Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking of heating: How much to run this?

Originally Posted by lardyl
so if you divide that into the capital cost of a heat pump/inverter then that is how many months of free heating from the Goldair????
Good q, but somehow it feels better to invest in a decent system up front, and I've found that one 850w heat pump vastly outperforms two 2400W oil-filled radiators. I'm also hoping that if/when we sell our house, some of the investment in heating will be reflected in the value (provided we can find a pom to sell it to)
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:45 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Jeez I have the heat pump on all the time and only $67 last month
Well I just got a heatpump and just had the bill in. Last one was $274 and this one was $237. Not that much difference really. I hope I have a cheap one next time...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just ordered some thermal underwear from M&S
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:04 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Cant beat M&S undies...how I miss them. Weird though, now its cold and frosty here I feel like I should be Christmas shopping, thats when I used to 'live' in M&S...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Cant beat M&S undies...how I miss them. Weird though, now its cold and frosty here I feel like I should be Christmas shopping, thats when I used to 'live' in M&S...
I used to 'live' there year round
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:29 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieNell

I invested in some 'Icebreaker' thermals yesterday!!! Very snuggly IMO 100% merino
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:59 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey that heater looks cool, the challenge is not finding out how much it will cost you to use it, but how many candles your gona use as you keep going backwards and forwards to your fuse box ah Whiz
PS did you get my phone message, give me a ring
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hey that heater looks cool, the challenge is not finding out how much it will cost you to use it, but how many candles your gona use as you keep going backwards and forwards to your fuse box ah Whiz
PS did you get my phone message, give me a ring
Dont they have circuit breakers in NZ then?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:13 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah they have fuse boxes, and if your realy luckly you might have a trip switch, but you'll still be going backwards and forwards to the bloody thing
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Oh yeah they have fuse boxes, and if your realy luckly you might have a trip switch, but you'll still be going backwards and forwards to the bloody thing
All modern houses are fully protected with RCDs, well insulated and double glazed and as good as any pommy house - apart from the heating thing - but that's another thread!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

All modern houses are fully protected with RCDs, well insulated and double glazed and as good as any pommy house - apart from the heating thing - but that's another thread!
had this burning question for a while - is the double glazing all in aluminium frames and are there any of the nice laminated glasses available for the sealed units?
also are the RCD protected circuits segregated on the consumer units like there are in a pommie/euro/RS components "split board"
and do all new builds have to have a double pole isolator on the front end of the consumer unit??
- these are all genuine questions that I want to get to the bottom of for work/my own enlightenment, not meant as smart-arsed repost....
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

had this burning question for a while - is the double glazing all in aluminium frames and are there any of the nice laminated glasses available for the sealed units?
also are the RCD protected circuits segregated on the consumer units like there are in a pommie/euro/RS components "split board"
and do all new builds have to have a double pole isolator on the front end of the consumer unit??
- these are all genuine questions that I want to get to the bottom of for work/my own enlightenment, not meant as smart-arsed repost....
Mostly aluminium units.

Sorry haven't a clue what you mean in the last two paragraphs. If you tell me what to look for I can go and have a look - if you tell me where to look???
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had a look in the fuse box. There are two rows of switches - each row has a separate RCD.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look in the fuse box. There are two rows of switches - each row has a separate RCD.
bugger mis-read your post----yes but do all circuits come off these RCDs??

ignore my meanderings.......
do you mean mcb - miniature circuit breaker (the individual circuits' trip switch) rather than RCD - residual current device (the true "trip" like the plug in ones for gardening tools - that protects you from electric shock/electrocution) or RCBO - combined RCD and MCB - not that common but seen in some industrial and the odd domestic distribution board......just thought that you had the electrical part of the building code off pat.....
I am interested in these things as I need to know how these devices operate and are expected to operate in NZ - I knew about them in UK but things are different here (some slightly better some a bit worse from a safety point of view IMHO).
Suspected that Al frames were the only options - they are not as good as the UK ones as condensation will pool off the metal - I know I've had metal single glazed, metal secondary glazed, timber SU-double glazed, metal double glazed and proper PVC SUDG with nice laminated glass, for added sound and UV proofing (the latter is what I am interested in as my furniture and art works, photographs, etc are important to me!!). LL
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bugger mis-read your post----yes but do all circuits come off these RCDs??

ignore my meanderings.......
do you mean mcb - miniature circuit breaker (the individual circuits' trip switch) rather than RCD - residual current device (the true "trip" like the plug in ones for gardening tools - that protects you from electric shock/electrocution) or RCBO - combined RCD and MCB - not that common but seen in some industrial and the odd domestic distribution board......just thought that you had the electrical part of the building code off pat.....
I am interested in these things as I need to know how these devices operate and are expected to operate in NZ - I knew about them in UK but things are different here (some slightly better some a bit worse from a safety point of view IMHO).
Suspected that Al frames were the only options - they are not as good as the UK ones as condensation will pool off the metal - I know I've had metal single glazed, metal secondary glazed, timber SU-double glazed, metal double glazed and proper PVC SUDG with nice laminated glass, for added sound and UV proofing (the latter is what I am interested in as my furniture and art works, photographs, etc are important to me!!). LL
They say Resdiual Current Device on them.

Don't get condensation on the glass - just a bit on the frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.