Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher registration advice please!

Teacher registration advice please!

Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher registration advice please!

Hello!

With regard to question 10 - Supervised teaching experience - ProfessionalStatus, I am wondering if this means my NQT year that I completed after my PGCE? I had a 'mentor' but she didn't 'supervise' my teaching! The notes in the 'help' guide, accompanying the form say this;

Question 10 - Supervised teaching experience – Professional Status
a) Tick “yes” if, after completion of your teacher education programme, you have completed a planned programme of supervised
teaching with a mentor teacher, during your teaching service. You should also provide a signed, official statement on the
learning centre’s letterhead fully describing the system of support and appraisal provided that includes specific evidence of this programme.

Do I tick 'yes' and if do, what evidence do I send? Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher registration advice please!

This link explains the process newly qualified NZ teachers go through and it sounds like they're looking for evidence of something similar which presumably NQTs go through in the UK?

"Through this programme of support, the PRT, mentor and the professional leader will gather evidence of the progress being made by the PRT towards meeting the standard for full registration. At the end of the induction period, the professional leader is required to use this evidence to make a judgement that all the Registered Teacher Criteria have been met at a level of competence that gives confidence that the teacher should be accepted as a confirmed member of the profession. The Registered Teacher Criteria describe satisfactory teaching for registration purposes. All fully registered teachers are required to be meaningfully assessed against and meet the Criteria to maintain full registration and a practising certificate on an ongoing basis.

The PRT also needs to retain evidence of their induction and mentoring programme and to submit this to the Council if requested to do so."

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/prt/index.stm

In the UK NQT quidelines it says:
Record keeping
It is important to keep induction records for each NQT and to maintain the confidentiality of these records. The induction tutor is advised to keep the following, copied for the NQT:
• a copy of the personalised induction programme
• any notes made at, or following, progress or review meetings
• records of any monitoring activities and copies of the assessment forms. NQT should have the original copies of the assessment forms
• details of any professional development offered and/or undertaken, and
• any feedback comments on the induction process.
It is recommended that assessment reports are retained for a minimum of six years.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publica...ion_tutors.pdf

Therefore I assume this is what you need to be providing.

Last edited by MOSO; Jul 14th 2012 at 8:29 pm. Reason: googled NQT for interest!
Old Jul 15th 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Quirky Camper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teacher registration advice please!

Originally Posted by MOSO
This link explains the process newly qualified NZ teachers go through and it sounds like they're looking for evidence of something similar which presumably NQTs go through in the UK?

"Through this programme of support, the PRT, mentor and the professional leader will gather evidence of the progress being made by the PRT towards meeting the standard for full registration. At the end of the induction period, the professional leader is required to use this evidence to make a judgement that all the Registered Teacher Criteria have been met at a level of competence that gives confidence that the teacher should be accepted as a confirmed member of the profession. The Registered Teacher Criteria describe satisfactory teaching for registration purposes. All fully registered teachers are required to be meaningfully assessed against and meet the Criteria to maintain full registration and a practising certificate on an ongoing basis.

The PRT also needs to retain evidence of their induction and mentoring programme and to submit this to the Council if requested to do so."

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/prt/index.stm

In the UK NQT quidelines it says:
Record keeping
It is important to keep induction records for each NQT and to maintain the confidentiality of these records. The induction tutor is advised to keep the following, copied for the NQT:
• a copy of the personalised induction programme
• any notes made at, or following, progress or review meetings
• records of any monitoring activities and copies of the assessment forms. NQT should have the original copies of the assessment forms
• details of any professional development offered and/or undertaken, and
• any feedback comments on the induction process.
It is recommended that assessment reports are retained for a minimum of six years.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publica...ion_tutors.pdf

Therefore I assume this is what you need to be providing.
This is very help ful, thank you. Unfortunately, I haven't kept any of my NQT year notes/observations etc. Yikes. I am hoping that a certified copy of the induction process (from my school where I completed my NQT year, will be enough?
Thank you for your help in this!