Tax question

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question Tax question

Hi guys

When we move to NZ we are renting our flat out in the UK.
How does the tax situation work? Do we get taxed in NZ for our wages in NZ and get taxed in the UK for our rental property?

I assume lots of other people are in this situation so would love to hear from you.

We will also probably have an accountant here in the UK to sort out any tax returns etc as hopefully this will make things easier - is this a good idea?

Cheers
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:24 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax question

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris

How does the tax situation work? Do we get taxed in NZ for our wages in NZ and get taxed in the UK for our rental property?
Hi

Once you become subject to NZ tax, you will have to pay NZ Income tax on ALL your income worldwide, regardless of whether you bring this income into NZ or not. Your UK rental income would be subject to NZ income tax.

Two points though:

1) NZ and UK have a double taxation agreement which means that NZ will deduct from the the amount due, any tax already paid in the UK.

2) As a new immigrant, your overseas income is exempt from NZ tax for the first 4 years Taking this option does exclude you from certain social security benefits though.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

When we move to NZ we are renting our flat out in the UK.

I assume lots of other people are in this situation so would love to hear from you.

We will also probably have an accountant here in the UK to sort out any tax returns etc as hopefully this will make things easier - is this a good idea?

Cheers
There is currently a 4 year 'tax free' period for all emigrees on their non-NZ earned income. I found out last night if you avail your self to this you cannot claim tax creditrs aswell...thats where you get a sort of child allowance..the more kids you have and the less you earn the more the govt gives you. I believe the tax free thing is after arrivals in NZ from April 2006. Please check these details with regards to their current situation www.ird.govt.nz
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: Tax question

Please can someone clarify the following is correct (or wrong!):

If I rent the property out in UK and fill in a non-resident tax form for HMRC - then all income from the property will be sent from letting agent direct to me without deducting any tax and then will I need claim the income on a self assessment form in NZ which will include the 4 years free rule?

If I rent the property out in the UK and let the letting agent deduct tax from the monthly rent - I can reclaim some of this tax back via a UK tax return (or all of it if below our tax threshold)?

Do HMRC in NZ automatically send you a self assessment or would I need to ask for one when we get there?

Do I need to inform our bank (Nationwide) that we dont want them to tax our account (and declare anything in NZ) or will they do this automatically with change of address?

Is there any need to have an accountant in the UK?

Sorry for all the questions but would like to get the tax situation clear in my head!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any ideas from anyone?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:13 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Please can someone clarify the following is correct (or wrong!):

If I rent the property out in UK and fill in a non-resident tax form for HMRC - then all income from the property will be sent from letting agent direct to me without deducting any tax and then will I need claim the income on a self assessment form in NZ which will include the 4 years free rule? Yes

If I rent the property out in the UK and let the letting agent deduct tax from the monthly rent - I can reclaim some of this tax back via a UK tax return (or all of it if below our tax threshold)?Yes

Do HMRC in NZ automatically send you a self assessment or would I need to ask for one when we get there?No - it depends on your tax situation. The first thing you need is an IRD number, then at the end of the tax year (actually about now) you can ask for a return for which you will be sent a reference number. For basic tax retruns you can do these on line but overseas income will probably need a paper return to be filled in

Do I need to inform our bank (Nationwide) that we dont want them to tax our account (and declare anything in NZ) or will they do this automatically with change of address?You need to inform them and fill in a form asking for tax not to be withheld. You also need to fill in a P85 (I think that is the right numebr) - to 'log off' the UK tax system. As for NZ, you will need to declare any overseas interest as part of the tax return

Is there any need to have an accountant in the UK? Your choice. If you only have rental income in the UK I would say not but tax advice in NZ might be a better option

Sorry for all the questions but would like to get the tax situation clear in my head!
Hope the answers above help. The NZ tax system is actually quite simple to understand and use and the IRD are very good - much quicker than in the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Wooly_Cow that makes things a bit clearer!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Tax question

Hi guys

Just a few more questions if anyone can help?:
1. When we move to NZ will we still have our UK Tax free limit (upto £4000 each or whatever it is at the moment)? - If so is it best to have UK rent taxed in UK and have no tax deducted (because below threshold) and then just claim this on NZ tax form?

2. If we use NZ tax system can we claim the same deductions off the rent as we can in UK, i.e. mortgage interest, lettings agents fees etc

3. Is it a good idea to have a UK accountant for Uk tax return?

4. Apart from non-resident landlord forms, are there any other tax forms we need to fill in to reclaim any tax back we have paid from our normal wages (as we will be leaving half way through the UK tax year) or will it all come out in the wash when we fill in tax return forms at end of tax year?

Sorry for all the questions but you are a bright and knowledgable bunch!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys

Just a few more questions if anyone can help?:
1. When we move to NZ will we still have our UK Tax free limit (upto £4000 each or whatever it is at the moment)? - If so is it best to have UK rent taxed in UK and have no tax deducted (because below threshold) and then just claim this on NZ tax form?

2. If we use NZ tax system can we claim the same deductions off the rent as we can in UK, i.e. mortgage interest, lettings agents fees etc

3. Is it a good idea to have a UK accountant for Uk tax return?

4. Apart from non-resident landlord forms, are there any other tax forms we need to fill in to reclaim any tax back we have paid from our normal wages (as we will be leaving half way through the UK tax year) or will it all come out in the wash when we fill in tax return forms at end of tax year?

Sorry for all the questions but you are a bright and knowledgable bunch!

Can't answer all of it but there is a special form you have to fill in when you leave the UK which deals with the part year business - your employer should provide it with your P45. If you normally do Self Assessment you then have to have the year treated as a split year. It is messy but the guidance notes help on the HMRC website.