offer one way trip insurance, the cover seems similar to the Post Office, but for £36 instead of £90
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:40 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on obtaining insurance for the one way trip?

I assume that our visas mean we don't need the usual medical cover, but what about lost luggage/flight cancellation etc?

Or is this a really silly question?
We travelled without any...

Kind of a gamble I suppose... But I remember a thread at time of my departure were most of us on here said they did not have any...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:01 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We used these folks

http://www.insureandgo.com/

We took out the insurance because we did a 3 day stopover in Singapore when we emigrated and didn't want to chance it.

HTH
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm reading the small print correctly (!) Insureandgo only seem to provide cover until you step off the plane in NZ whereas the Post Office cover you for up to 17 days once you arrive which could be a consideration, and could explain the higher premium.

We're going via the US for 3 days so we certainly need something.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO View Post
If I'm reading the small print correctly (!) Insureandgo only seem to provide cover until you step off the plane in NZ whereas the Post Office cover you for up to 17 days once you arrive which could be a consideration, and could explain the higher premium.

We're going via the US for 3 days so we certainly need something.

But could you claim for anything after landing in NZ, if you are intending on remaining here

Thats why we went with Insure&Go
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Presumably you can claim which is the point of it lasting 17 days after you arrive. We thought it would cover us if anything happened to our luggage/money/laptop etc where we stay in NZ before we get into a rental and be able to get our stuff covered by contents insurance.

Also, do you need to apply for the equivalent of an NHS number or a permanent address etc. before you can claim for medical fees? I'm not entirely sure how the system works (and let's hope we don't need to find out so quickly after arriving!) but thought there's no harm in being covered for a few extra days.

I think the key thing for us is to be properly covered in the US where costs can rocket.

Let's hope we all have a safe trip and never need to claim anything!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

One other thought. If a company only insures you till you step foot in NZ, then presumably they don't cover you for any linking internal flights as you have already passed NZ immigration? We link up with a flight from Auckland to Wellington so it looks like we'll have to to use a company that covers us for longer anyway.

I've just tried go-walkabout.co.uk as they cover a minimum of 3 days after you land, but their quote for us is the same as the post office anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

lapis lazuli is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaving on the 8th Feb, staying in Santa Monica USA for 24 hours and then flying on to NZ. What's the best way to cover myself? If I break my leg American bills are ludicrously expensive, so I'll need to cover for that as well, but it seems one-way insurance doesn't include stopovers. Oh, and I plan to travel on my NZ passport rather than my British one, if that matters. Can anyone help?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx View Post
We travelled without any...

Kind of a gamble I suppose... But I remember a thread at time of my departure were most of us on here said they did not have any...
We didnt take any out for the same reasons as above
We would take out travel insurance next time though
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:02 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapis lazuli View Post
I'm leaving on the 8th Feb, staying in Santa Monica USA for 24 hours and then flying on to NZ. What's the best way to cover myself? If I break my leg American bills are ludicrously expensive, so I'll need to cover for that as well, but it seems one-way insurance doesn't include stopovers. Oh, and I plan to travel on my NZ passport rather than my British one, if that matters. Can anyone help?
We have just taken out one way travel ins with the Post Office, cover is for 17 days £100 for both of us. Web site not very user friendly so arranged it all over phone.....much easier & helpful staff.
HTH
B x
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75 View Post
Has anyone used www.duinsure.com ?

They offer one way trip insurance, the cover seems similar to the Post Office, but for £36 instead of £90
We used duinsure.com as it seemed good value but I guess you don't really know if they are any good unless you need to make a claim. So far we haven't needed to but we have cover running for a couple of weeks until we can sort some local 'contents' insurance.