Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transferring life insurance etc?

Transferring life insurance etc?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:53 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring life insurance etc?

Can anyone advise us on whether we can transfer existing UK life insurance and critical illnes cover to New Zealand?

Our situation is slightly different to most in that my husband is a Kiwi and so he can sponsor me (although have clearly stated - in writing - that I'm not losing any weight or running! And I apply straight off for a residency, despite having to go through the same forms, police check, medicals etc. My medicals and x-rays are on Tuesday ... smoke, drink, do no exercise, am very good liar!!

Any advice would be great. Hubby left when he was 7, we went to visit in April/May, but he never learnt about the essentials in relocating at that age! Lazy I say!!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring life insurance etc?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Can anyone advise us on whether we can transfer existing UK life insurance and critical illnes cover to New Zealand?
we were led to believe that they weren't transferable, so we set up new in NZ for comparable cover / comparable cost and then cancelled the UK ones. We went through a finance advisor.
Vicki
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Our situation is slightly different to most in that my husband is a Kiwi and so he can sponsor me (although have clearly stated - in writing - that I'm not losing any weight or running! And I apply straight off for a residency, despite having to go through the same forms, police check, medicals etc. My medicals and x-rays are on Tuesday ... smoke, drink, do no exercise, am very good liar!!

Any advice would be great. Hubby left when he was 7, we went to visit in April/May, but he never learnt about the essentials in relocating at that age! Lazy I say!!
Same,we were led to believe they are non-transferable. Pensions accrued to date are frozen and paid on maturity wherever you are in the world, but life assurance is void.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:26 pm

That's soooo unfair!! Does it make any difference that it's with a bank that has branches in New Zealand do you think? Can't believe that's all that money lost?! How rude!! Thank you very much for the pension info - hadn't even thought about that it's been so long since I could last afford to make a payment into it!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we were led to believe that they weren't transferable, so we set up new in NZ for comparable cover / comparable cost and then cancelled the UK ones. We went through a finance advisor.
Vicki
That's soooo unfair!! Does it make any difference that it's with a bank that has branches in New Zealand do you think? Can't believe that's all that money lost?! How rude!! Thank you very much for the pension info - hadn't even thought about that it's been so long since I could last afford to make a payment into it!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:05 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I sem to have been told the opposite to everyone else. I was told that as long as I kept paying my premium from a UK bank account and let them know my address in NZ I could keep policy going. I wold suggest you ahve a chat wih them.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I sem to have been told the opposite to everyone else. I was told that as long as I kept paying my premium from a UK bank account and let them know my address in NZ I could keep policy going. I wold suggest you ahve a chat wih them.
I was also told this, but if i missed a payment it would be cancelled.
It didn't include critical illness payment though.
best check again, ours is with Legal & General.
I also have a pension with Scottish Widows and they will let me keep this going for the next five years and then it stops, somthing to do with the tax man!!!
jane
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:37 pm

Had that thought about continuing with monthly premium, sadly have critical illness cover too - but not as much invested in that due to the wine & fag consumption! Am here for a good time, not a long time!!

Hmmmm, going to have to consider making maximum payments into pension out of lump sum from sale of house then methinks!

Thank you, all good to know. Will phone & go see scary bank manager!

Caroline