Terrified of making the wrong move

Terrified of making the wrong move

Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Cindyf67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Terrified of making the wrong move

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Been there, done that.

If that's an adventure, (which, apparently coming to New Zealand is) you can keep it. It's not my cup of tea.

New Zealand's scenery is lovely to look at but then it's time to go home. That's all it's ever meant to me. Well, after the inevitable 'duty visit' to the Auckland based in-laws of course.

Thanks, but you don't need to be sorry that I've not been able to find work. Unless it's voluntary work, i.e. work for nothing. Then they usually snatch my hand off. Which just about says it all really.

Seems so wrong that they will snatch your hand off for voluntary work, where once you are placed they should be looking at placing you in paid employment, seems very unfair, and I would not be happy with that at all. I can understand your complete frustration.

I get to put an up to date reference on my c.v. though and it's been useful if I've needed a manager's signature on the back of a photograph of me for an application form for something. So it's not a total loss but I can't carry on like this indefinitely.
Neither could I, you have tried and exhausted all avenues, there is only so much you can do before you give up.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 4:22 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cindyf67
Rain noooo!
It DOES rain a lot here, something like twice the UK rainfall - good news is it rains 4x as fast as the UK, so only spends half as much time raining IMHO...
Old Apr 14th 2016, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyf67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonsi
It DOES rain a lot here, something like twice the UK rainfall - good news is it rains 4x as fast as the UK, so only spends half as much time raining IMHO...
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi

You're a glass half full person you: thumbsup:
Old Apr 14th 2016, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

700mm since 1 jan! I hope it is just el Nino. But we did have nearly 100mm in an hour, they don't call the far north sub tropical for nothing :-)

But I have a farmer friend near Twizel (South Island) who is desperate for rain so pick the climate pattern before you settle, it is a big (small) country.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 2:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
You're a glass half full person you: thumbsup:
LOL - yes, but being so helps when migrating
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:08 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fourseasons
Yes, it is very tedious to have to deal with the comments when you announce you are going home with even a hint of the things you don't like. I soon stopped that and just give some vague reasons for returning whilst highlighting the things I do think are great about living here.

I sincerely hope that things will have changed when I go back, that's what happens. My life has changed, the lives of my family and friends have changed. Some changes will be good, others not so good. I have been home since we came here so have seen it for myself albeit in holiday mode. Since I've been here Auckland has changed and a lot of the changes have not been for the better. Judging by the current exodus to Tauranga and the like, Kiwis also agree with this.

Another thing I think people forget about migrants is that, if they are coming to NZ, they are highly qualified with good jobs with something to offer the country. This also means, almost certainly, that they have nice homes, cars, access to good schools - just a nice life style. I'm not going to apologise for expecting to be able to replicate this pretty closely when arriving here. It soon becomes draining when things you think are going to be pretty easy to sort prove time consuming and expensive. It is also draining (although I laugh about it now) when your experience and qualifications aren't quite good enough - you need Kiwi experience, even when there aren't any kiwis with that experience because you just can't get it here!

Anyway on to why we're going home. As I'm sure is true for others, it is a combination of factors. Lot of things I miss about the UK - family, friends, culture, proper seasons, great schools, decent newspapers, good TV, beautiful varied countryside, proximity to Europe, my beautiful home but most of all it's the feeling of belonging. When I returned to the UK for a holiday last year, I cried when I arrived, I had come home to the familiar and safe.

There simply isn't enough to keep us here.
- Personally I have been disappointed with education. I think my children will have much better options long term if they are educated in the UK. Standards vary a lot.
- The housing is terrible unless you have $$$
- Customer Service - what's that again?
- Limited choices when it comes to shopping
- Food more expensive, especially seasonally
- NZ overall is pretty insular

For balance, here are the things I like about living here:
- Hauraki harbour is beautiful
- Love going to the beach, surfing etc
- Weather is good, generally although it does rain more than you expect and it is colder for longer than I expected
- Coffee cultures - lots of little individual coffee shops
- Eating out - we do that more here and find it very reasonable, especially all the Asian food
- Proximity to Australia
Interesting views you have on the UK from being so far away. England does have its beauty of course and you have to sometimes find it however. I would say that currently for me, England is mostly dirty, polluted, roads are overcrowded, the culture is appalling with most people dim, celebrity obsessed and with noses buried in their phones. The quality of food in cafes and restaurants has gone down and the prices up, no one seems to care about anything important, just the easy pointless stuff. Some schools are good but the majority are poor, teachers are disengaged, discipline is non existent, the badly behaved kids are pandered to and receive treats for not being evil. The kids are tested to distraction by a desperate and schizophrenic department for education. England is really not what it was 20 years ago. Maybe I'm not either!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Interesting views you have on the UK from being so far away.
I'm not 'so far away', so perhaps I'm actually allowed a view?! I don't recognise the England you've just described. I have days where I don't see another living creature (unless you count the deer/guinea fowl/pheasants in the field next door), the food is amazing with loads of good pubs (far better than it was 20 years ago, and improving all the time IMO), my kids are at great schools with around 24 to a class (and discipline is alive and well for those that don't behave!), and I don't know anybody that is celebrity obsessed.

