Tenacy rights?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Tenacy rights?

Hiya,

Before I go marching off to the real-estate office, I thought I'd check here first as to the NZ rights / norms regarding house rentals.

We've moved into a rental property, and signed up for a 6 month agreement. As such have also filled in and signed an inventory - but have a few gripes, and real estate agents have not returned my call.

So .. am I right to complain about the following:

1) We still only have 1 key for the property,the owner was supposed to leave the full set when he'd completed the jobs prior to us moving in.

2) house was filthy ... downstairs carpets on hoovering we collected 6 hoover bags!! Every surface was covered in thick layers of dust. In our contract is states we have to have the place profesionally cleaned .. can they still demand that, given the state the place was in when we moved in?

3) A couple of minor promised jobs have not been completed .. not so fussed about these

4) Bare wire hanging from ceiling .. have no idea if these are live, and whilst not able to reach them, is a bug bear.

So .. what d'ya think? Agents have their money, and seem completely un-interested in us now .. is this just common occurance? My husband seems to think it's no point complaining, and to just live with it all, and say bye-bye to our bond.

TIA,

Lou
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenacy rights?

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Hiya,

Before I go marching off to the real-estate office, I thought I'd check here first as to the NZ rights / norms regarding house rentals.

We've moved into a rental property, and signed up for a 6 month agreement. As such have also filled in and signed an inventory - but have a few gripes, and real estate agents have not returned my call.

1) We still only have 1 key for the property,the owner was supposed to leave the full set when he'd completed the jobs prior to us moving in.

2) house was filthy ... downstairs carpets on hoovering we collected 6 hoover bags!! Every surface was covered in thick layers of dust. In our contract is states we have to have the place profesionally cleaned .. can they still demand that, given the state the place was in when we moved in?

3) A couple of minor promised jobs have not been completed .. not so fussed about these

4) Bare wire hanging from ceiling .. have no idea if these are live, and whilst not able to reach them, is a bug bear.

So .. what d'ya think? Agents have their money, and seem completely un-interested in us now .. is this just common occurance? My husband seems to think it's no point complaining, and to just live with it all, and say bye-bye to our bond.

TIA,

Lou
Hi,

Not sure on your rights. Possibly if the house was that filthy you should'nt have moved in.

These people have all the answers, give them a call and good luck!

www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-index
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

TIA,

Lou
Hi Lucy

Visit that tenant's website or ring them. We never had any probs inl our rentals but as you have to have it professionally cleaned when you leave, it should be that it has to be professionally cleaned before you move in. Stands to reason doesn't it. Threaten the Agents that you are going to cancel the rent payments until it is sorted. They will soon ring you back!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

TIA,

Lou
no, complain, complain and then complain some more, do not rest on this sort of thing, if you do turn a blind eye it will encourage further sloppy behaviour by these people......

I am fortunate that I am not a tenant but you want to heart me 'go off' in a restaurant if the food/service is not satisfactory...
do not suffer bad service, it will eat away at you... get it off your chest, soon.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shirl
Hi Lucy

Visit that tenant's website or ring them. We never had any probs inl our rentals but as you have to have it professionally cleaned when you leave, it should be that it has to be professionally cleaned before you move in. Stands to reason doesn't it. Threaten the Agents that you are going to cancel the rent payments until it is sorted. They will soon ring you back!!
Excellent idea, threaten withholding rent, that will make them jump to attention.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Tenancy Servics are really helpful at DBH. We emailed them with a problem last year and got a response within 24 hours and a follow up too

Be careful with regards to withholding rent. It could work against you, as the Tenancy Act states that you may NOT withhold rent if repairs are not carried out.

As the OP suggests look at the website

Good Luck
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

If it was me I would take pictures of things you are not happy about and the things that havn't been done as evidence for you in the future..you never know what they will come up with when its time for you to move on,this will give you bargaining power...I know friends of our had a hard time with her landlord when it was time to move,they withheld her deposit..She ended up going to the tenants tribunal and won,aparantly they more often that not side with the tennants..But I would definitely complain in writing and send the pics to them too..keep a copy as this is all proof and as I've said can only help your case should anything crop up in the future...But hopefully things will settle down for you...gl...Jacky
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:33 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

[

Does the inventory OR contract mention extra set? Are there two names on the contract?

A property MUST be left in a reasonable, tidy manner when you vacate. A real estate agency CANNOT request it be professionally cleaned. If you make a REASONABLE attempt to clean it, but the agency feels its not good enough THEY need to make a claim to the bond agency for some of your bond. In that instance, I would take photos of the place when you leave.

You need to write a 10 DAY WORKING LETTER. Make sure its dated. Bullet point exactly what you need done. This is a legally recognised way to request work being done. If the agency do NOT respond within those 10 days, you can lodge this with tenancy services. You cannot do this BEFORE you've issued a 10 day working letter. A template for this letter can be downloaded from the tenancy advisory website, but you can you just compile your own.

I absolutely HATE to see good tenants being treated like second class citizens, its one of the reasons I left my job as a Property Manager. If you don't know your rights, or don't assert your rights, agencies will almost definitely take advantage of you. I understand your husband not wanting to make a complaint about this, but the reality is, you PAY rent and as its through an agency, you obviously paid a letting fee.

I would stick within the lines of the tenancy laws as opposed to 'complaints' or sorting things out verbally. Eveything should be documented and written requests made professionally. This covers your back and ensures that the tenancy tribunal will look more favourably on you should it come to that in the end. This country has a fantastic structure for tenancy rights, I would encourage everyone to utulise it and know their rights.

Good luck to you and I wish you a smooth ride in getting what you need done.

Lou[/QUOTE]