British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The sunniest place in NZ to live (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sunniest-place-nz-live-292438/)

TheArmChairDetective Mar 26th 2005 9:29 am

The sunniest place in NZ to live

Can anyone give me their opinions on the sunniest place to live in NZ please?

Biddy Mar 26th 2005 9:42 am

Re: The sunniest place in NZ to live

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective

All the facts point to Nelson and surrounds having the greatest sunshine hours per year.

TheArmChairDetective Mar 26th 2005 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
All the facts point to Nelson and surrounds having the greatest sunshine hours per year.

Thanks for the reply.

Is Nelson more desireable than BoP for sunseekers then please?

Biddy Mar 26th 2005 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply.

Is Nelson more desireable than BoP for sunseekers then please?

Sorry what does BoP mean?
For that matter what is LOL I keep seeing?
Ignorant me!

TheArmChairDetective Mar 26th 2005 10:53 am

Ignorant me!

Hi Biddy,
BoP = Bay of Plenty.
LOL= Loads of Laughs.
others are =
FWIW= For what its worth.
ISTR = I seem to remember

Biddy Mar 26th 2005 11:09 am

Hi Biddy,
BoP = Bay of Plenty.
LOL= Loads of Laughs.
others are =
FWIW= For what its worth.
ISTR = I seem to remember

Cheers! I can see clearly now.

POM IN NZ Mar 26th 2005 11:17 am

Ignorant me!

Hello Biddy,
This might help. I borrowed it from The Motley Fool..thanks guys. It covers the most popular ones.

AFAIK As Far As I Know
AKA Also Known As
APR Annual Percentage Rate
ATME According To My Experience
BATR Bouncing Around The Room
BFN Bye For Now
BOE Bank Of EnglandBRB Be Right Back
BRSS Big Red Switch Syndrome
BTDT(GTTS) Been There, Done That, (Got The T-Shirt)
BTF Beat The Footsie
BTL Buy To Let
BTW By The Way
DYOR Do Your Own Research
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
FOAF Friend Of A Friend
FTB First Time Buyer
FUBAR F****d Up Beyond All Recognition
FWIW For What It's Worth
FYI For Your Information
GA Go Ahead
GSD Gentle/Gradual Slow Down (in HPI)
HPI House Price Inflation
HTH Hope This Helps
IAC In Any Case
IAE In Any Event
IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer
IIRC If I Remember/Recall Correctly
IMCO In My Considered Opinion
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion
IMO In My Opinion
IOW In Other Words
IRL In Real life
ITYM I Thought You Meant (To Say)
JIC Just In Case
LOL Laughing Out Loud
LTB Let To Buy
LTBH Long Term Buy & Hold
MEW Mortgage Equity Withdrawal
MOH My Other Half
MTFBWY May The Force Be With You
MYOB Mind Your Own BusinessNI
NOYB None Of Your Business
OIC Oh, I See
OT Off Topic
OTOH On The Other HandP/E
POV Point Of ViewPPL
ROFL Rolling On Floor Laughing
ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A**e Off
ROTFLOL Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Lou
RSN "Real Soon Now" aka maybe/probably never
RTFM Read The F*****G Manual
TIA Thanks In Advance
TLA Three Letter Acronym
WRT With Respect To
PINZ Pom In New Zealand

Biddy Mar 26th 2005 11:39 am

[QUOTE=POM IN NZ]Hello Biddy,
This might help. I borrowed it from The Motley Fool..thanks guys. It covers the most popular ones.

Blimey Charlie (BC there's a new one!

kiwichild Mar 26th 2005 12:30 pm

Most anywhere in NZ is sunnier than the UK if that is what you want to know. I think first and foremost you want to look at where employment opportunites lie for you, unless you are retiring here. Govt benefits like the unemployment benefit (Dole) are subsistance living: be better off on the dole in OZ I would think

kiwichild Mar 26th 2005 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by POM IN NZ
Hello Biddy,

