Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice
Default Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Hi, just wanted the opinion of fellow expats living in Napier and surrounds on how they find living in the area. We have lived in South East Auckland for 4 years and have come to the conclusion that we need to move on to a quieter life. Our Son is already working down there and we have thoroughly enjoyed our recents visits to him. Especially liked Havelock north, seemed to have a real homely feel to it. Property prices and rentals appear more affordable which greatly appeals. Would welcome your opinion and thoughts. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice
Default Re: Auckland to Hawkes Bay?

Anyone?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Auckland to Hawkes Bay?

I'll tweak the title. See if that helps.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

I'm afraid I'm not an expat but a NZer, but since no-one else has replied I'll give my unbiased opinion ( for what it's worth ). Firstly I have loads of family in Hawkes Bay and am very familiar with the province. You've remarked that Hawkes Bay is a lovely part of the country and I concur.

Havelock North has developed a great deal over the last few years. It's enormously popular with expats. It's always had a bit of a snooty reputation cos that's where the "old money" of Hawkes Bay tended to retire to. But times change and the few people I know who live there are certainly not snobs.
Napier I think is a pretty city especially Bluff Hill. It's probably a few degrees warmer in Napier over winter then Havelock North. The wind coming off the snow covered ranges in winter can be biting but otherwise expect to see pawpaw and banana trees growing in sheltered gardens on The Hill.

A decent regional hospital based in Hastings, private hospitals. Good schools. Handy to Taupo. Tramping in the Ruahine Ranges. A few hours to get to Urewera National Park. Nice beaches ( excluding the ones around Napier City ). Surf beach. Not too far to the ski slopes.

So what's not to like? For me it's just a bit out on a limb and a tad small. Takes awhile to drive to most major centres ie Wellinton.. Job situation? Maybe not that great for those in very specific jobs. ( sorry am typing in a rush ! )

I like Hawkes Bay.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

I think its a great idea. If I was staying in NZ long-term, Hawkes Bay (ideally Napier) is where I would go. The Bay is beautiful, has AFFORDABLE HOUSING and people there are quite friendly. It certainly has a good vibe. Unlike Auckland Council (all have their heads in the sand over housing, rail and cycle paths) they've put in loads of good cycle tracks so you can cycle virtually anywhere. One of my favourite things about Napier for sure. Then there's the wine..... I am very jealous!

Good luck if you go with it.

Last edited by davros1984; Jan 30th 2014 at 4:22 am.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Then there's the wine...
How could I forget all those vineyards and wineries?! I also forgot to mention the Drive In stalls selling fresh produce, the Mediterranean climate, the farmers markets, the Art Deco and arts scene. Heck I might just move there myself
Old Jan 30th 2014, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is a rather special area . We very nearly ended up there but Mr BEVS settled for the Nelson area as the job offer for Hawkes Bay was in Hastings at the time.

We looked at Havelock North which seemed a lovely village.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:27 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

PROS
Cast-away,edge of world lifestyle
Fabulous dry climate
Very friendly folk
Te Mata Peak walking trails
Flatness so ideal for commute cycling
Coffee superb
Produce is wonderful - so much better than waikato

CONS
Cast-away, edge of the world impacts negatively on work environments and worldliness
Lack of bush - denuded hillsides, slips, etc
You must love life in the bay because you won't be able to 'pop' anywhere else
Beaches are, imo, mostly a disappointment - better as you head into Central Hawkes Bay, but still mostly a bit crap (rough ocean, debris covered sand, denuded cliff/ hills ides behind)

HTH
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Love Napier and Hastings and the whole area. Lovely climate. Napier has real character and a good arts community. If I wasn't tied to the UK for various personal reasons, it would without any hesitation, be my first choice of retirement bolthole for all the reasons that others have described, although that's quite a few years away yet.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Smile Re: Thinkiing of moving to Hawkes Bay . Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Originally Posted by The harrisons
Hi, just wanted the opinion of fellow expats living in Napier and surrounds on how they find living in the area. We have lived in South East Auckland for 4 years and have come to the conclusion that we need to move on to a quieter life. Our Son is already working down there and we have thoroughly enjoyed our recents visits to him. Especially liked Havelock north, seemed to have a real homely feel to it. Property prices and rentals appear more affordable which greatly appeals. Would welcome your opinion and thoughts. Thanks in advance
Just saw your post so you may have moved already? I moved from Auckland (Mission Bay) to Napier 15 months ago & honestly I can say it is a wonderful town. No traffic, wonderful climate (even in winter) it is rare to have cloudy skies or rain. The climate of Auckland always got me down. Fruit & veg are locally grown & Fresh & Cheap. Lots of things to do & driving out of Napier within minutes you are in beautiful countryside & vineyards. Lovely walking paths everywhere. Great boutique cinemas The Globe in Ahurriri (Napier) & another in Havelock North, local theatre for live performances, MTG has lots of interesting events as does Napier Municipal theatre.
Property prices so much cheaper, we decided against Havelock North (most people there drive to Napier at weekends for things to do) & settled close to town overlooking a creek with willow trees. Friendly neighbours popped Welcome to the Neighbourhood cards in our letterbox, had gifts of fresh fish & venison, homemade cakes & biscuits. We never spoke to neighbours in Auckland & there 12 years!
Hawkes Bay seafoods make the best fish n chips & sell wonderful fresh seafood delived fresh from their fleet of fishing boats in Napier port. The Napier council does a great job maintaining parks & grass reserves always neat & tidy.
Oh & a wonderful library, what more could you ask for!