Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Originally Posted by lardyl
bugger mis-read your post----yes but do all circuits come off these RCDs??

ignore my meanderings.......
do you mean mcb - miniature circuit breaker (the individual circuits' trip switch) rather than RCD - residual current device (the true "trip" like the plug in ones for gardening tools - that protects you from electric shock/electrocution) or RCBO - combined RCD and MCB - not that common but seen in some industrial and the odd domestic distribution board......just thought that you had the electrical part of the building code off pat.....
I am interested in these things as I need to know how these devices operate and are expected to operate in NZ - I knew about them in UK but things are different here (some slightly better some a bit worse from a safety point of view IMHO).
Suspected that Al frames were the only options - they are not as good as the UK ones as condensation will pool off the metal - I know I've had metal single glazed, metal secondary glazed, timber SU-double glazed, metal double glazed and proper PVC SUDG with nice laminated glass, for added sound and UV proofing (the latter is what I am interested in as my furniture and art works, photographs, etc are important to me!!). LL
OK, completely off the beaten track - have you ever told us your given name Lardyl?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Just had a look in the fuse box. There are two rows of switches - each row has a separate RCD.

Apparently the reason for the aliminumum frames is cos the upvc ones we're used to will not stand up to the intense UV rays therefore they could not offer a guarantee on them.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:35 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hey that heater looks cool, the challenge is not finding out how much it will cost you to use it, but how many candles your gona use as you keep going backwards and forwards to your fuse box ah Whiz
PS did you get my phone message, give me a ring
Oh har de har har

For those not in the know, TeamEmbo came over for din-dins the week of their arrival. As we had the fire on, the stereo on, 2 lights on, the oven going and various other stuff on, the fuse board got a bit 'heated' and kept tripping. Solution? Unplugged the fire and went back to good old candle power. About twelve of the buggers. Worked a treat though

Will bell you guys tonight - just got message this morning as leaving for work cos forgot to check 'em last night.

Sweet!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:03 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
OK, completely off the beaten track - have you ever told us your given name Lardyl?
been given plenty of names our kid - L is my surname and Lardy is just to do with my appetite not my physique - anything but!!!!
In fact was driving past your neck of the woods today - went to poipoi for a really cold wet afternoon in a field - if you had seen me in my lovely outback then you could have stopped me.......and asked.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:06 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Good q, but somehow it feels better to invest in a decent system up front, and I've found that one 850w heat pump vastly outperforms two 2400W oil-filled radiators. I'm also hoping that if/when we sell our house, some of the investment in heating will be reflected in the value (provided we can find a pom to sell it to)
good point and I agree I was just trying to stir up trouble........
our rental does not allow picture hooks so I doubt that a heat pump and outdoor condenser thingie would be an option, yes the 2.4kw oil heater is pretty poor but we are getting by with ours, plus one 2kw fan heater.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Woodlea
They say Resdiual Current Device on them.

Don't get condensation on the glass - just a bit on the frame.
cool - ours used to run down the frame and pool on the sill, but maybe we were a bit over-energetic, hehe.......
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
no just a lowly fire investigator - kickin ash after the event - hence the Avatar.......
you know, I thought that read KC Kash... thought it was some type of nickname...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:37 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
you know, I thought that read KC Kash... thought it was some type of nickname...
I originally though Mr L was a quit smoking guru......
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Me too
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:37 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Jude J
Me too
it was one of those numberplates from an old thread............really need a new one - maybe I should start a thread >??>
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

how about this one as your in fire---
Attached Images  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by julesnye
how about this one as your in fire---
thanks