British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Things to do in Christchurch this weekend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-do-christchurch-weekend-522997/)

oolie Mar 19th 2008 4:57 pm

Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

any ideas? We are going Friday morning coming back Monday afternoon with two kids 5 year old and 2 year old. I'm looking forward to going shopping but dont think I will get away with doing that for four days so any ideas for good things to do with kids?
Thanks

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 19th 2008 11:23 pm

Re: Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

Orana Park is the ChCh zoo out near the airport - great for kiddies and it's where I'll be taking my 2 nephews at some point (prob Sat as the weather not meant to be too fabby).

My all time favourite is to go to Lyttelton, then take the Black Cat ferry over to Diamond Harbour and walk up to Godley House. Let the kids run / crawl around like mad things in the beer garden whilst having a pint and some grub looking out at the great view of the Port Hills. Parking is free in Lyttelton, the Ferry is $10 return for adults and I think kiddies are free. A cheap way to burn time and enjoy the scenery. There's even a bus goes to Lyttelton if you don't have a car. Just by Godley House is a great big play field so you can take a footy or something to play with.

Erm... Hagley Park and the Botanical Gardens are always good. Loads of ducks for kids to feed - great in the evening with all the flower scents in the air.

There's three for a start - anyone else...?

Yotty Mar 19th 2008 11:40 pm

There's always Mona Vale ..and a walk along the beach at Brighton.. or have a "Flat White Coffee" in the cafe at Sumner... pop up to summit road and watch the paragliders... take a trip on the gondola..:)

Dustybin Mar 20th 2008 3:33 am

The pubs are open! :p

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 20th 2008 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Dustybin (Post 6087450)
The pubs are open! :p

Trust you :rofl:

Don't forget no alcohol sold on either Friday or Sunday here over Easter so stock up now if you need to. Not that I do - lots of lovely duty free awaits my return this eve :D :beer:

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 20th 2008 3:50 am

The Antarctic Centre near the airport is excellent. The five year old will probably love the ride in the Haglund (I seem to remember we paid extra for this but it's a good while back & I'm now plagued with senior moments :huh:), not sure the two year old will enjoy it though.
Have a good time whatever you decide to do.

oolie Mar 20th 2008 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 6087484)
Trust you :rofl:

Don't forget no alcohol sold on either Friday or Sunday here over Easter so stock up now if you need to. Not that I do - lots of lovely duty free awaits my return this eve :D :beer:

Thanks for all your replies. No drinking tomorrow or Sunday??? Even in a restaurant?? Why?? I havent met a church going Kiwi since I have been here! Anyone heard of/been to Ferrymead Heritage Park?

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 20th 2008 6:56 am

Originally Posted by oolie (Post 6087670)
Thanks for all your replies. No drinking tomorrow or Sunday??? Even in a restaurant?? Why?? I havent met a church going Kiwi since I have been here! Anyone heard of/been to Ferrymead Heritage Park?

Driven past it loads of times, but never been there myself. It's signposted off the ChCh to Sumner road, and looks very green as you drive by.

Thinking about it, I believe that there is an Easter Egg hunt in Hagley Park this weekend - do a google search on it - I reckon the kids would love that!

Andrew Cross Mar 20th 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by oolie (Post 6087670)

Yep we have been there, I have my mum and sister and her family here and we will be going on Sunday. Its not a bad day out. The steam train and the trams are on this weekend too, they also have a pony ride. Its worth the money, its not expensive to get in and the kids get to see what it was like 'back in the day'...:)

Wessa Mar 20th 2008 2:52 pm

We plan to take the kids to Orana zoo next week, you can scare the life out of them in a cage whilst feeding tigers etc..:thumbsup: have seen some good reviews. :thumbup: