British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Top Ten (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/top-ten-754694/)

pcmay10 Apr 12th 2012 7:19 pm

Top Ten

The 10 things which you wish you had taken,the move seems to be getting closer and things which i may take for granted here may not be as available over there,thanks,if there are more than 10 list them anyway...

MrsFychan Apr 12th 2012 10:46 pm

Re: Top Ten

can't really think of ten things I wished we had brought because most would of had to go on the container and as it takes 10-12weeks or so to get here we went out and bought things that we needed.
I can tell you I wished we hadn't bought the range cooker, husbands idea so don't ask, houses come with ovens and most are singles so any house we buy if we want the range in will need a complete refit, the American style fridge freezer is also something that would probably end up in a garage unless we buy new build and have it put into the plans.

Things we bought over in hand luggage and very grateful for where:

The Wii and games
DVD's
Laptops
Calpol
Sudafed
plastic plates, bowls, cups
cutlery
Large jar of Marmite
Treasured Photos

*Just thought of something I wished I had got more of, my hair colourant. Can't seem to find the exact same one here so wished I had bought lots of it.

Trish M Apr 12th 2012 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10003019)
*Just thought of something I wished I had got more of, my hair colourant. Can't seem to find the exact same one here so wished I had bought lots of it.

Can you get anybody in Blighty to send some over to you?

MrsFychan Apr 12th 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Trish M (Post 10003033)
Can you get anybody in Blighty to send some over to you?

Going back in June, had to get return tickets when we came out as Visa hadn't been approved, so will stock up then but to be honest its not like I'm going to be able to go back yearly to do that so will have to settle for the nearest colour in the long term

Snap Shot Apr 12th 2012 11:36 pm

Um, there's nothing much that I wish I had taken with us as we had our version of essentials. There isn't ten on this list and again it's just my personal taste but anyway:

Paxo stuffing
Sarsons Malt Vinegar
Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa Powder (you can get it here but it's different)
Tetley Tea Bags
British Marmalade (local stuff doesn't do it for me)
Jaffa cakes

and that's about it. I buy the above things from an ex-pat shop anyway. Everything else is the same brand or an adequate local alternative.

I can relate to Mrs Fychan's list, apart from the hair dye as I already have red hair. I mean auburn, Mrs. F's hair is red and she means it ! Marmite is marketed as My Mate in identical jars to the UK. NZ Marmite is awful so the current shortage does not bother me one jot.

theghostofdustybin Apr 13th 2012 1:02 am

Just one for me,

the newcastle arms

wouldn't fit in my backpack...

love30stm Apr 13th 2012 1:36 am

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin (Post 10003144)
Just one for me,

the newcastle arms

wouldn't fit in my backpack...

:lol:

barnsleymat Apr 13th 2012 6:13 am

Batteries
Anything and everything from a Chemist
More pairs of Adidas
Tools
Salad Cream

Do a ram raid on a Quid Shop, once the kiwis have paid $1.94 for a similar item from China they seems to have the knack of quadrupling the price at least.

hazeandsteve Apr 13th 2012 7:19 am

D cell batteries.
AA cell batteries
AAA cell batteries.
An electric power shower. We'll be off to B&Q when we next pop home.
Pants. Lots of comfy pants.

Double that list and it comes to ten. Everything else is doable here.

Jaydi Apr 13th 2012 8:18 am

Boots cosmetics
Anything you regularly buy from a chemist.
I wish that I had brought a big stock of Anadin Extra with me as this is the only headache tablet that works for me. I ordered some from an on-line UK chemist twice without any problem but the third time they got seized by customs!

Bo-Jangles Apr 13th 2012 8:48 am

I would stock up on:

Pet meds, especially flea treatments such as Frontline
Any food processing / mixing appliances / gadgets that you ever coveted
M&S underwear
M&S work trousers (especially if you're short / tall)
Books
Boots
Shoes
Shoes
Shoes
More shoes