Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Originally Posted by garryhg
What insults, Personal Attacks and poor English..

nope didn't read the article,

And as for women not working in the 3D jobs,what point exactly are you trying to make..ahhhhhhhhhh poor you BS,
..10/10 for your hard done by act...

hope you are going to get someone to turn the gas off after you..Its very expensive here you know..he he..Jacky
No, i will leave further note saying that YOU will pay the bill.
Later, though, i wake up coughing in kitchen realising that you cannot commit suicide by NATURAL gas , so will end up having to pay bill myself grrrrrrr

Karen, i agree with that article you quoted, and you should know more than me, but , at the end of the day 80% of suicides are male, and government is doing nothing about it !

Yes, after what happened to me, i ask myself, why men are treated so badly, you must just picture things the other way round and imagine if the man was the woman and vice versa

Last edited by Rete; Oct 27th 2008 at 5:50 am. Reason: Not the place to reveal personal details of someone's actions
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hear, hear Bellasmum.

I suspect it is a phrase tripped out when people are so devastated and at a complete loss as to explaining that person's state of mind at the time and their consequence actions.

I only heard of "autocide" this weekend in the Sunday Herald - is it a recognised phrase that's been around for some time? Choosing to smash in to an innocent party head on to end one's own live, but most probably theirs too, is a real shocker.
Perhaps we tend to think that suicide is something that only happens in disfunctional families Am Loolah, and we think ours aren't.

I understand that the infamous Prozac that was handed out as the saviour of those clinically depression proved in fact make some feel suicidal.

I was still theatre nursing at Middlemore in acute hours during the 80's and most of the 90's and we used to get a lot of road trauma from the motorway. Once the barriers were put up the numbers dropped quite significantly.

I am not sure if autocide is reconized overseas but it certainly was (and still may be now) in NZ.

What I do know is losing a family member through an accident is very different to losing them by suicide. I guess that may be why some choose autocide. To avoid the family the stigma.

Again that's a societal issue. Only IMHO of course.

I have often wondered if some of the deaths to drugs and alcohol are a result of clinical depression and self medication.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Oct 27th 2008 at 5:26 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:31 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Re suicide being cowardly - I have read a few suicide notes of former clients and to be honest, I have not read one where the person didn't mention that they were killing themselves to make their family more relieved (due to their depressove behaviour, their mood, or whatever), to become less of a burden, to not be a problem etc etc.

They aren't being cowardly. Completely and utterly in need of help, yes. But in many ways they at that stage in their life are honestly of the belief that their action will solve the problem of them being a burden on their family and friends.

I understand that there are difficulties with declaring a death a suicide particularly as it isn't always possible to tell. However, if you subscribe to the idea that a funeral is for the living then I can almost understand why there are problems declaring a death suicide - particularly for cultural and religious reasons.

However, I think there is no excuse for putting ones head in the sand. There is certainly no excuse for a community (local or national) to do so either. To try and put it down to one factor is dangerous.