Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tauranga - Areas to live

Tauranga - Areas to live

Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tauranga - Areas to live

Hi All,

Been in Auckland for the last 4 and a half years and it's now time to move out of the place, as long as I can get some ok work.

Tauranga heads the list for me on several counts, and I know that Papamoa is one area, but what about the others? What are the areas to avoid if there are any?

I did do a search on the forum for this topic and drew a blank so apologies if I am somehow repeating a common question.

Cheers for your help, big or small.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Re: Tauranga - Areas to live

I've lived in Mount Maunganui the last 6 months and loved it. Would you be looking to rent or buy?

Papamoa is supposed to be good. As for Tauranga itself, Otumotei is more of a quiet surbaban area. As is Matua. Welcome Bay, the avenues and Bethlehem are decent areas as well. To be honest, I've only heard Greerton and Pyes Pa could be avoided. But I say this with no authority.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Tauranga. If you are able to be a little more specific I will be happy to advise as I know the city and surrounds very well.

Do you need to be close to schools? Do you mind rush hour traffic? Do you want to be handy to supermarkets, sports facilities etc?

What size section of land would you like? House size? Older style character house or something more modern? An apartment?

There are certain parts of Mt Maunganui I would avoid. Papamoa is okay but the whole area is below sea level and is prone to flooding.

I wouldn't completely discount Greerton as it is slowly beginning to blossom. I've only heard good things about Pyes Pa and there are very expensive homes in this burb. Pyes Pa would be on par with Bethlehem,another leafy modern suburb.

I think perhaps Conor79 was referring to Gate Pa? And yes I would probably avoid Gate Pa and also Parkvale. I don't like Otumoetai personally but I have a few friends who live there and they are happy.

Im not a realestate agent.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey

I think perhaps Conor79 was referring to Gate Pa?
You are correct Hokey Pokey. To be honest, I don't know these areas at all so it would be unfair to discount them. Just based on what locals have told me. What I do know of Tauranga has been pretty sweet.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
I live in Tauranga. If you are able to be a little more specific I will be happy to advise as I know the city and surrounds very well.

Do you need to be close to schools? Do you mind rush hour traffic? Do you want to be handy to supermarkets, sports facilities etc?

What size section of land would you like? House size? Older style character house or something more modern? An apartment?

There are certain parts of Mt Maunganui I would avoid. Papamoa is okay but the whole area is below sea level and is prone to flooding.

I wouldn't completely discount Greerton as it is slowly beginning to blossom. I've only heard good things about Pyes Pa and there are very expensive homes in this burb. Pyes Pa would be on par with Bethlehem,another leafy modern suburb.

I think perhaps Conor79 was referring to Gate Pa? And yes I would probably avoid Gate Pa and also Parkvale. I don't like Otumoetai personally but I have a few friends who live there and they are happy.

Im not a realestate agent.
I would like to be within a walk of shops if possible, the rest I think will take of itself after leaving Auckland. However just to be clear I'm not worried about about driving really.

Interested to hear about Papamoa flooding, does this happen often?

Will be ultimately looking to buy a newish house, but would like to either be rural and a block or near'ish to water. By the way don't have millions to spend!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say Papamoa floods often, well once last year and once this year and quite badly about 2005. If you did decide to live there, it would just pay to check out the history of your street and have the house carefully examined for any possible water damage. Routine for any house I guess. Google "Papamoa Flooding" and you'll get a general idea. I remember Papamoa less then 20 years back being rough grazing ground for cattle - swampy grazing ground.

It seems you are very spoilit for choice as any number of locations within Tauranga would, Im sure, suit your needs very well. Lots of suburbs back onto the Tauranga harbour or any given number of estuaries, all of which eventually exit to the ocean. Fun for kayaking. Like Conor79 says " Tauranga is pretty sweet."
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:17 pm
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Hello Robbo25,
Yes, Tauranga is lovely and a nice place to live with a great climate BUT they don't call it 'Ten dollar Tauranga' for nothing.
Jobs aren't as easy to come by and we all have our own variables to consider.
I know of at least three male Brits who are not working here.
Please don't leave Auckland without a job to go to, obvious advice I know, nevertheless has to be said. We even considered a move to Auckland (for work) ourselves but I couldn't face the hassle and was more inclined to survive on less money here.
Anyway, you'll have plenty of nice houses in good areas to choose from, all as previously mentioned....my choices would be Matua, Bethlehem, and Otumoetai. If you want reasonably priced rural go for Welcome Bay and Pyes Pa. If you want a nice house, near water with a nice village feel to it; Omokoroa is 20-25 mins from the CBD.
I personally wouldn't settle in Papamoa for no other reason than I've always had nightmares about Tsunamis! It's only a matter of time (hopefully not in this millennia) Pommiemoans-get out while you still can!!!!!!!
Only joking!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yup. I wasn't going to mention the tsunami risk but its there for sure. Even spring tides bother me. IMO Papamoa is being sold to the unwary.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Hi, Having lived in both Papamoa and Bethlehem both areas have good points.If you are looking to be near the beach Papamoa is ideal and there is a shopping centre as well.Bethlehem is much better for popping into city centre but also has its own town centre . I have also lived in Ohauiti and there are some nice estates up there with fab views. Most areas in Tauranga have older less desirable streets so its a good idea to have a drive around and you will spot them.On the whole its a fantastic place to live .Good Luck
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers for all the info, will look into that. Strange how the town is growing yet not an amazing amount of job listings, I am looking to get work prior to moving and also looking at setting up my own business also.