Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is there a need for a 'welcome to Christchurch' service?

Is there a need for a 'welcome to Christchurch' service?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there a need for a 'welcome to Christchurch' service?

With the large influx of new migrants into Christchurch, I've been thinking about the many issues when arriving in a new city. So my question is, would it be helpful to have a 'Welcome to Christchurch' service?

The service would be run by a charity with volunteers. I'm envisaging the service would include:
  • Before arrival, assistance with accommodation for the first week. (booked for you) Longer if needed. Cost of accommodation paid directly to hotel, motel, etc.
  • Meet and greet at the airport.
  • Transport to your accommodation.
  • A friendly point of contact before and after arrival
  • City map, and perhaps a hints & tips book
Cost: Donation to the Driver of $50 and $200 to the Charity. Total $250.

What it is not:
A recruitment service or job finding service
A Visa service
Not for profit

Questions:
1) Is there a need for such a service?
2) What other services could be provided to assist with the arrival in a new city? (e.g: help with transport or buying a car)
3) What would you be prepared to pay for this service?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a need for a 'welcome to Christchurch' service?

Not being rude but I cant see the need or the point of it.
if someone can get themselves here rom the other side of the world then they
are surely capable of booking a motel, hailing a taxi, picking up a free street map
and asking one or two questions.

Its an English speaking country with a friendly population, Its not difficult really is it !!

Your charging someone 200 bucks for things that are free.

Why do some treat coming here as equivalent to going to the moon

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 21st 2013 at 1:45 am.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Not needed

But i'd change the name from Welcome to Christchurch, i'd make it Welcome to Christchurch, home of the orange cones!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

An acquaintance of mine tried this a while ago. She's not doing it now and hasn't been for a long time so I'm guessing it didn't work out.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, feedback and thoughts.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chc4me
With the large influx of new migrants into Christchurch, I've been thinking about the many issues when arriving in a new city. So my question is, would it be helpful to have a 'Welcome to Christchurch' service?

The service would be run by a charity with volunteers. I'm envisaging the service would include:
  • Before arrival, assistance with accommodation for the first week. (booked for you) Longer if needed. Cost of accommodation paid directly to hotel, motel, etc.

What it is not:
A Visa service
Not for profit

Questions:
2) What other services could be provided to assist with the arrival in a new city? (e.g: help with transport or buying a car)

Wouldn't they be better off going here? ... http://www.settlementsupport.net.nz/SSNZ/ssnzHome/
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chc4me

What it is not:
A Visa service
Not for profit

Questions:
As someone else has noted the chamber of commerce actually do this but also offer your paying services for free. Settlement support services chch/nz. I went for a job with the Chch branch and the service is very comprehensive and totally free (the service is govn funded). As regards home finding etc, there are a number of global relocation services operating for new migrants which are often provided by employers. I now work as a relocation consultant my clients are all migrants - their employer pays for our services which include all of the services you mention. Since this already exists, available for nothing to any migrant, (as regards the main employers they either already work in conjunction with ssnz/chamber of commerce or have contracts with global relocators.) I think you might struggle to get it off the ground...

Last edited by bellebellec1; Oct 24th 2013 at 6:13 pm.