Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Too fat to renew visa after being in NZ since 2007

Too fat to renew visa after being in NZ since 2007

Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too fat to renew visa after being in NZ since 2007

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...t-to-live-here
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To fat to renew visa after being in NZ since 2007

Could he not just agree to lose the weight?

I venture most of us like to enjoy a few more standard drinks than strictly medically recommended, enjoy the odd cigarette, the company of a young woman/man (as applicable) with whom we've only recently become acquainted or the thrill of guiding a vehicle at the edge of what the laws of physics will allow. Are we not equally as guilty or risk taking as someone stuffing their gob?

In the interests of disclosure I'm also and immigrant, and at the moment a bit of a fat one.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

the odd thing is that he has been losing weight and weighs less than when he arrived, its just this year they have said NO to renewing.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default You're too fat, sling your hook ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23475583

I'm not sure I have a great deal of sympathy for this chap.

Whilst you aren't a fully fledged citizen the government can move the goal posts for your visa, this isn't a secret and therefore shouldn't be a surprise, certainly when you're as overweight as the is.

Your views?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, didn't expect this to be in the Sheep Dip, I've posted the same story from the BBC website on the main forum.

Apologies.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
and at the moment a bit of a fat one.
A 130kg one with a $20k knee op looming + any costs for the recovery and follow ups and inevitable cock ups that will happen for the recovery with a body that had putting strain through a new knee?

Back to this fella, the world is doing far more to punish (I suppose?) the obese than we did even a couple of years ago, albeit with very little help in terms of education, which is really where governments world wide fail.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jul 27th 2013 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You're too fat, sling your hook ...

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23475583

I'm not sure I have a great deal of sympathy for this chap.

Whilst you aren't a fully fledged citizen the government can move the goal posts for your visa, this isn't a secret and therefore shouldn't be a surprise, certainly when you're as overweight as the is.

Your views?
Personally think it's very harsh and someone at Immigration is being a jobsworth, but rules are rules and in migrating to this country he should know and keep up to date with his eligibility status and maintain it if he wants to stay.
Best get the treadmill out
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
the odd thing is that he has been losing weight and weighs less than when he arrived, its just this year they have said NO to renewing.
Does he have other health issues as well though? Plus his age is increasing each year, i'm guessing that NZ may take an overall view, like Aus does?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Oops, didn't expect this to be in the Sheep Dip, I've posted the same story from the BBC website on the main forum.

Apologies.
I've merged the threads for you
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

There are countless stories of people being too "heavy" for NZIS, including on this forum (and rather close to home....). Therefore I'm surprised this made the news in the UK - unless it was a quiet news day in Blighty

Jan

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jul 27th 2013 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

The focus has been in his weight but the rejection is also because of his other health issues, expensive surgery requirements and aftercare.

As an aside, this year it seems that INZ are much more reluctant to renew work visas where they think a Kiwi could do the same job. I know of 2 people this has happened to in my company. 1 had to return to the UK, the other then applied for, and received a partnership work visa.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:30 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
The focus has been in his weight but the rejection is also because of his other health issues, expensive surgery requirements and aftercare.

As an aside, this year it seems that INZ are much more reluctant to renew work visas where they think a Kiwi could do the same job. I know of 2 people this has happened to in my company. 1 had to return to the UK, the other then applied for, and received a partnership work visa.
I agree, I think the health issues are what has caused this to become a problem now. The costs of knee surgery could be extensive, especially as his recovery will be delayed due to his weight.
Those on work visas longterm always run the risk that they will not be renewed for some reason, leaving them liable for deportation. As Capp said this may be that they are being more strict about the labour market test even in cases of long term employment.
I do wonder why he has not applied for residency before now, what was the long term plan? He'd probably be able to scrape enough points with him having a job offer...
Unless he was planning on working until he died then he'd either have to get residency or leave NZ. Or was he planning on losing more weight before he applied He's had 6 years to do this and only managed 30kg so far. I know it sounds harsh but if living in NZ was that important to him why has he not made much more of an effort to be able to remain
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've merged the threads for you
Chur
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Does he have other health issues as well though? Plus his age is increasing each year, I'm guessing that NZ may take an overall view, like Aus does?
Yes and....

Originally Posted by cappuccino

As an aside, this year it seems that INZ are much more reluctant to renew work visas where they think a Kiwi could do the same job.
yes.

Further, chef is seen as a skilled occupation. With a full-time, permanent job contract in place, he should have been able to apply for residency , virtually at outset, to safeguard his future in this country. Why didn't he? Unless the employer has been issuing temp contracts year on year, in which case , eyes also go to the employer & one would wonder why this was the case for the past 5 years.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Too fat to renew visa after being in NZ since 2007

The plot thickens.

Miss Marple and Jessica Fletcher ain't got nothing on Bevs

There has to be more to this story than meets the eye, I.e. wider health issues that frankly aren't going to be helped by this mans obesity.

I realise there are people, some who use this forum that have struggled with this from the offset on visa application, which Whilst being undoubtedly stressful has managed the expectation from the off. Has this fella taken things for granted a little, given they apparently got in and have renews so easily until now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.