Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking it might be time to head home?

Thinking it might be time to head home?

Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of
Default Thinking it might be time to head home?

What do you guys think?

Been living in the ME (UAE) for 5 years. Having an adventure. Married young, had kids young, free reasonably young? But then the Christchurch earthquake hit in Feb 2011 and my sister was lost to us in the CTV building. I went home to NZ for 6 months to grieve and do what I could to help. It's now 12 months later! Husband is Architect? We can make a contribution to the rebuild of the city! Should we head back to help with the rebuild or should we carry on with our own adventure? Conflicting thoughts and feelings really. Want to stay and continue this adventure of living in and experiencing another culture but so aware of what we could do for Christchurch. Would love to hear your thoughts! Miss the NZ but love the UAE!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:46 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking it might be time to head home?

It would be great if you could come and help. I'm sure you and your husbands services would be appreciated in Christchurch. But ultimately, you know it's your own decision.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Christchurch will be in a rebuild stage for a very long while yet m'love. There is no hurry. You carry on with your adventure.

I know it must feel like the pits sometimes to be somewhere else when your family are here and you lost your sister here You will still be grieving & that will make you feel you want to contribute something to the place where she died. Many of us feel this . Do this. We give donations for that which took our loved ones. Do fund raising. All that type of thing.

If this is a wee bit of how you are feeling I'd say go live your life for her as well as yourself. Christchurch will be here and waiting when you are ready & that is not whilst you are still grieving.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:26 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

At what point does it stop being an adventure and turn into just day to day routine and big bucks, as opposed to living on the kiwi dollar?.
if you're still loving it and not resenting the cultural differences, then stay. If not......
My ex uncle in law spent a bit if time in the ME and vowed never again to return because of certain attitudes.
Best of luck with your dilemma.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Carry on with your adventure, Christchurch will still get rebuilt but you might not get to carry on afterwards
when you've done your part.
I think a return would have to be for very personal reasons and self fulfilment as in the grand scheme of things
your efforts will be anonymous.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 16th 2012 at 9:33 am.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll know when it is ready to move back to NZ...if you are having to think about it too much then I don't think it's the right time. Maybe, if the seed (to return to NZ) has been planted, then your desire to move back to NZ will eventually take over your desire to stay in the UAE....which I guess would mean that it's time to go home. Not sure if I am explaining myself very well, but I think we return home when the call/pull is too strong to dismiss anymore.

Mine is definitely growing..........
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:47 pm
`

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Not sure if I am explaining myself very well, but I think we return home when the call/pull is too strong to dismiss anymore.
I think you've explained it very well.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain
What do you guys think?

Been living in the ME (UAE) for 5 years. Having an adventure. Married young, had kids young, free reasonably young? But then the Christchurch earthquake hit in Feb 2011 and my sister was lost to us in the CTV building. I went home to NZ for 6 months to grieve and do what I could to help. It's now 12 months later! Husband is Architect? We can make a contribution to the rebuild of the city! Should we head back to help with the rebuild or should we carry on with our own adventure? Conflicting thoughts and feelings really. Want to stay and continue this adventure of living in and experiencing another culture but so aware of what we could do for Christchurch. Would love to hear your thoughts! Miss the NZ but love the UAE!
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister and the only advice I can give you is listen to your heart.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dannigirl's advice is excellent
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

smart people move overseas.

feel like I am not the one.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess when the time is right we will know!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I think you'd be crazy to move back here. Perhaps you're taking where you are too much for granted and don't realise what you'd miss or the quality of life you have now.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:07 am
`

Originally Posted by whitesand
Personally, I think you'd be crazy to move back here. Perhaps you're taking where you are too much for granted and don't realise what you'd miss or the quality of life you have now.

We are upon the 1st anniversary of that wretched quake which took her sister. I rather think that Kiwigirlinalain's thoughts are with her family at this time. Having gone through that, I would imagine she takes nothing much for granted having not long been bereaved.

Originally Posted by crap coffee
smart people move overseas. feel like I am not the one.
But it's not about you is it love. It's about how Kiwigirlinalain feels , having lost her sister in the quake and how she feels at this moment in time. Her thoughts , naturally , turn to her homeland & her family still here in NZ.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, but the OP did ask for our opinions.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
At what point does it stop being an adventure and turn into just day to day routine and big bucks, as opposed to living on the kiwi dollar?.
if you're still loving it and not resenting the cultural differences, then stay. If not......
My ex uncle in law spent a bit if time in the ME and vowed never again to return because of certain attitudes.
Best of luck with your dilemma.
I have never resented the cultural differences, they just add to the thrill of life here. Living amongst such cultural diversity makes you a 'bigger' person. The big bucks don't exist any more, the global recession changed all of that. We have all had salary cuts here or loss of benefits. Some have stayed, others have left. We know we are making a contribution here, but also the proximity to the rest of the world is definitely what we came here for and we enjoy exploring. We can be in India in 3 hours of Europe in 6. From NZ those trips would mean our entire years holiday allocation. Travel and experiencing other cultures makes your thinking broader. I for one feel that that broader thinking will benefit NZ when we eventually return. Thanks for taking the time to reply and give me your views.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.