Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Was there anything

Was there anything

Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Was there anything

Was there anything you wish you had brought over to NZ from the UK when you emigrated. We are now trying to sort out bits that we want to take with us and was wondering if there is anything we should buy over here before we leave ie electrical goods or furniture, clothes anything, any ideas please.
Steph.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:25 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Was there anything

By all accounts bring it all. What you don't need you can flog on trademe.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi Steph
We came over to NZ from UK 8 months ago. We had a 40 foot high cube container. I would bring as much as you can as, furniture shops are pretty poor here, not much choice.
You can bring all your electrical items, they will work here on an adapter plug.
Buy plenty of UK clothes. Including underwear.
We put a box of food in the container, Chocolate, Coffee, Gravy, twiglets, Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps, anything you love in the way of British nibbles as, you will not get it out here. Friends of ours out here, told us to do that. Im glad we did although, it has all gone now and we are left dreaming of such items to eat now.
Basically bring as much as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All our furniture we brought was new but, make sure you remove all labels and re-box.
But living here is great.
Julie

Last edited by Steve and Julie; Mar 30th 2008 at 7:19 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:04 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
Was there anything you wish you had brought over to NZ from the UK when you emigrated. We are now trying to sort out bits that we want to take with us and was wondering if there is anything we should buy over here before we leave ie electrical goods or furniture, clothes anything, any ideas please.
Steph.
helloooeeyyy.

just be sure any new things you buy, look about 12 months old, otherwise customs could slap a GST bill on you. You are allowed to bring up to $300 (i think it is, might be 350) worth of brand new goods into the country before you will be charged.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kate, Mikes doing diy at the mo the air is blue
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:34 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
helloooeeyyy.

just be sure any new things you buy, look about 12 months old, otherwise customs could slap a GST bill on you. You are allowed to bring up to $300 (i think it is, might be 350) worth of brand new goods into the country before you will be charged.
unless you are "doing a visitor" ....... then wait for your PR/WTR/work permit before it arrives
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sorry lardyl probably me being thick dont understand what you mean. We have PR visas already does this make a difference.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

sorry lardyl probably me being thick dont understand what you mean. We have PR visas already does this make a difference.
no you are sweet.....
what I meant was if you don't have a work or residence visa then importing your goods should incur charges.....
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ok i understand now. Looks like we need to buy lots of new stuff use it a bit then bring it over. I feel a shopping spree coming on, wheres Mr KDS credit card
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

ok i understand now. Looks like we need to buy lots of new stuff use it a bit then bring it over. I feel a shopping spree coming on, wheres Mr KDS credit card
Bear in mind though that you might need to keep some cash.....I often regret not making a lot more before we came over as pay here is peanuts, employers are pretty poor so people with PR often move on in the first few years and it is so easy to spend big and eat away at those savings as being here is like your hols.....

having said that I'd bring as much as you can on the furniture, front loader, kids clothing, books, rechargeable batteries (really), and electronics front.......

besta luck
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

Oh yeah - get a DVD recorder and record CBBC, decent BBC period drama, good BBC science/nature, UK sports, erm and anything else you can on the TV front as you will need some sanity in front of the box - we went down the expensive route involving DVD box sets, Play/Amazon and parents/family - much more of a fag.....
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Steph.
We brought everything and now have 4 dishwashers?!

Don't bring your car - not worth it.

We also did a huge 2 trolley Tesco/Asda clothes shop before we left which I'm pleased we did. I forgot new bedlinen and towels though?!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I take it towels and bedding are expensive out there, we have a super king size duvet over here and its really hard trying to find duvet covers for it, so will i be able to get anything out there, or are they like the americans and have comforters rather than duvets and covers.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:32 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it towels and bedding are expensive out there, we have a super king size duvet over here and its really hard trying to find duvet covers for it, so will i be able to get anything out there, or are they like the americans and have comforters rather than duvets and covers.
No they are duvet covers - but different sizing.

I think you'll need a King size for a super king , but could be wrong.

That was helpful!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice

A return ticket to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.