British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tea!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tea-601776/)

Lee Lee Apr 4th 2009 2:50 pm

Tea!!!

Hi

We are visiting Christchurch very soon and i love my cuppa in the morning. Can i buy Tetley tea bags or should i take some with me? Its the little things that keep me happy! :p

Also we are going in autumn, whats the weather generally like? Do you get lots of rain?

Margaret Parkinson Apr 4th 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Tea!!!

Originally Posted by Lee Lee (Post 7451306)
Hi

We are visiting Christchurch very soon and i love my cuppa in the morning. Can i buy Tetley tea bags or should i take some with me? Its the little things that keep me happy! :p

Also we are going in autumn, whats the weather generally like? Do you get lots of rain?

Take some with you they don't take up much room. The nearest we got to Tetley's on our visit was Twinings.:thumbsup:

Lee Lee Apr 4th 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks for the tip i'll put some in my case, my husband doesnt like twinings! :thumbsup:

coast to coast Apr 4th 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lee Lee (Post 7451306)
Hi

I'm guessing you're in the UK coming to NZ? I'm from Scotland ,in NZ now. I find NZ Autumn a bit like a Scottish Spring. Feb we had a lot of rain March and April have been dry. We've had alot of clear blue skies and hot sunny days March/April sometimes the air temp can be cool(and cooler in the shade) but other times it can feel like a hot UK summers day. So you can get away with shorts and sandals, if you're caught out though you'll get cold - trousers with a light top and a cardi or fleece for backup is a good way to go I find.
As soon as the sun goes down the temp drops quickly and can have a good chill to it, same with the mornings. When it's cloudy it tends to be pretty cold and can be a bit of a wind to. I don my jeans, winter woolies and boots, if the sun comes out though you'll cook.
So hope that's of some help, trying to be prepared for a bit all weathers is the best, defo. bring water proof jacket and SUN SCREEN

RobClubley Apr 4th 2009 6:47 pm

You can get PG Tips at our local Pak N Save :D

sparkie down under Apr 5th 2009 3:30 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 7451733)
You can get PG Tips at our local Pak N Save :D

can't get Glengette anywhere:(

Lee Lee Apr 5th 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by coast to coast (Post 7451708)
I'm guessing you're in the UK coming to NZ? I'm from Scotland ,in NZ now. I find NZ Autumn a bit like a Scottish Spring. Feb we had a lot of rain March and April have been dry. We've had alot of clear blue skies and hot sunny days March/April sometimes the air temp can be cool(and cooler in the shade) but other times it can feel like a hot UK summers day. So you can get away with shorts and sandals, if you're caught out though you'll get cold - trousers with a light top and a cardi or fleece for backup is a good way to go I find.
As soon as the sun goes down the temp drops quickly and can have a good chill to it, same with the mornings. When it's cloudy it tends to be pretty cold and can be a bit of a wind to. I don my jeans, winter woolies and boots, if the sun comes out though you'll cook.
So hope that's of some help, trying to be prepared for a bit all weathers is the best, defo. bring water proof jacket and SUN SCREEN

Thanks very much, i'll try to pack a little bit of everything to cover all weathers!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 5th 2009 9:09 pm

I find Twinings English Breakfast weak & insipid (liked it in the UK though :sneaky:). Dilmah extra strong makes an excellent cuppa :thumbup:

Soppydot4 Apr 5th 2009 9:58 pm

I wasn't really struck on Twinings breakfast either. I plumped for Bells Finest Ceylon teabags which I really quite like. I too was a big fan of Tetley and might have to ask the in-laws to bring some over when they come in May.

Lee Lee Apr 6th 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7452422)
can't get Glengette anywhere:(

I've never heard of it, is it tea?!

zoglet Apr 6th 2009 6:07 pm

Does any one know if we are allowed to bring tea bags with us from the UK?

dkb_herts Apr 6th 2009 6:33 pm

Don't try to smuggle in any sort of food. There are sniffer dogs.

sarahw Apr 6th 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by dkb_herts (Post 7456783)
Don't try to smuggle in any sort of food. There are sniffer dogs.

But they're usually fine if you declare it and it's in an unopened packet that clearly shows what's inside. I've always got my rations of jaffa cakes through OK that way !!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 6th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7456684)
Does any one know if we are allowed to bring tea bags with us from the UK?

Yes, no problem at all as long as you declare them :thumbup: