Reload this Page >

Taking it one step at a time: Salary

Taking it one step at a time: Salary

Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

JohnnyDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking it one step at a time: Salary

Hello all,

I will be having a discussion with someone soon regarding a position in NZ. I was wondering whether 100k$ yearly before tax would be enough for me and my wife. I will be working, she will not.
We have a rather relaxed lifestyle and we spend around 20 pounds per day in the supermarket for everything that one can buy in a supermarket

We don't go out every night but we would like to afford to go out once every week. Also, we will be renting something in the beginning. We are not looking for anything fancy, just a small house with a very small garden where we can barbecue.

But we will get to that later
So the question is: 100k yearly. Is it enough to have a decent life without looking to cut costs from everywhere and without worrying that we will not be able to save anything, again?

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking it one step at a time: Salary

Originally Posted by JohnnyDoe
Hello all,

I will be having a discussion with someone soon regarding a position in NZ. I was wondering whether 100k$ yearly before tax would be enough for me and my wife. I will be working, she will not.
We have a rather relaxed lifestyle and we spend around 20 pounds per day in the supermarket for everything that one can buy in a supermarket

We don't go out every night but we would like to afford to go out once every week. Also, we will be renting something in the beginning. We are not looking for anything fancy, just a small house with a very small garden where we can barbecue.

So the question is: 100k yearly. Is it enough to have a decent life without looking to cut costs from everywhere and without worrying that we will not be able to save anything, again?

Thank you in advance!
Where are you heading to in NZ?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:15 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
that will be fine my husband earns less than that, we have a 3 bedroom house on a large section in a nice suburb with a small mortgage i dont work only casual and we have two teenage daughters and we live fine so dont take much notice of what people tell you on here.

we go out for meals buy clothes, go away odd weekends going to Auckland in May for a long weekend, go to the movies and sometimes a few drinks in the local bars plus i go out to lunch and brunch with girlfriends.

just cant afford to fly home or go out the country at the moment
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
100k should net you around $5.5k ish after tax each month. Kate is on $75kish and we clear about $4.6k each month. Even with a mortgage that is a very good wage in NZ. Where are you off to. What kind of work are you in? We have been here 7 years and have a very good quality of life here, way way better than we had in the UK. NZ has its downsides as you probably well know but it has many positives too.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you in advance!
It depends hugely on where you want to live, if you are renting or buying and how much money you have to throw into buying a property.

Those that have told you that they do well on $75 to $80k are living in the provinces, where housing costs are relatively cheap.

$100k does not go very far at all in Auckland, especially if you want to live in one of the nicer suburbs and / or have a substantial mortgage to service. Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/property for some ideas on cost of housing.

You need to do your own sums and not rely on comparisons from people who in all likelihood have completely different living standards and expectations than you.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It depends hugely on where you want to live, if you are renting or buying and how much money you have to throw into buying a property.

Those that have told you that they do well on $75 to $80k are living in the provinces, where housing costs are relatively cheap.

$100k does not go very far at all in Auckland, especially if you want to live in one of the nicer suburbs and / or have a substantial mortgage to service. Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/property for some ideas on cost of housing.

You need to do your own sums and not rely on comparisons from people who in all likelihood have completely different living standards and expectations than you.
Yep, I'd echo that, it really depends where you live. Indeed in the provinces that would stretch very far, but housing costs are way more in the city, particularly Auckland, and Welly ain't far behind.