AFAIK As Far As I Know
AKA Also Known As
APR Annual Percentage Rate
ATME According To My Experience
BATR Bouncing Around The Room
BFN Bye For Now
BOE Bank Of EnglandBRB Be Right Back
BRSS Big Red Switch Syndrome
BTDT(GTTS) Been There, Done That, (Got The T-Shirt)
BTF Beat The Footsie
BTL Buy To Let
BTW By The Way
DYOR Do Your Own Research
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
FOAF Friend Of A Friend
FTB First Time Buyer
FUBAR F****d Up Beyond All Recognition
FWIW For What It's Worth
FYI For Your Information
GA Go Ahead
GSD Gentle/Gradual Slow Down (in HPI)
HPI House Price Inflation
HTH Hope This Helps
IAC In Any Case
IAE In Any Event
IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer
IIRC If I Remember/Recall Correctly
IMCO In My Considered Opinion
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion
IMO In My Opinion
IOW In Other Words
IRL In Real life
ITYM I Thought You Meant (To Say)
JIC Just In Case
LOL Laughing Out Loud
LTB Let To Buy
LTBH Long Term Buy & Hold
MEW Mortgage Equity Withdrawal
MOH My Other Half
MTFBWY May The Force Be With You
MYOB Mind Your Own BusinessNI
NOYB None Of Your Business
OIC Oh, I See
OT Off Topic
OTOH On The Other HandP/E
POV Point Of ViewPPL
ROFL Rolling On Floor Laughing
ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A**e Off
ROTFLOL Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Lou
RSN "Real Soon Now" aka maybe/probably never
RTFM Read The F*****G Manual
TIA Thanks In Advance
TLA Three Letter Acronym
WRT With Respect To
PINZ Pom In New Zealand

And a new one: Far Q 2 (should be self explanatory ;) )

Deb+Chris Mar 26th 2005 7:40 pm

Yeah.. Nelson seems to have the best of both worlds as in.... it has a great climate and... it's on the South Island.

If I had a choice of anywhere in NZ it would have to be there. I think house prices are high there which is probably because it's such a great location. I prefer the South Island over the North anyway, so Nelson would be my pick.

(Can't believe those shortcuts from Pom in NZ!!! OMG, only know about two!).

Don Mar 26th 2005 7:41 pm

Depends what you mean by 'sunny'. OK, not trying to be funny. Sunny for a lot of people means sunny and warm.

Nelson/ Marlborough are the sunniest bits of NZ but they aren't the sunniest & warmest. They are quite cool and windy.

If you want Mediterranean type sun mostly in summer but good lots of other times + warm, too, with a coldish winter, go to Hawke's Bay.

If you want nearly Mediterranean type sun mostly in summer but good lots of other times + warm, too, with mild winter, go to Bay of Plenty.

Where we live in Central Europe it is baking hot & sunny for 5 months (ie 25-35 C), warm/ mild & sometimes overcast for 4 months and cold with plenty of snow & cloud for 3 months, which variety I like a lot - miles better than the UK.

Point being that 'sunniest' does not mean 'pleasantest climate' in NZ for many people.

JAJ Mar 26th 2005 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Don

Point being that 'sunniest' does not mean 'pleasantest climate' in NZ for many people.

And if warm, sunny weather is important to you, Australia is probably going to be a better choice than NZ.

Jeremy

kiwichild Mar 27th 2005 9:21 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if warm, sunny weather is important to you, Australia is probably going to be a better choice than NZ.
Jeremy

"Hot, sunny weather" Jeremy, definitely HOT in Australia :D

kiwichild Mar 27th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Yeah.. Nelson seems to have the best of both worlds as in.... it has a great climate and... it's on the South Island.

If I had a choice of anywhere in NZ it would have to be there. I think house prices are high there which is probably because it's such a great location. I prefer the South Island over the North anyway, so Nelson would be my pick.

Nelson may have a great climate but overall theres good and bad days weatherwise anywhere in NZ. Winter in christchurch for instance can often have many fine days, just be prepared for crisp winter mornings till after the sun has well and truly risen.

In anycase unless you are retiring to NZ, i woudl think the employment and housing situation would take priority over climate,scenery and entertainment.

kiwichild Mar 27th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris

Nelson may have a great climate but overall theres good and bad days weatherwise anywhere in NZ. Winter in christchurch for instance can often have many fine days, just be prepared for crisp winter mornings till after the sun has well and truly risen.

In anycase unless you are retiring to NZ, i would think the employment and housing situation would take priority over climate,scenery and entertainment.

