Tax on lump sums

Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:21 am
Just Joined

harrylewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on lump sums

Hi. Does anyone know if there is a tax on lump sums eg house sale when you move to NZ. Is there a time limit after which moving lump sums to NZ will be taxed ?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on lump sums

Originally Posted by harrylewis
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a tax on lump sums eg house sale when you move to NZ. Is there a time limit after which moving lump sums to NZ will be taxed ?
no. you don't get taxed on it, it's your money!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:50 pm
Joe Camel

silverwing86 will become famous soon enoughsilverwing86 will become famous soon enough

Even better, as a new immigrant any foreign income you receive, in the first four years after arrival, is not taxed at all !

So if, for instance, you still own a house wherever you came from and are renting it out, the rental income will not be taxed in NZ for the first four years !

How great is that ?

Silver
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverwing86
Even better, as a new immigrant any foreign income you receive, in the first four years after arrival, is not taxed at all !

So if, for instance, you still own a house wherever you came from and are renting it out, the rental income will not be taxed in NZ for the first four years !

How great is that ?

Silver

That is unless you choose to claim Working for Families tax credits, then you forfeit that benefit
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:21 am
Just Joined

harrylewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Tax on lump sums

Thanks guys - that is all great news
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverwing86

How great is that ?

Silver
cheers m8ty - my reading of that was that I would have to pay tax on rental income but re-reading the guide it seems that you are right! Damn, just submitted my return with a little tax owed $170, I think, hopefully the tax man will tear it up...... For the skeptical here is the example from the IRD website:
Example 2: Scope of exemption

Rebecca is from France. She decides to move to New Zealand, and realises that she is eligible for the exemption. She currently owns several residential buildings in France, from which she receives rent and has a mortgage. She also has some shares in various French companies.

She has a bank account with a French bank into which she receives rent from her tenants, and receives interest from the bank.

Under previous New Zealand law, if she were to migrate to New Zealand, she would be liable to pay New Zealand tax on her rental income and interest from her bank accounts. She would also have to withhold non-resident withholding tax (NRWT) on her mortgage interest payments made to the French bank. Furthermore, the shares she owns in French companies would constitute FIF interests. She would therefore be liable to pay New Zealand tax on the value of the shares as it accrued, regardless of how much had been distributed.

The new exemption rules mean that she does not have to pay New Zealand tax on her rental and interest income for the period of the exemption. Nor does she have to withhold NRWT on her mortgage interest payments. Furthermore, for the period of exemption, she does not have to pay any New Zealand tax in relation to the shares held in various French companies (either on the value of the shares as it accrues or on distributions from the shares).
good on ya you mighty fine Coaster!!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:59 pm
Joe Camel

silverwing86 will become famous soon enoughsilverwing86 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
That is unless you choose to claim Working for Families tax credits, then you forfeit that benefit
Sorry, my bad , you are absolutely right of course !

I'm afraid I did forget to mention that,(I guess it shows that we don't have any kids eh ), thanx !

Cheers,
Silver