Tax Time!

Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question Tax Time!

Sorry but it is a boring tax question ...... we moved to NZ in Oct and are presently filling out our UK tax return (have rental property in UK) which got me thinking about the NZ tax return (IR3).
I have used the IRD online calculator which says we will be due a tax rebate as we have only been working for half the year, hence have paid to much tax.
My question is ...... do we just submit the personal tax summary bit to claim our rebate or will we need to fill in an IR3 because we need to include what income we had in the UK and how much we paid in UK tax for the first half of the year?
Our UK rental income will not be included as we have the 4 year excemption but I do not think wages are included in this excemption hence we have to tell IRD?

Any help appreciated
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Time!

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Sorry but it is a boring tax question ...... we moved to NZ in Oct and are presently filling out our UK tax return (have rental property in UK) which got me thinking about the NZ tax return (IR3).
I have used the IRD online calculator which says we will be due a tax rebate as we have only been working for half the year, hence have paid to much tax.
My question is ...... do we just submit the personal tax summary bit to claim our rebate or will we need to fill in an IR3 because we need to include what income we had in the UK and how much we paid in UK tax for the first half of the year?
Our UK rental income will not be included as we have the 4 year excemption but I do not think wages are included in this excemption hence we have to tell IRD?

Any help appreciated

You HAVE to fill in an IR3 if you have not worked a full year in NZ. Like we came here April 24th and thus HAD to submit an IR3 as we had missed the 1st 24 days of the fiscal year. With respect to what you earned in the Uk prior to your arrival is of no business to IRD NZ as you were not resident here thus they have no interest in what you earned afore you arrived...or have I misunderstood your question? Surely you only need to declare what income you earned once you arrived on NZ soil..namely the wonga from Oct to 31st March 2010.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply Genesis, I knew you would know the answer!

I think I was bit confused because in a 'normal' full tax year you have to declare any income from the UK (including wages) and how much you have already been taxed, then IRD work out if you need to pay any more tax over what you have already had deducted in the UK (double taxation agreement). However I think you are correct that in the first (split) year it does not matter what you earned in UK - thanks for the info. So all we need to do in our IR3's is fill in the bit about what we have earned in NZ since arriving.

For anyone else interested the info is here: IRD_IR3

Out of interest did IRD send you an IR3 or did you have to apply for one - when did you submit yours? I think we will do ours online.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to bump this back up but did people automatically receive their IR3 in the first year in NZ or did you have to request one?

Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bump this back up but did people automatically receive their IR3 in the first year in NZ or did you have to request one?

Thanks
automatically in May
Old May 16th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Just wondering if anyone has received their Personal tax summaries or Summaries of earnings or IR3s for this year yet?
Old May 16th 2010, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

No yet, but as this is your first year I would not assume that anything will automatically turn up. We saw nothing from IRD for the first three years we were here and only then after we asked for summary of earnings.

In order to submit IR3 online you will need to register first and will still need to sight the paper version for the Document Lodgement Number (DLN). If I were you I would request the forms from IRD, if you haven't already done so.

You can request the summary of earnings online here; http://www.ird.govt.nz/online-servic...e-request.html

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 16th 2010 at 8:52 am.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone has received their Personal tax summaries or Summaries of earnings or IR3s for this year yet?
I was talking to IRD this morning & asked them this. They are due to be sent out between 24th & 26th May.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
You HAVE to fill in an IR3 if you have not worked a full year in NZ. Like we came here April 24th and thus HAD to submit an IR3 as we had missed the 1st 24 days of the fiscal year. With respect to what you earned in the Uk prior to your arrival is of no business to IRD NZ as you were not resident here thus they have no interest in what you earned afore you arrived...or have I misunderstood your question? Surely you only need to declare what income you earned once you arrived on NZ soil..namely the wonga from Oct to 31st March 2010.
I dont think you have to fill out an IR3 merely because you have not worked the whole year. You have to fill out an IR3 if you have income from more than one source, ie if you spent part of the year living and working in the UK. If you took unpaid leave and were merely holidaying in europe for say 2 months you dont have to fill out an IR3, if all your income was in NZ and you paid tax via PAYE.

What you earned in the UK is the business of NZ IRD, because if you are NZ tax resident you get taxed on all your worldwide income, irrespective of where it was earned. Or that is my understanding, but I may be wrong. You do get double taxation relief, ie your taxes paid on earnings in the UK get credited against your tax burden in NZ.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
automatically in May
I never saw one and I arrived in October in my first year.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I never saw one and I arrived in October in my first year.
You get sent one if you're on the IRD's system as something other than on PAYE (self employed, declaring income from other sources like rent etc). Most people on one salaried job, paying PAYE dont get sent anything.

If you register online with IRD you can see what you are registered as, and you can check your earning and tax online throughout the year. you can also use the onlione system to request a personal tax summary, find out if you need to submit an IR3, and if you do, you can submit one onlie etc....
Old May 17th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The IRD website states that you need to file an IR3 is you 'left or arrived in New Zealand part-way through the year'.
I have contacted IRD before and am registered for their online services so will wait until the end of the month, if I have not received anything by then I will get in contact with them again......... just want some $s back
Old May 17th 2010, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I got my letter today with the DLN Number so that I can file online.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to fill in an IR3 and not a personal tax summary if you were resident for tax purposes for only part of the year. I did one last year, I suppose most people will be due a refund if they were in NZ less than one year and are paid PAYE.
You only need to list your earnings in NZ; any UK earnings for that tax year before you were a NZ resident are not included, I asked the IRD that specific question last year. No need to mention them at all.
No need to include the meagre amount of interest my money is earning in the UK either as I am within the 4 year exemption period.

I didn't wait to find out whether they would send me a summary of earnings or an IR3, I requested them from the IRD since I knew I was due a refund and wanted to get my money back

Last edited by Persephone; May 17th 2010 at 10:07 pm.