So those things can be avoided by moving elsewhere, not everywhere is like the England you've described (in fact, I don't know anywhere that is!).
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:17 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I wasn't saying you can't have an opinion...

I'm intrigued, where do you live? I live in South Manchester and it perfectly describes life here for us. I've also lived in South Wales and south west.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:53 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I wasn't saying you can't have an opinion...

I'm intrigued, where do you live? I live in South Manchester and it perfectly describes life here for us. I've also lived in South Wales and south west.
I lived in south manchester until i moved here 8/9 years ago and you do paint a dismal view of it. My memories AND my visits do not equate with your description either. Views of what is good/bad will always be subjective, none are right or wrong, just opinions and experiences...

I would have probably been more negative before we moved as we needed change...but with our overseas experiences on board, it is sometimes the small things we miss - like choice in the supermarket for one, and new products - if we get something new here its a huge thing...
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:16 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I lived in south manchester until i moved here 8/9 years ago and you do paint a dismal view of it. My memories AND my visits do not equate with your description either. Views of what is good/bad will always be subjective, none are right or wrong, just opinions and experiences...

I would have probably been more negative before we moved as we needed change...but with our overseas experiences on board, it is sometimes the small things we miss - like choice in the supermarket for one, and new products - if we get something new here its a huge thing...
Yes you are right it's all subjective. I notice negative things I suppose because they get me down. For instance I truly believe it has rained 4 out of every 5 days here for the last 6 months. That's gonna make you feel pretty fed up!

I went to a supermarket in devonport, I think it was a new world and I didn't notice the lack of variety on the shelves particularly. Ok it wasn't a hyper market like a big sainsburys or a leclerc but the fresh produce was pretty impressive and meat looked fresh and good value. I came away thinking it was fine.

Are there any large supermarkets like you'd get on the outskirts of UK cities/towns?

Also, (one last question!!) why is there so much negativity on social media regarding NZ? I am wondering whether it's justified or whether it is a self selecting group who are more likely to comment if things aren't going so well. Perhaps there are lots of ex pats who are happy and don't subscribe to these sorts of fora?

Cheers

Last edited by Munchkjn; Apr 19th 2016 at 8:22 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:28 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right it's all subjective. I notice negative things I suppose because they get me down. For instance I truly believe it has rained 4 out of every 5 days here for the last 6 months. That's gonna make you feel pretty fed up!

I went to a supermarket in devonport, I think it was a new world and I didn't notice the lack of variety on the shelves particularly. Ok it wasn't a hyper market like a big sainsburys or a leclerc but the fresh produce was pretty impressive and meat looked fresh and good value. I came away thinking it was fine.

Are there any large supermarkets like you'd get on the outskirts of UK cities/towns?

Also, (one last question!!) why is there's so much negativity on social media regarding NZ? I am wondering whether it's is justified or whether it is a self selecting group whom are more likely to comment if things aren't going so well. Perhaps there are lots of ex pats who are happy and don't subscribe to these sorts of fora?

Cheers
I think there will always be an element of those that are unhappy are more likely to express it than those that are happy. For me, I enjoyed the first 5 years, despite some frustrations, but that sense of belonging for me overrides everything else, not helped by the work i do.

Like I said, I was negative before we moved, and I have been a bit negative about NZ, but not so much as I am now able to see things in a more balanced light.

There are many things that are good, particularly if you like the outdoors, but there are many issues that are not 'advertised' that aren't so great, but these again are different for everyone. I think the fact that NZ immigration go to great lengths to entice highly skilled professionals to move over, but then when you get here you find that the locals don't want you and you have to start at the bottom of the heap is very frustrating for one. There are others.

Supermarkets - no they don't have anything at all like Tesco Extra etc.

The New World in Devonport is ok, most New Worlds are about that size. It may seem ok, but after 8 years and that is all you have - its very tedious. They tend to have the better quality produce and their meat counter in Albany is excellent, but not cheap.

In Devonport that is the only supermarket, the next nearest one is Countdown in Takapuna.

