Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Train from Wellington to Aukland

Train from Wellington to Aukland

Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Train from Wellington to Aukland

Hi...some advice please.

We are travelling over to Aukland in a couple of weeks to meet up with my sister and then driving down to Wellington to see my nephew.

My sister and hubby will then be flying to Bangkok to start a cruise back to the UK. We will be travelling back up to Aukland to return to Brisbane.

We are not sure of the best way to do it.
One option is to drive but another is to take the train.

We really don't fancy 12 hours non stop on the train so would break the journey overnight.

Is the train trip worth doing and where would be the best place to stop?

The cost is not really an issue. we can not decide if we prefer to drive over 2/3 days or try the train
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train from Wellington to Aukland

why don't you fly? only takes an hour.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
why don't you fly? only takes an hour.
Because we are on a holiday and want to do a bit of sightseeing
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've not done this so it's completely mental of me to comment ,however I have heard that the train journey ain't all that, especially if the weather is duff.

edit....
Except this person enjoyed their Overlander trip

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 8th 2012 at 2:14 am.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've not done this so it's completely mental of me to comment ,however I have heard that the train journey ain't all that, especially if the weather is duff.
Thanks for reminding me about the weather....I would not like to be stuck on a train unless it is worth doing.

If the weather looked bad we would probably fly anyway
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Because we are on a holiday and want to do a bit of sightseeing
ahh makes sense , been out in the sun to much today. sorry

as for trains sorry no idea but look forward to seeing some suggestions.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm talking rubbish as usual it seems. Goodness know where I read that it wasn't all that.

Here is another that has enjoyed this trip.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

May I just point out that Auckland has a C in it

Teresa Green & her OH have done the trip via train from Welly to Auckland, so you could PM her. I seem to remember that they enjoyed it.

Right,
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine did it with elderly parents one way and enjoyed it. I have toured loads in NZ and think it could be worth doing.
I think I would prefer to stop for a couple of nights at Tongariro National Park though.
It takes 4 hours to drive from Wellington to Tongariro btw.

I agree in good clear weather it would be pretty good but in dull grey weather probably boring. BTW I do like train travel.

How quickly are you doing the initial drive down to Wellington?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
May I just point out that Auckland has a C in it
How would I know....it's just some far off, obscure, foreign place to me
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by luvwelly

How quickly are you doing the initial drive down to Wellington?
About 4 days we think.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:20 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

How long are you planning on staying in NZ? Hope I haven't missed that in one of the posts!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Persephone
How long are you planning on staying in NZ? Hope I haven't missed that in one of the posts!
About 10 days...will spend some time in Wellington....never been to that region.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

We did the train from Auckland to Wellington. A great way to see the countryside that you simply can't see from the road, such as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raurimu_Spiral

Also to meet others both kiwi and travellers.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

RJT UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Hi...some advice please.

We are travelling over to Aukland in a couple of weeks to meet up with my sister and then driving down to Wellington to see my nephew.

My sister and hubby will then be flying to Bangkok to start a cruise back to the UK. We will be travelling back up to Aukland to return to Brisbane.

We are not sure of the best way to do it.
One option is to drive but another is to take the train.

We really don't fancy 12 hours non stop on the train so would break the journey overnight.

Is the train trip worth doing and where would be the best place to stop?

The cost is not really an issue. we can not decide if we prefer to drive over 2/3 days or try the train
How about driving from Wgtn to Hawkes Bay on East Coast (loads of lovely wineries) nice scenery, takes about 4 a hours to drive. From Napier then go on to Taupo (1 hr 15 mins) stay on the lake, then head up to Auckland (another 3 hour drive). That's what I'd do anyway :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.