TheArmChairDetective Mar 27th 2005 9:41 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Unfortunately I am too old to migrate and too young to retire to Australia

garrisondamn Mar 27th 2005 10:47 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well, i live in Nelson, and coming from the UK and travelled quite extensively throughout NZ, i would say Nelson has an awesome climate! Ok, its a little unsettled at the moment, but apart from the awfull xmas weather it has been a scorching summer here in Nelson. Someone said Nelson was windy, i don't think so, It's usually very calm, try Welly if ya want wind!!! Nelson is seldom windy.

Av. 2500 hrs of sunshine per year (same as Adelaide, Australia) What you also have to remember is that the ambient temp is not a good guide as the direct sun is VERY hot due to the thin (or lack of) ozone. You can burn here very easily and very quickly.
Winter is still quite pleasant, sunny and cool with temps easily into double figures, morning frosts, sunny days (and rainy ones :). There are other great places in NZ with similar climate BOP and Hawkes Bay, but i think Nelson is a wonderful place, but the real estate is a bit pricey!
It rains here yes of course, never seen snow apart from on the mountains and surrounding hills.
It's not paradise, well.......not quite ;)

Good luck.

Watt Dabney Mar 27th 2005 9:03 pm

Hi Alan,

Long time no speak! Hows things?

We are all good here, well apart from Ian who has an illusive wiring fault on his bike which is driving him nuts, don't spose you know where he can get his hands on a wiring diagram or manual for a Suzuki GSX-R1100W before he rips out the intire loom through frustration do you?

Like I said we are all well, off on our hols in a few weeks to the Sunshine Coast which we are all looking forward too, promised to take the kids to Australia Zoo!

Take care

Paula

garrisondamn Mar 28th 2005 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Hi Alan,

Long time no speak! Hows things?

We are all good here, well apart from Ian who has an illusive wiring fault on his bike which is driving him nuts, don't spose you know where he can get his hands on a wiring diagram or manual for a Suzuki GSX-R1100W before he rips out the intire loom through frustration do you?

Like I said we are all well, off on our hols in a few weeks to the Sunshine Coast which we are all looking forward too, promised to take the kids to Australia Zoo!

Take care

Paula

Hey, i'm bloody good actually, enjoying a few (well a week ) days off, getting a few things done round the house etc. Still waiting for pension news :confused:
This is my first time back on here in about a year, i thought you had retired too?!!
Trying to find info on Adelaide as we may be considering a move there in a few years. Nothin wrong with Nelson & NZ, just got the travel bug and a change etc. Pie in the sky at the mo though. Just got it in my head. It'll pass i expect. :D
We called it at yours a few weeks ago, but you guys were out (again!) your Kaipoi lifestyles must be just too good!
Glad to hear you're off to Oz for a break.Have a great time, will have to get together again when ya'll get back. We will warn you next time we are down there.
I will investigate into a wiring diagram for Ian. Keep him calm!

See ya.

Watt Dabney Mar 28th 2005 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
Hey, i'm bloody good actually, enjoying a few (well a week ) days off, getting a few things done round the house etc. Still waiting for pension news :confused:
This is my first time back on here in about a year, i thought you had retired too?!!
Trying to find info on Adelaide as we may be considering a move there in a few years. Nothin wrong with Nelson & NZ, just got the travel bug and a change etc. Pie in the sky at the mo though. Just got it in my head. It'll pass i expect. :D
We called it at yours a few weeks ago, but you guys were out (again!) your Kaipoi lifestyles must be just too good!
Glad to hear you're off to Oz for a break.Have a great time, will have to get together again when ya'll get back. We will warn you next time we are down there.
I will investigate into a wiring diagram for Ian. Keep him calm!

See ya.

Me, retire from these boards, never, I'm way too nosey for that!!!!

Sorry we were out when you called last, would be good to meet up again. Ian finds it quite reassuring that you still have the travel bug cause he has terminal itchy feet! At some point in his life he wants to live about 1hour away from Phillip Island! so I can see us moving around again In the future. Honestly its like living with a piece of tumble weed, i'm sure Sue knows how that feels! That time we visited you he came away from Nelson with arm fulls of real estate mags. I'm sure we will be bringing some back from the Sunshine Coast too!

Would be most grateful if you could investigate the wiring diagram, Ian has trawled the net to no avail, no Haynes manual for that model apparently and god knows how much for a genuine Suzuki one. He has been spotted with a long face gazing at pics of his old bike muttering those immortal words, " I should never have sold her!" His boss is trying to talk him into going to the Brass Monkey Rally! don't know if he will go or not though, I know my Winter rally days are well and truly over though!

