British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-you-would-never-have-done-before-you-got-nz-downbeat-stuff-762878/)

bourbon-biscuit Jul 8th 2012 3:33 am

Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10160492)
For my next trick I may go and bubble wrap some windows. :rofl:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10816562

Joke not- we did that on a UK house with a cold bathroom! Thanks for the reminder though as I think it would be ideal for my ensuite. I've used the film stuff in the kids' rooms where you hairdryer it taught.

sr71 Jul 8th 2012 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10160492)
..... I would never have spent a whole Sunday at home alone, thinking that at least doing the ironing, lighting some candles and putting the oven on would be a good substitute for central heating.

For my next trick I may go and bubble wrap some windows. :rofl:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10816562

It's catching on in Australia too, apparently it also reduces condensation quite a bit.

BEVS Jul 8th 2012 6:50 am

Feeling a bit stir crazy right now , so here you have it.

Only affording one holiday, offshore, in 8 years and that was for a week.

Can't go anywhere much here because of the costs of
1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

oh - & spare cash to do the above.

Spare me the posts about all the stuff the usual posts are all about. I've been here a while now. I'm entitled to feel I need a bit of something else, somewhere else... sometimes.

bourbon-biscuit Jul 8th 2012 6:55 am

I'd be going mental. I have perpetual wanderlust and a short attention span, so it's either exploring new places or moving to them. BEVS, is there any way you and your DH could do a house swap in Oz for a few months for a change of scene? My chum is house swapping in Cairns at the mo and has done Brissie too, but with Kiwi passports and no kids you could do a long one. Or is that the usual sort of totally unhelpful post?

mickey_d Jul 8th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10160586)

1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

Spare me the posts about all the stuff the usual posts are all about. I've been here a while now. I'm entitled to feel I need a bit of something else, somewhere else... sometimes.

Know how you feel, last holiday we had onshore or off was our reccie in February 2005!!! Something we didn't really expect:(

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 8th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10160586)

1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

When I win lotto I shall be sending you wherever you want to go;)

Persephone Jul 8th 2012 10:05 am

Had a close encounter with a whitetail:eek:

Warning: arachnophobes-DO NOT READ!!!

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen:eek: and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge:scaredhair:

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there:fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 8th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10160829)

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen:eek: and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge:scaredhair:

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there:fingerscrossed:

Was the spider frightened too:sneaky::hysterical::getcoat:

You're too kind, it would have been squished by me;)

stephen60 Jul 8th 2012 10:24 am

Interesting posts on health issues,
GP says I am suffering from Virus (unidentified).
I can run 6k's no problem, do a day's physical work no probs,
swim a dozen lengths no probs.
bend over, immediately breathless.
only other symptom is tired, even knowing that I have just had 8 hrs of solid sleep including me REM!
welcome to NZ.:unsure:

Caz8NZ Jul 8th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10160293)
I image myself like of one of those for Mash get Smash aliens -laughing hysterically to myself. Our place puts hyperlinks to Memos on the intranet too, so you then have to wade through a memo to find the attached form that you want and then have to print and Fax it, somewhere.

They would no doubt be stunned to find that a lot of the latest all singing and all dancing, multi-function printing and scanning devices have long since done away with the Fax option.

I work for...well one of the largest employers in Auckland.....before I came along, when we had notes that needed sending to my boss to review, we were photocopying them all (this could be around 100 sheets) and I was like, can't we just scan and email it?!? Oh what a good idea they said! They also do similar things with faxing and emailing etc etc. :nod:

Caz8NZ Jul 8th 2012 8:33 pm

are they poisonous or just big?!

Or do i not want to know?

I hate spiders.

In fact I hate all insects - erghhhhhh

BEVS Jul 8th 2012 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10160593)
I'd be going mental. I have perpetual wanderlust and a short attention span, so it's either exploring new places or moving to them. BEVS, is there any way you and your DH could do a house swap in Oz for a few months for a change of scene? My chum is house swapping in Cairns at the mo and has done Brissie too, but with Kiwi passports and no kids you could do a long one. Or is that the usual sort of totally unhelpful post?