So you have Countdown, some are ok, some not so great - it all depends on location as to what they stock, there is New World and then Pak n Save - they tend to be a bit bigger, not massive at all, and are basic with concrete flooring etc., to keep prices down. Pak n Save and New World are owned by the same company but you will pay more in New World for the same product because the store is a bit nicer! So only two supermarket chains - limited competition.

So many stores here are owned buy singular companies, the choice and competition is limited, so prices tend to be higher. This applies to clothing chains and stationary shops etc too.

Cafe culture is excellent, as is the wine and the wineries, but those things can only keep you going for so long.

Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:47 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I think there will always be an element of those that are unhappy are more likely to express it than those that are happy. For me, I enjoyed the first 5 years, despite some frustrations, but that sense of belonging for me overrides everything else, not helped by the work i do.

Like I said, I was negative before we moved, and I have been a bit negative about NZ, but not so much as I am now able to see things in a more balanced light.

There are many things that are good, particularly if you like the outdoors, but there are many issues that are not 'advertised' that aren't so great, but these again are different for everyone. I think the fact that NZ immigration go to great lengths to entice highly skilled professionals to move over, but then when you get here you find that the locals don't want you and you have to start at the bottom of the heap is very frustrating for one. There are others.

Supermarkets - no they don't have anything at all like Tesco Extra etc.

The New World in Devonport is ok, most New Worlds are about that size. It may seem ok, but after 8 years and that is all you have - its very tedious. They tend to have the better quality produce and their meat counter in Albany is excellent, but not cheap.

In Devonport that is the only supermarket, the next nearest one is Countdown in Takapuna.

So you have Countdown, some are ok, some not so great - it all depends on location as to what they stock, there is New World and then Pak n Save - they tend to be a bit bigger, not massive at all, and are basic with concrete flooring etc., to keep prices down. Pak n Save and New World are owned by the same company but you will pay more in New World for the same product because the store is a bit nicer! So only two supermarket chains - limited competition.

So many stores here are owned buy singular companies, the choice and competition is limited, so prices tend to be higher. This applies to clothing chains and stationary shops etc too.

Cafe culture is excellent, as is the wine and the wineries, but those things can only keep you going for so long.

Cheers
Thankyou for the information. It's all very helpful for us.

In some ways the lack of big supermarkets is quite refreshing (but I can see that it would be tedious sometimes too). I like the idea of communities with independent shops including a butcher, baker, cand.. no. I liked that about Gloucester Rd in Bristol, but at least we had the big supermarkets when we needed them too.

Its so hard to make that final push when you hear so many disenchanted and returning. I have a friend in Aucks (been there 1 year) and one in Welly (11 years) who love it and keep saying I would too. I worry about my kids though particularly the one in Y6 who has got into a grammar here. My wife worries that she won't find work. I am lucky in that I have a really good job offer which I'm excited about but it won;t be enough if the rest of them are miserable. We are thinking about Kapiti coast, I noticed there are one or two on here who live in that area. I know its a commute but I have a plan there and I don't mind commuting by train.

Thanks for listening to my 1st world problems
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:54 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Thankyou for the information. It's all very helpful for us.

In some ways the lack of big supermarkets is quite refreshing (but I can see that it would be tedious sometimes too). I like the idea of communities with independent shops including a butcher, baker, cand.. no. I liked that about Gloucester Rd in Bristol, but at least we had the big supermarkets when we needed them too.

Its so hard to make that final push when you hear so many disenchanted and returning. I have a friend in Aucks (been there 1 year) and one in Welly (11 years) who love it and keep saying I would too. I worry about my kids though particularly the one in Y6 who has got into a grammar here. My wife worries that she won't find work. I am lucky in that I have a really good job offer which I'm excited about but it won;t be enough if the rest of them are miserable. We are thinking about Kapiti coast, I noticed there are one or two on here who live in that area. I know its a commute but I have a plan there and I don't mind commuting by train.

No worries, until you make the jump you will never know if it is right for you - and like we have said, everyone's opinion is different.

There are some excellent fruit & veg shops and butchers too, but I get annoyed when I can't even get basics some days.

I don't have any experience of schooling here as my girls went straight to uni when we arrived. Although a grammar school education is a good point, and one I had back in the day... you need to look at it closely and hopefully those on the Kapiti Coast can give you better advice on these issues. There are Grammar Schools in Auckland, Auckland & Takapuna, but not sure if these are actually private and not state funded as in the UK.

Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

What does your wife do? Maybe we can help with her finding work.
I have friends in the Kapiti area (Paraparumu), it looks a nice enough area and our friends report that weather is better than in Wellington. My friend prefers the weather up here but her OH prefers it down there as he doesn't deal with heat too well.

I be concerned that you are planning to move to Welly when you are complaining about the weather in south Manchester. I'd read up on the roaring forties!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.