Take care, will keep my fingers crossed for the pension thingy for you guys!

Paula

TheArmChairDetective Mar 28th 2005 8:24 pm

Paula

SweetPea by anychance???

CyndsandChris Mar 29th 2005 9:10 pm

So what's Wellington like then really heard some scary stats about wind etc but is it really that bad??

Is there a place that's similar to Cape Town in climate? or at the very least better than Buckingham UK?? or is that a redundant question?

Thankee
enjoy ur day!

CyndsandChris

garrisondamn Mar 29th 2005 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by CyndsandChris
So what's Wellington like then really heard some scary stats about wind etc but is it really that bad??

Is there a place that's similar to Cape Town in climate? or at the very least better than Buckingham UK?? or is that a redundant question?

Thankee
enjoy ur day!

CyndsandChris

Well, before i get shot down in flames (which happens to many on here! :zzz: ) I do not live in Welly, but have travelled from here (Nelson) to the North Island many times. Wellington looks beautiful when the sun shines, but i have only seen it twice :cool: (the sun that is)
In my experience it is very windy a lot of the time. In fact while waiting for the ferry back to the South Is i had place my motorcycle helmet on the ground beside my bike and the wind caught it and rolled it across the car park, last time i do that!
It's a nice city though, easy to navigate and i'm sure its not windy all the time :D
Not sure about similar Cape Town climate, its windy there too isn't it? On the whole i would say NZ has a much nicer climate than UK, it rains less (unless you live in Auck :eek: ) and is warmer!
There must be someone on here that lives in Welly that can answer better.

kiwijetpilot Mar 30th 2005 12:26 am

Wellington?? Not sunny??? Nah! Sun always shines here. Well, it does above the clouds... :D

Also a fine city for us bikers. Nothing quite like a fast transit of Haywards, or across the Rimutakas, or down to Lake Ferry. Heaven....

Sunniest place in NZ - Nelson, BoP, but don't forget Alexandria and the lakes. Alexandria had a few days this year where it topped 40C, and having spent quite a bit of time down there, I can tell you that summers tend to long, hot, and dry.

Too hot for me, but others may like it. Nice part of the country.

There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...

Roger Mar 30th 2005 1:41 am

Hawkes Bay has a great climate. Not like the Med. but similar to Bordeaux region of France - that is why the grapes are similar. Warmer than Nelson in the Winter and lacking in the snow of Otago/Canterbury (though it is on the surrounding mountain ranges through the Winter). Only frosty for a few days last Winter and which didn't get up the hill in Havelock North where we live. Can be windy in Winter.

In essence the climate is much, much better than the South of England. Kiwis think it is better weather than BOP.
Roger

Watt Dabney Mar 30th 2005 6:45 am

There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...[/QUOTE]

Kiwijetpilot have a gold star and go to the top of the class!!!! :D

Have found one on ebay as you suggested factory manual downloadable PDF 2.99 pounds. Ta very muchly.

Paula

kiwijetpilot Mar 30th 2005 7:04 am

See I do have my uses... :D

garrisondamn Mar 30th 2005 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...

I found a couple but not the W model. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Paula, i have sent you a PM. They'll start talking about us!!

kiwijetpilot Mar 30th 2005 10:30 am

Try

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

and

(not sure if that last one will have wiring diagrams)

and

That last one looks the best bet.

kiwichild Mar 30th 2005 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CyndsandChris

Thankee
enjoy ur day!

CyndsandChris

Wellington is a windy city (comparable to Chicago I have heard) but on the plus side: the locals are very friendly :)

North of Wellington the weather gets better. But that said you can have good weather around most coastal cities. Colder climate is usually identified with more inland and southern places.

Watt Dabney Mar 30th 2005 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
I found a couple but not the W model. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Paula, i have sent you a PM. They'll start talking about us!!

Got your PM, will PM you back soon, let them talk!!!!

