Summer Weather

Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:03 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Weather

Originally Posted by Nerine
The safe sun message is quite advanced here but there are still quite a few very bronzed bodies around. However, I saw a lot more badly sun damaged skin in NZ - some of the women in their mid 20s had skin that was quite shocking.

Our kids school has suncream dispensers dotted around the place, which I think is an excellent idea and large shaded play areas for the younger children. It's compulsory for even the high school pupils to wear their hats to and from school, not the useless baseball caps that they wore in NZ either but dense, wide brim Aussie style things.
Totally agree about the need for proper hats. In fact, this is nothing new though - i went to school in Wellington in the mid 80s and my school had a very simple message - "no hat, no play". Within that there were a few rules - the primary rule being that a baseball style hat was certainly not enough - you had to wear either a legionnaire style hat with the flap down the back or a wide brimmed hat. It is a pity that some schools still aren't enforcing that but I know that the schools i am aware of in Wellington and parts of porirua still push that message.

As for the burned dried out skin - yuck. As the saying goes, the only good tan is a fake tan.

I should also point out that I have been in Australia for the last few weeks and, while it did rain like anything for most of the trip, when the sun came out i did get really burned one day. I was applying sunscreen...i just missed a spot. After that my friends did not trust me enough to put sunscreen on my back myself! Definitely a good idea about the sunscreen dispensers.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Summer Weather

That radio ad advertising cricket and England's "Barmy Army", criticising us poms for being "Pasty" says something about the REAL thoughts of NZers attitude to the sun, they obviously think of themselves as tanned gods, well they were actually able to beat those cricket Behemoths, Bangladesh , so their confidence must be now sky high (not)

Also for me, suncream is only the same as a moisturiser for the skin, it is not as efficient as people think
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jan 26th 2008 at 8:35 pm.