Nooo. :p I meant the posts that say "Wazza matter with you. Moaning minny. You got all this free stuff on your doorstep. Go camping up the road . " type posts.

Funnily enough I've been exploring that idea a bit BB. Putting out the feelers. From what you write people would consider coming here in Winter.

Think what has set me off is it's holiday & travel time back up the North Hemisphere & UK. I'm seeing and reading all this stuff about jollies ,having gone precisely nowhere. Have also forked out for OH to go see the aged Smother-in-law over Xmas/New Year, who will be knocking 85 by then.

and.... whilst I'm having a moan on......

it was noise night, Saturday night. :p

Miss Nic Jul 9th 2012 12:54 am

Despite the clear warning I went ahead and read it and now I swear I can FEEL it on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Bo-Jangles Jul 9th 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10161489)

I hate spiders.

Maybe you won't want to know! :rofl:

They can be bitey, poisonous and big, however most we have seen are reasonably small. They're also pretty chunky beasts even in the smallest form so don't hide too well and are a bit slow. They don't run well so you have penty of time to get to the fly spray.

I hate spiders and insects too but have calmed down a lot since being here and learned to deal with most of them without having a total meltdown. :o Except for one thing, I think I would prefer to jump off a cliff than have to deal with a weta.

Persephone Jul 9th 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10161489)

I hate spiders.

They can give a nasty infected bite. Some say they are poisonous and others say not, depends on what they've just eaten I think. I have only seen two, one was much smaller but this ones body was about an inch long and then it had long chunky legs as well....:( Didn't help that it was close to either stepping onto my hand or falling into the bath on top of me. The stuff of nightmares indeed...

Originally Posted by Miss Nic (Post 10161666)
Despite the clear warning I went ahead and read it and now I swear I can FEEL it on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I do the right thing and give a warning and people still do not listen:p At least I didn't take a photo of it to show everyone;):lol:

Caz8NZ Jul 9th 2012 9:32 pm

:scaredhair:

:scarper:

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10162120)
They can give a nasty infected bite. Some say they are poisonous and others say not, depends on what they've just eaten I think. I have only seen two, one was much smaller but this ones body was about an inch long and then it had long chunky legs as well....:( Didn't help that it was close to either stepping onto my hand or falling into the bath on top of me. The stuff of nightmares indeed...

I do the right thing and give a warning and people still do not listen:p At least I didn't take a photo of it to show everyone;):lol:

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10162117)
Maybe you won't want to know! :rofl:

They can be bitey, poisonous and big, however most we have seen are reasonably small. They're also pretty chunky beasts even in the smallest form so don't hide too well and are a bit slow. They don't run well so you have penty of time to get to the fly spray.

I hate spiders and insects too but have calmed down a lot since being here and learned to deal with most of them without having a total meltdown. :o Except for one thing, I think I would prefer to jump off a cliff than have to deal with a weta.

Expat Kiwi Jul 12th 2012 1:08 am

:rofl: it must've been like that scene from Pyscho! Bath time and whitetails definitely do not mix.

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re...led_spider.jpg

Credit to you for not killing it, I think I'd have given it a whack with the rolled up supplement. Must've been something good you were reading ;) those things make a mess.

waikatoguy Jul 12th 2012 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10167670)
:rofl: it must've been like that scene from Pyscho! Bath time and whitetails definitely do not mix.

Just to put a more realistic perspective on it, the body of this Aussie invader (whitetail) is only 1.5 cms long, and the leg diameter is 2.8 cms. And in 50 years I've never seen one. Of more ugliness and more plentiful is the native Weta (especially if you live around bush), which are hideous creatures.

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 4:52 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10167847)
Just to put a more realistic perspective on it, the body of this Aussie invader (whitetail) is only 1.5 cms long, and the leg diameter is 2.8 cms. And in 50 years I've never seen one. Of more ugliness and more plentiful is the native Weta (especially if you live around bush), which are hideous creatures.

