Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tax credits & Family Allowance

Tax credits & Family Allowance

Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light
Question Tax credits & Family Allowance

Hi ,
could anybody please answer my questions for me please..
Just been on the inland revenue website in NZ.. reading about child tax credits,am i right in reading, us as migrants are not entitled to it until you have permanent residency????

And what about family allowance??? Do you still receive it from the uk??? or do you apply to get it NZ???
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax credits & Family Allowance

Why should UK pay you family allowance when you are in NZ? Call them to cancel before you leave.
There has been plenty of discussion here about *UK* tax credits - <search> is your friend.....
Without PR/citizenship there are very few state benefits (plus the childcare subsidies) in NZ ........and TBH that's how it ought to be even though the tax allowance situation makes it bad for low wage earners.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:36 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Yes you have to cancel your child benefit in the UK before you leave . You are still able to claim it for 3 months after you have left but you must have intentions to return.
You can only get child benefits here if you have permanent residency and an IRD number.You have to go into the offices and fill in forms and they need to see your visas in your passports and other photo ID.Your children need and IRD number too.
Hope this helps, only know as this is what we have just done
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:56 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try and phone/write to cancel the working tax credits, child benefit etc - but they still insist on paying it to you. No matter how many times you ring and write.

:curse:

I am with Lardyl on this one. Why should I expect the UK tax payers to throw me pocket money for my kids here in NZ.

And if your projected income here means you will be needing government handouts then really you need to be reassessing the job you have applied for and whether you could afford to live over here at all.

IMO - you should be heading for a single or combined annual income of at least $80k that will allow you to pay for two adults, one child, two cars and a mortgage of say around $300k.

Thats just my opinion to give you something to head for - there are people here on less who survive, and on more who still dont have enough. Its swings and roundabouts.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

How old do the kids have to be before all ths benefit stops?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:51 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

im not 100% sure i think its 13/14 but you will have to check.

We have come here for a better life but....................

With regards to certain comments: My husband is on a fair income for his 3 month probation period.He earns not a huge amount but it will go up within months, but he is very very happy in his work, so surely thats a good thing?!

We have been here for 3 months and despite the low income we are the happiest we have ever been!!

I found your comments upsetting and thankyou, but we can afford to live here and in a nice area in a 4 bed house(rented all be it) and have a better standard of living here than we would be having in the UK.
We dont sponge from the state never have and never will we are at 'present' getting what we are entitled too!!

My kids are fine and happy and always have been wether we have had a large amount of disposable income or not.

We informed the uk system when we left that we were leaving and our payments stopped straight away as we informed them that we have residency.No further payments have been made.

So to stop all the other 'wingeing poms' from critising me for trying to give my family the best life ever................our NZ child benefits will stop next month due to my husbands salary increase and all it did was pay for my childrens school uniform.Wether thats right or wrong i actually dont care!!

We arent all lucky enough to be earning hundred thou per year, but as is so often said- MONEY CANT BUY YOU HAPPINESS!!

I give up with this forum as you try to do your best and give somebody advice using your own personal findings and you getting made to feel like crap!!:curse:

Well from the happy family that have had a great welcoming(not!!) having only been here for 3 months i bid you fairwell.
Good luck everyone and im sure that the advice you will get from others will be abit more welcoming than some

GOODNIGHT
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean n

We have come here for a better life but.......................
I give up with this forum as you try to do your best and give somebody advice using your own personal findings and you getting made to feel like crap!!:curse:

Well from the happy family that have had a great welcoming(not!!) having only been here for 3 months i bid you fairwell.
Good luck everyone and im sure that the advice you will get from others will be abit more welcoming than some

GOODNIGHT
hey, no-one's having a go at you as far as I can tell. Just trying to give some advice to the OP who was wondering what benefits they can get.
WINZ is our friend whilst we find our feet with the new business and the small amount we got from them will end once the work picks up, but it is a godsend when I have to work for little/no income at the start of the process - no doubt the taxes we have payed and will pay will offset that.

As you say everyone needs a little help and TBH we are all paying a disproportionate amount of tax as low income earners (hence my comment).

Doubt most poeple here would want all the benefits for families to be available to anyone arriving in NZ before they have shown commitment to living here - PR is a good way to do that, as would be a long-term work visa, say a two or three year one.

As you are getting benefits then you must have some qualifying circumstances and I for one wish you all the best and hope that the family continues to be happy and at home here - just have to take issue on the Whitetail front.......
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:38 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean n

We have come here for a better life but....................

With regards to certain comments: My husband is on a fair income for his 3 month probation period.He earns not a huge amount but it will go up within months, but he is very very happy in his work, so surely thats a good thing?!

We have been here for 3 months and despite the low income we are the happiest we have ever been!!

I found your comments upsetting and thankyou, but we can afford to live here and in a nice area in a 4 bed house(rented all be it) and have a better standard of living here than we would be having in the UK.
We dont sponge from the state never have and never will we are at 'present' getting what we are entitled too!!

My kids are fine and happy and always have been wether we have had a large amount of disposable income or not.

We informed the uk system when we left that we were leaving and our payments stopped straight away as we informed them that we have residency.No further payments have been made.

So to stop all the other 'wingeing poms' from critising me for trying to give my family the best life ever................our NZ child benefits will stop next month due to my husbands salary increase and all it did was pay for my childrens school uniform.Wether thats right or wrong i actually dont care!!

We arent all lucky enough to be earning hundred thou per year, but as is so often said- MONEY CANT BUY YOU HAPPINESS!!

GOODNIGHT
I'm sorry you feel you welcome has been less than warm. Most people try to offer constructive advice. If you are not happy with a post and feel that it has made a personal attack, please report it so we can help.
Generally posters tend to stick to the forum guidelines but it doesn't always happen.
Stick with us, it's usually a friendly, helpful forum.
Karen
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I believe you will have to be here for 12 months to qualify also.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light

I have only asked a couple of questions..And yes one or two of the replies have been a bit sharp....if i have offended any one... well maybe someone has got the wrong end of the stick....