Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

oolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really nice
Default Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

any ideas? We are going Friday morning coming back Monday afternoon with two kids 5 year old and 2 year old. I'm looking forward to going shopping but dont think I will get away with doing that for four days so any ideas for good things to do with kids?
Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:23 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Christchurch this weekend

Orana Park is the ChCh zoo out near the airport - great for kiddies and it's where I'll be taking my 2 nephews at some point (prob Sat as the weather not meant to be too fabby).

My all time favourite is to go to Lyttelton, then take the Black Cat ferry over to Diamond Harbour and walk up to Godley House. Let the kids run / crawl around like mad things in the beer garden whilst having a pint and some grub looking out at the great view of the Port Hills. Parking is free in Lyttelton, the Ferry is $10 return for adults and I think kiddies are free. A cheap way to burn time and enjoy the scenery. There's even a bus goes to Lyttelton if you don't have a car. Just by Godley House is a great big play field so you can take a footy or something to play with.

Erm... Hagley Park and the Botanical Gardens are always good. Loads of ducks for kids to feed - great in the evening with all the flower scents in the air.

There's three for a start - anyone else...?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

There's always Mona Vale ..and a walk along the beach at Brighton.. or have a "Flat White Coffee" in the cafe at Sumner... pop up to summit road and watch the paragliders... take a trip on the gondola..
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

The pubs are open!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:46 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin View Post
The pubs are open!
Trust you

Don't forget no alcohol sold on either Friday or Sunday here over Easter so stock up now if you need to. Not that I do - lots of lovely duty free awaits my return this eve
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:50 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

The Antarctic Centre near the airport is excellent. The five year old will probably love the ride in the Haglund (I seem to remember we paid extra for this but it's a good while back & I'm now plagued with senior moments ), not sure the two year old will enjoy it though.
Have a good time whatever you decide to do.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

oolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton View Post
Trust you

Don't forget no alcohol sold on either Friday or Sunday here over Easter so stock up now if you need to. Not that I do - lots of lovely duty free awaits my return this eve
Thanks for all your replies. No drinking tomorrow or Sunday??? Even in a restaurant?? Why?? I havent met a church going Kiwi since I have been here! Anyone heard of/been to Ferrymead Heritage Park?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by oolie View Post
Thanks for all your replies. No drinking tomorrow or Sunday??? Even in a restaurant?? Why?? I havent met a church going Kiwi since I have been here! Anyone heard of/been to Ferrymead Heritage Park?
Driven past it loads of times, but never been there myself. It's signposted off the ChCh to Sumner road, and looks very green as you drive by.

Thinking about it, I believe that there is an Easter Egg hunt in Hagley Park this weekend - do a google search on it - I reckon the kids would love that!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:21 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oolie View Post
Yep we have been there, I have my mum and sister and her family here and we will be going on Sunday. Its not a bad day out. The steam train and the trams are on this weekend too, they also have a pony ride. Its worth the money, its not expensive to get in and the kids get to see what it was like 'back in the day'...
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

We plan to take the kids to Orana zoo next week, you can scare the life out of them in a cage whilst feeding tigers etc.. have seen some good reviews.