Never seen a Weta

Caz8NZ Jul 12th 2012 5:00 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10167991)
Never seen a Weta

You don't want to. They look hideous.

Miss Nic Jul 12th 2012 5:06 am

Never seen a Weta

Found one in my shoe once. I'd only just got here and had no clue what a weta was. I convinced myself it was some kind of scorpion (yes, I know)

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 5:07 am

getting dressed up with nowhere to go :ohmy:

but luckily this weekend girls weekend in Hawkes Bay ;):lol: let the partying begin hopefully :lol::drinkwine::drinkwine:

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10167999)
You don't want to. They look hideous.

I do :)

waikatoguy Jul 12th 2012 5:38 am

Never seen a Weta

They're harmless love30stm, but they sure are big and ugly. I think that's their defense mechanism. One species is the heaviest insect in the world apparently. One time out in the sleepout my old man built for me when I was a teenager, one crawled across my face while I was asleep. Gave me heart palpatations when it woke me up. Another time, camping in the bush, one got into my sleeping bag. I screamed, and of course my mates thought it was a big joke!

MOSO Jul 12th 2012 6:26 am

1 Attachment(s)
Wetas are trendy little creatures keeping up with the latest fads - here's one trying to make a bid for freedom on my son's scooter!!!!

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 12th 2012 7:03 am

Wearing socks at night as a matter of course during the winter.

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10168124)

Used to wear socks in winter in the UK? Do you mean in bed? If so put them on your partner ;)

Bo-Jangles Jul 12th 2012 7:19 am

Wearing PJs in bed is something I never did in the UK either.

bourbon-biscuit Jul 12th 2012 7:19 am

you need a feather duvet- puts an end to pjs!

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 12th 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10168148)

I have one bought from M&S before we left. Still need PJs & socks in bed:frown:. I only used to wear Chanel No.5 in bed in the UK.

Love30, I'm confused. Put my socks on the OH :unsure:. How does that work????????

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 7:28 am

You are joking aren't you? Lol I meant your feet :p

Haha you need to warm up in bed ;)

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10168147)
Wearing PJs in bed is something I never did in the UK either.

I wear pjs but husband only wears his pants! Lol he don't feel the cold

Beaverstate Jul 12th 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10168133)
Used to wear socks in winter in the UK? Do you mean in bed? If so put them on your partner ;)

No need anymore I trimmed my toe nails.:D

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 12th 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10168163)
You are joking aren't you? Lol I meant your feet :p

Haha you need to warm up in bed ;)

I was;) but the concept tickled me:rofl:

Bo-Jangles Jul 12th 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10168171)
I wear pjs but husband only wears his pants! Lol he don't feel the cold

I find that wearing the cat is a big help, trouble is he gets grumpy and buggers off if I don't leave one arm out for him to cuddle into.:rofl:

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 12th 2012 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10168191)
I find that wearing the cat is a big help, trouble is he gets grumpy and buggers off if I don't leave one arm out for him to cuddle into.:rofl:

Animals can be so demanding;)

love30stm Jul 12th 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10168180)
I was;) but the concept tickled me:rofl:

:p:rofl:

BEVS Jul 12th 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10168148)

Yis . Accept earthquake moments need more cover than none.

From experience.

Leither Jul 12th 2012 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10168497)
Yis . Accept earthquake moments need more cover than none.

From experience.

:rofl::rofl:

Haha. I have a former colleague who is married to a Turkish lad. Whilst visiting Turkey, she was sleeping "au naturale" when a quake hit. She is a slim but very WE young lady and she jumped out of bed and was on the street before you could say Jack Robinson.

Luckily, it was a small quake by Turkish standards so no one else was on the street (in the middle of Izmir) and her hubby got her back in before the neighbourhood seen her.:)

_0v0_ Jul 14th 2012 11:48 pm

I like wetas.

What I don't like: hearing about fun times at the <insert small town> Rugby Club quiz night- again and again and again and again, and hearing about how pished everyone got, as if it's in any way interesting.

Oh - one other thing - turning on NZ domestic television before turning it off again two minute later. I have now been ten years without a television.