Tax question

Old Mar 19th 2014, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Bob_the_Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax question

Hello there

I have a question regarding tax. I am originally from Germany but a NZ citizen and used to work in NZ until 2 months ago when I left NZ to take a leave overseas. Then I had some family issues and decided not to return back to NZ, so I resigned.
Now I got a job in the Middle East and my questions are:
-What should I do as for TAX knowing that I have no ties to NZ anymore?
-For the period I was still paid for in NZ (during my annual leave), is there a problem receiving working for family taxt credit while overseas? is there a limit on the max time one can be overseas and receiving family tax credit?
-For how long should I pay income tax to NZ, if I have to?

I appreciate your help
Bob
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Any Accountants on the forum that want to tackle this one??
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely you are still considered a tax resident here as you have been gone only a short while; there's a questionnaire on IRD website where you can assess your own status and do your tax return online.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation...glongterm.html

You only need to pay tax on income earned here and should do a tax return after 31st March tax year end and that should be it; notwithstanding any under or overpayments that this might reveal. (You can figure this all out online before deciding to hit the submit button)

If you're still getting tax credits you need to tell them to stop asap as I don't think anyone could hand on heart expect this would continue after they have left the country; you will have to refund any overpayment.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys
I guess what I need to know is for how long do I have to pay tax to NZ while working overseas, knowing I have no ties with NZ anymore?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

--is there a problem receiving working for family taxt credit while overseas?
I am actually not sure I understand this whole thing.

Could you be a little bit more explicit please.

Have you left a family in NZ?

confused
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

family tax credit expect you to contact them whenever any of your circumstances change, so if you are no longer living at the address stated on the application you have to tell them, if you are no longer the same family unit, you have to tell them. If you get a new job, you have to tell them.

as for the tax as already given check out the IRD link
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:04 am
Just Joined

well, as for family tax credit as I said above I left NZ to take annual leave of 2 months (I had 43 acumulated working days annual leave). During the two months I was still emplyed and paying tax. Then circumstances changed and I had to resign. I understand after I resigned I am not entitled to working for family tax credit. But for the 2 months period where I was getting paid in NZ, am I entitled for family tax credit?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ask the IRD direct and then let us know here as s help to others.