Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking pets back to the UK?

Taking pets back to the UK?

Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Taking pets back to the UK?

We are going back to the UK next year and my daughter has become very attached to her guinea pigs and wants to bring them back with us. I wondered if anyone her has brought pets back to the UK and what was involved? I am talking about expenses essentially as it might not be worth it to send back this pair of Peruvian kebabs.

In fact I wonder if it is even possible or tha they would survive the trip ? I have seen info on cats and dogs but not rodents.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking pets back to the UK?

I would re home them and maybe buy a similar pair back in the UK, is she old enough to spot the swap ? I,m sure they would have to do the 6 month quarrantine in the UK anyway

Neil
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

She'd notice, she's nine and son is six. They are cute pets but pretty pea-brained too. As long as they were in a warm place with carrots and grass they probably wouldn't be too bothered if we left them.

My daughter was asking about pet passports, but its probably not worth it if its a 6 month quarantine involved in getting them back.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to ask why are u going back, just being nosey
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

We will have been here 3 years and ready to go home. I wouldn't particularly want to live here longer term.

We will wait to get permanent residency though, so we could come back if we wish or find England doesn't suit us anymore.

In fact our family is split 50/50 about this; my daughter and I want to go back, my wife and son would prefer to stay here. So 3 years is a bit of a compromise I guess
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

you are doing the right thing getting residency first, i hope it works out for you
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by turkeys
We are going back to the UK next year and my daughter has become very attached to her guinea pigs and wants to bring them back with us. I wondered if anyone her has brought pets back to the UK and what was involved? I am talking about expenses essentially as it might not be worth it to send back this pair of Peruvian kebabs.

In fact I wonder if it is even possible or tha they would survive the trip ? I have seen info on cats and dogs but not rodents.
I'm thinking that you may want to ask this in the Moving Back to the UK forum There must be plenty of folks thee who have re-enter the UK with their much loved pets.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Good idea Bevs thanks, will do that
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeys
Good idea Bevs thanks, will do that
Find out all the costs involved, explain to your young lady the stress for the poor animals if they did relocate..and it is really stressful for them so I am led to understand..(the smaller they are the worse it is I am sure) AND offer her a recompense ....say 25% of the costs to take them home for her to spend as you see fit. You would be talking a few bob here...this will not be cheap! Its a win win win situation. You win by saving 75% of the expenditure. Missy get a big fat wad and Pinky and Perky will live to tell the tale..they may well die en route.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Find out all the costs involved, explain to your young lady the stress for the poor animals if they did relocate..and it is really stressful for them so I am led to understand..(the smaller they are the worse it is I am sure) AND offer her a recompense ....say 25% of the costs to take them home for her to spend as you see fit. You would be talking a few bob here...this will not be cheap! Its a win win win situation. You win by saving 75% of the expenditure. Missy get a big fat wad and Pinky and Perky will live to tell the tale..they may well die en route.
Excellent idea...especially as GPs are easily killed by shock.
Maybe she can find a friend that would love to have them, then she can have email updates...or even the school that she goes to ( ours has a class rabbit)