Will let you know how we get on with this PDF downloadable manual. Ians boss has bought it on his ebay account so Ian won't get it till tonight. I think his boss is coming over on Friday night to see if they can fix it. Just an excuse to drink beer and talk shit in the garage if you ask me. We have just bought over 2 more bikes from the Uk. A Ducati Mike Hailwood Rep and a Ducati 900 Dhama. The Hailwood is in 1 piece although in need of a total restoration and the Dhama is in bits and broken. My stepdad gifted them both to Ian we just had to pay to get them here. I delt with all the paperwork, and all I can say is never again. Customs were the rudest, most unhelpful downright obstuctive, jobsworth bunch of pricks I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with, and thats an understatement!
Still it should keep Ian quiet for sometime in the garage, apart from all the new toys he reckons he needs to do the restorations, new bike bench etc etc.
We also bought over a Greeves purchased by a friend of ours from a friend of my stepdads. He is taking it to Pukekhoe and it is going to be in the parade lap, he is very excited

Anyways got to go, will PM you soon Alan.

Paula

southerner Mar 31st 2005 12:18 am

Today it must be Dunedin - its absolutely stunning.

deedee Mar 31st 2005 2:50 am

Originally Posted by southerner
Today it must be Dunedin - its absolutely stunning.

Couldn't possibly be, what with Dunedins reputation for weather :D Besides, its scorchio here on the Costa del Cintral :p

Don Mar 31st 2005 3:04 am

Originally Posted by deedee
Couldn't possibly be, what with Dunedins reputation for weather :D Besides, its scorchio here on the Costa del Cintral :p

I hope my blooming tenants are watering the rhodos ;)

JWW Mar 31st 2005 3:07 am

Christchurch is the sunniest main centre in the country. Followed by Auckland believe it or not.

On an unrelated subject, anyone know of any reasonable b&b's around Twizel? I've got some serious fishing to do over the next day or so in the Tekapo canals and Lake Benmore.

southerner Mar 31st 2005 4:08 am

Yeah - I wasted my Easter in your parts. Saturday was nice, but the rest was a washout.

Fitted in a nice bikeride out to Moke lake, and almost carried on to Moonlight - stunning country that.

TheArmChairDetective Apr 2nd 2005 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Can't say much about the rest of New Zealand but we've lived in Christchurch for the last 15 months and I've seen more sunshine here than we ever saw in the previous 10 years in the UK.

Mike

Whereabouts in the UK did you live please mike.
Was it Portsmouth by anychance?

binman Apr 4th 2005 1:43 am

But How Pleasant Is The Sunshine?
In high summer, the sunshine in New Zealand is really strong. You'll burn more easily here in New Zealand than anywhere in the Mediterranean.

For our scientifically minded readers, there are three reasons why the sun in the Southern Hemisphere is so strong.

There is less ozone here to block the UV rays that cause sunburn.

Earth's orbit takes it closer to the sun during the southern summer than during the northern summer.

There is less pollution in the southern-hemisphere to block the UV rays.

The sun's burning strength is measured by the UV index. The highest possible UV index at sea-level is about 20. This can occur at midday in equatorial regions. Any reading higher than 10 is extreme in terms of skin-damage.

The UV Index in the Mediterranean in high-summer reaches 9 or 10.

The people in Florida are fried on a just a few days each summer when the index reaches 12.

In New Zealand the summer index often exceeds 12. In the far North, 14 is reached - risky even for people with naturally brown skin.

Daily predictions of New Zealand's UV levels are available from NIWA. NIWA's site is particularly useful because you can also find out what the sun's strength will be at different times of the day.

Unless you're keen to look like toasted lobster, you need to take precautions. If you arrive in summer, you'll notice that a surprising number of New Zealanders look like they're taking none - most people don't wear hats. Many New Zealanders are very slack about sun precautions so it's not surprising that there are high skin cancer rates here.

In fact, New Zealand has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world with almost 50,000 new cases diagnosed each year!! Thankfully most of these cases are not serious, but the reality is that about 200 New Zealanders die each year of skin cancer.

If you're worried about skin-cancer you can have your skin checked by skin-scans or mole-maps; you will see lots of newspaper-ads in New Zealand for this type of check-up.

The common message is slip, slop, slap and wrap:

Slip on a shirt.

Slop on the sun cream.

Slap on a hat.

Wrap around sunglasses.

And there's a lot of sense in that.

Contents protected by international copyright agreements. All rights reserved.

southerner Apr 4th 2005 2:25 am

My mate's cousin died a couple of weeks ago from skin cancer. He was mid 20s!

Anyone tried this mole mapping I keep seeing advertised?