Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

tourist attractions in the Wellington area

tourist attractions in the Wellington area

Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:40 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default tourist attractions in the Wellington area

OK people, I know this has probably been done to death but I would appreciate some input please
My son (and his finacee) are coming to visit for 2 weeks at the beginning of March
Where would you recommend as worth a visit?
He intends to visit the Gravity Canyon
http://www.gravitycanyon.co.nz/
as he wants to do the Flying Fox and try a bungee jump but other than that, no real plans so far.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tourist attractions in the Wellington area

Originally Posted by karonious
OK people, I know this has probably been done to death but I would appreciate some input please
My son (and his finacee) are coming to visit for 2 weeks at the beginning of March
Where would you recommend as worth a visit?
He intends to visit the Gravity Canyon
http://www.gravitycanyon.co.nz/
as he wants to do the Flying Fox and try a bungee jump but other than that, no real plans so far.
Karen, is there a Super 14 rugby game on at the stadium during their time here?

Vineyards across the Wairarapa, up the Kapiti coast (think there is Kapiti Quad biking amongst other things up there), Kayaking in the harbour, hire bikes/rollerblades and head around teh bays a bit, Te Papa, many many public houses, up the cablecar to the botanic gardens.

Remember Nelson and therefor Golden Bay/Abel Tasman are only 25 mins away in a plane too
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

• Boat over to Soames Island
  • Wairarapa Fall Harvest, Dakins Road, Gladstone, March 15th (we're going to that, friend will be representing her and her hubby's vineyard)
  • Visit to Te Papa
  • Botanical Gardens
  • New Zealand International Arts Festival
  • Admiring the view from the Brooklyn Wind Turbine
  • The Fringe Festival is on right now, too
  • The Dragon Boat Festival runs from the 15th to 16th of March
  • Not sure if this is after they're gone but the Smashing Pumpkins are playing Wellington on 20th March

gosh... tons of stuff, just can't think of anything else right now!

Last edited by Maz; Feb 17th 2008 at 1:22 am. Reason: Keep adding things as I come across them
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Maz has covered a lot there: not much left really, I can only think of:
the view from the Mount Victoria Lookout;
a drive round the Eastern Bays starting off with Oriental Bay;
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary: www.sanctuary.org.nz/
Otari Wilton's Bush Reserve: http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...ltonsbush.html

General Wellington sightseeing - eg The Beehive, Thorndon (oldest area) etc; Lambton Quay, the CBD, Queens Wharf, Cuba Street area etc...whatever your fav bits are
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

There is this wee scottish lady I know, who makes the most fantastic cheese scones!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:42 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
There is this wee scottish lady I know, who makes the most fantastic cheese scones!
YES - they were divine!!!

(the scones...)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:43 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
YES - they were divine!!!

(the scones...)
I didn't act soon enough, missed out!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:12 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Thanks for that!!
But as he grew up on them, it's not something new and exciting, is it?

Thanks for your suggestions, I will transfer them all to a word document and keep them together - cheers and keep them coming!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:53 am
Karma is my friend

albertaorbust is a jewel in the roughalbertaorbust is a jewel in the roughalbertaorbust is a jewel in the roughalbertaorbust is a jewel in the rough

If he likes a walk and it's a nice day then I recommend the Southern Walkway, drop them off at Oriental Parade, they climb the hill to Mt Vic and then travel all the way to Island Bay. It a good trek, they then get the bus back into town which drops them off in the centre for a few light refreshments.

http://www.feelinggreat.co.nz/facili...uthern-walkway

Just a though

Si
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:16 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by albertaorbust
If he likes a walk and it's a nice day then I recommend the Southern Walkway, drop them off at Oriental Parade, they climb the hill to Mt Vic and then travel all the way to Island Bay. It a good trek, they then get the bus back into town which drops them off in the centre for a few light refreshments.

http://www.feelinggreat.co.nz/facili...uthern-walkway

Just a though

Si
On my list now, thanks
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
On my list now, thanks
Don't forget: Mac's Brewery, The Welsh Pub, Molly Malones etc etc

Shame the bloody Chocolate Fish Cafe is now closed
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:42 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by irnbru14

Cheers cherub!!
The Welsh Pub may be in for some serious drinking now the Welsh sub-section of the Porirua Posse have got together!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the scene of a tanker careering into a house, that's practically on your doorstep isn't it?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

This is only cafe I like in Welly (I am a super fussy person:curse

Espresso Republic -- I am not joking. They have lovely (lunch) meals.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/list...esso-republic/
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:33 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by crap coffee
This is only cafe I like in Welly (I am a super fussy person:curse

Espresso Republic -- I am not joking. They have lovely (lunch) meals.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/list...esso-republic/
On my list!!
Keep them coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.