Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tax refunds if we arrived this year

Tax refunds if we arrived this year

Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Default Tax refunds if we arrived this year

Hi Guys
I started work here at the start of February, and according to the calculator on the IRD website, I am owed a tax refund of around $1000.

However, it's not clear how I go about getting this refunded - it's saying I don't need to ask for a PTS or complete and IR3.

I've also heard that I may not be able to even claim it as I haven't been a tax resident for long enough.

Any advice appreciated
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:50 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax refunds if we arrived this year

when you are on the IRD web site where you did the calculation there is another link,PTS I think, that you click on and it will go through and send the request through to be processed. make sure you have included any interest you have received from any bank accounts as they do find out about them. you are ok to earn a certain amount in interest over the year but can't remember what it is.

and make sure you do it every year.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

IRD website is pretty straightforward to do it yourself. There are also a couple of tax agencies such as Woohoo or MyTax that do this for you with pretty much 0 hassle - they charge a fee (about 15% of the refund I think) but if you don't fancy negotiating your way through the minutiae of the tax system you can consider them.

Full disclosure I went the agency route last year as I am lazy. I knew I would get less back due to fees but really couldn't be bothered with ferricking around. The agency I picked were quick and professional and I still got a large whack back.

I claimed about this time last year after having only been in NZ a little under a year and had no problems so you should be okay residency wise.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If you phone the IRD helpdesk, they'll guide you through it for free.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
If you phone the IRD helpdesk, they'll guide you through it for free.
have to agree they have always been very helpful
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Heh yep the IRD is the best way to go even I'd I haven't