Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Swap Markets - the green $

Swap Markets - the green $

Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Swap Markets - the green $

I went to my first ever Swap Market this morning down by our village wharf.

The idea is that you all bring something you've grown or created & exchange with each other. It could be your surpluses from a veg garden, preserves, something you created, home made beers/wines/soaps/cards. It isn't a 2nd hand car boot type of thing. It is a green market . No cash is involved. It's swapsies only.

I took along my duck eggs and came away with home made chutney, some jars of dried homegrown herbs & fresh veg. I missed out on the artichokes & bags of nuts coz I was a bit late (what's new) but I did spot someone doing great swaps with the bunches of roses she brought.

I'm on a promise for a couple of shrubs for the garden in exchange for 6 duck eggs.
Come Christmas or so, I'll be taking down our surplus of plums and redcurrants.

I think this is a brilliant idea. Has anyone gone to something similar or the same?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swap Markets - the green $

that sounds ace Bevs! quite a few of the smaller communities i worked in in the uk had similar deals going on, though some of them had developed their own 'currencies' too (LETS schemes)... they would also exchange services as well as goods - you know, babysitting in exchange for tap washers being changed etc etc. though i do remember that some of those involved stopped when they became 'currency millionaires' - their goods/services were the most popular and they couldn't spend their currency cos there wasn't anything they wanted/needed (this was particularly the case for a couple of good potters i knew!)

haven't heard of anything similar round here though.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds fab, not seen anything here like that, will have to keep an eye out
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

I think this is a brilliant idea. Has anyone gone to something similar or the same?
A fantastic idea. I would love to exchange our blueberries for some of your fresh redcurrants ! Must say we exchange produce/ fish catches regularly amongst friends and neighbours, but this sounds like a very cool concept.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:44 am
`

Or maybe start your own.

Someone here cottoned onto it after reading an article in the Weekend Gardener about a swap market at Matakana.

I also read that Merivale has a vege swap stall once a month on a sunday.

There was a few craft bits too at our swap market .

We've done swaps in the past among immediate neighbours and our friends. We were given ducks ( dead ones) in return for Mr BEVS mending a couple of taps & I was given a great bottle of olive oil for 6 of the duck eggs. I'm still after getting me hands on some wild boar/venison in return for something or other.......probably Mr BEVS plumbing skills or more duck eggs but what I'd really, really like to see for a swap is a couple of trout.

I'd defo swap the redcurrants for the blueberries . We'll have way too many.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs, what specifically do you use your duck eggs for ? My mum used to keep ducks but I only remember eating roast duck. Are they good for baking with ?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:42 am
`

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Bevs, what specifically do you use your duck eggs for ? My mum used to keep ducks but I only remember eating roast duck. Are they good for baking with ?
Yes. That's what I use them for. That's what everyone is after them for. I also hard boil them & make a slightly curried egg mayonnaise.
Husband likes the odd one baked to put in a sandwich.

They have a stronger taste than a chook egg. To my way of thinking anyway.

As the shells are more porous , it's thought best to be extra careful if you want to use 'em for soft boiled eggs, omelettes , quiches, tiramisu etc but I know someone that does just that.

I'd have no probs using them for a quiche if I ran out of chook eggs.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:56 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea! I remember as a kid I was addicted to swapping, so much so that sometimes I had to write in my fav. books "not for swapping!"
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I go to the parties where we swap keys in an ashtray...only kidding!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I went to my first ever Swap Market this morning down by our village wharf.

The idea is that you all bring something you've grown or created & exchange with each other. It could be your surpluses from a veg garden, preserves, something you created, home made beers/wines/soaps/cards. It isn't a 2nd hand car boot type of thing. It is a green market . No cash is involved. It's swapsies only.

I took along my duck eggs and came away with home made chutney, some jars of dried homegrown herbs & fresh veg. I missed out on the artichokes & bags of nuts coz I was a bit late (what's new) but I did spot someone doing great swaps with the bunches of roses she brought.

I'm on a promise for a couple of shrubs for the garden in exchange for 6 duck eggs.

In the US they have swap meets, I went to something like that over there once.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I go to the parties where we swap keys in an ashtray...only kidding!
Ha ha ha
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's a lovely idea and it's great to hear these things being organised!

We've sort of had an 'unofficial' swap at work, where i've given eggs and others give me fruit or whatever in return

I found this website a while ago where you can offer swaps up, maybe worth you having a look? http://www.homegrownmarket.co.nz/