Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

teacher wanting more info about life in NZ

teacher wanting more info about life in NZ

Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:49 am
Just Joined

paulemma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teacher wanting more info about life in NZ

I am a Early Years / Primary School Teacher and am just about to send my qualifications off to be assessed and to get my teacher registration. Can any other teachers tell me what it is like teaching in NZ and what the process was like for you.
Another thing I would like to know more about is the phone interview! What type of questions do they ask you? HOw long does it last?Do they speak to your OH?
We are looking at the Auckland area, Bay of Plenty and Hamilton so if anyone has any experiences of teaching / living in these areas I would love to hear more.
Thanks
Emma 31, Paul 35 and William 15 months
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teacher wanting more info about life in NZ

I dont know anything about teaching except that there are always
loads of jobs advertised for early years teachers.
Cant see why they would want to speak to your other half he's not
the one applying for the job
If you need to know anything about Hamilton just ask away
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

paulemma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
Thank you - I have been looking ta few job websites and have seen loads of Early years jobs so am pleased about that.
We have been looking at houses on the web and have not seen many brick houses! What are the houses like? In the winter is it very cold as not many have central heating (so we have read). What are the areas to live in like in Hamilton? Some info about some good ones would be great. What outdoor activites are there to do?
Any info about daily living would be great. Thank you
Emma 31, Paul 35 and Will 15 months
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma, word of caution, Early Years Teachers in NZ are not the same as Primary teachers here, nor do they at present recognise our UK Early Years Teaching quals. Not talking about BEd or PGCE but Early Year Dips or Degree add ons.
My Primary BEd Hons Degree was assessed as al Level 7 which is an ordinary degree level in NZ.
Sorry if that sounds a bit confusing, feel free to PM me if you want any more info x
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

nikkikersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
Please can you help - I am interested learning about life in and around Hamilton and Waikato. I am a secondary school teacher thinking of moving out with husband and young family. Very concerned at the crime rates I have looking at and would like to know what it is really like? Figures are one thing, but is caution the watch-word for life in New Zealand? Doesn't seem to be fair when I weigh up all the benefits of life in NZ. please help undecided Nikki