Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tips for packing clothing into boxes for 3 month journey

Tips for packing clothing into boxes for 3 month journey

Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Talking Tips for packing clothing into boxes for 3 month journey

Hi all

Does anyone have any tips on how to pack/not to pack clothes for the container?

Having a couple of visa issues, so hopefully still go, but maybe a bit later than planned

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for packing clothing into boxes for 3 month journey

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Hi all

Having a couple of visa issues, so hopefully still go, but maybe a bit later than planned

Thanks in advance
We left most of our clothes in the chest of drawers & the removal guys just wrapped the chest of drawers up. Anything from the wardrobes was taken out & put in long boxes with the coat hangers in situ.

If either of these isn't an option for you then I would suggest you roll everything. Most efficient way of packing .

Speaking of packing, I must get on. Off to the Cook Islands this arvo, to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary & I still haven't packed!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance
I used vacuum bags for my clothes as just had boxes sent over and no furniture. All ok on arrival
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Speaking of packing, I must get on. Off to the Cook Islands this arvo, to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary & I still haven't packed!
Happy Anniversary! I went to Rarotonga in Feb and LOVED it!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Happy Anniversary! I went to Rarotonga in Feb and LOVED it!
We got back yesterday
Loved it too!!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

I second the vacuum bags and rolling clothes. Put the bags into the box before you vacuum them and the shape fits around the space. Dont forget they get heavy so you may need to double tape the boxes.

Our clothes also cushioned a few breakables, and everything arrived ok.

good luck
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I also feel that vacuum bags are the way to go with clothes, although the few that we had arrived fine without too much of this.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

If you have packers coming, they literally just lift everything as it is and you don't need to pack as such, everything on hangers gets put in 'wardrobe' boxes which have a hanging rail inside or the whole drawer goes as is. We did however do a lot of preparation and packed lots of valuables and treats wrapped in linens or clothes, inside every available bag, suitcase and holdall that we had. Packers just wrap the bag or case in bubble wrap and all went on its merry way.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

GrannyPen is an unknown quantity at this point

Removalist have told me not to pack anything in plastic as it may go mouldy in the heat as the container ship goes through the tropics? Has anyone else been told this? I would much prefer to pack my clothes in vacuum bags.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

I packed ours in vacuum bags in south florida and they travelled via taiwan to brisbane arriving in summer.

All humid places, but all arrived well and dry. I did make sure they were dry when I packed them, but did nothing much different.

Hope yours do as well, best wishes
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine were fine too - left UK in Dec and arrived here March.