Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

suicide in new zealand

suicide in new zealand

Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default suicide in new zealand

hi jacky g here....no i'm not contemplating it,
garry and i took out life insurance the other day and were shocked to find out that we were covered for suicide.....you wouldn't be covered for this back home....

we mentioned this to the advisor and he told us that nz was the suicide capital of the world.....why so many...

we came here for a better life ...whats so wrong with the place that so many people are comitting suicide

i know in some comunitys here poverty is quite bad,but other than that can't figure out why its so bad......
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suicide in new zealand

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi jacky g here....no i'm not contemplating it,
garry and i took out life insurance the other day and were shocked to find out that we were covered for suicide.....you wouldn't be covered for this back home....

we mentioned this to the advisor and he told us that nz was the suicide capital of the world.....why so many...

we came here for a better life ...whats so wrong with the place that so many people are comitting suicide

i know in some comunitys here poverty is quite bad,but other than that can't figure out why its so bad......
Well it certainly can't be the lack of bright light which can be an issue in Nordic countries I understand. Think I read somewhere that it is especially high for teenage boys. I'll have a google later.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

NZ is not the suicide capital of the world. If you really want to see high numbers, look at the rates among native peoples in Northern Canada. Those are very high.

However, my policy here excludes suicide, so if the mortgage feels heavy I am stuck with it. On the other hand, since the OH has a policy still in place at home, she can do it to help us out as suicide is covered on hers.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
NZ is not the suicide capital of the world. If you really want to see high numbers, look at the rates among native peoples in Northern Canada. Those are very high.

However, my policy here excludes suicide, so if the mortgage feels heavy I am stuck with it. On the other hand, since the OH has a policy still in place at home, she can do it to help us out as suicide is covered on hers.
jacky here....we were told to cancel our policy back home as it didn't cover us if anything happened over here......don't know if you have looked into that already,but best check it out if you havn't.....you might just be wasting money....just a thought
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

No, we found that being dead anywhere still counts as being dead. Strange how you may not count as being dead under your policy and had to gurantee your death would count and really be thought of as being a death here in New Zealand. I suppose those policy issuers must look on New Zealand as a form of heaven. I am assuming that you have lived the sort of life that would put you there. That must be why being dead in New Zealand doesn't count as being dead, it must be like heaven so you don't need insurance.

We changed my policy as it was cheaper to do so rather than earn local currency and pay in a higher foreign currency. We left Vicki's in place as there is a rider in place that covers them if they die. In New Zealand, we were told that a life under 11 years old is not insurable.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:54 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

suicide rates in NZ for young men, particularly young Maori and Pacific Island men are high though it is most definitely not just Maori and Pacific Islanders obviously.

all sorts of reasons why it happens here and no doubt there are a mountain of suggestions about how to deal with it. Cultural, economic, gender and dependency issues etc etc may be some of the reasons but no doubt there are others and i very much doubt a simple reason could be given.

We also have a high rate of mental illness. Makes me wonder what is lacking in my country

it is surprising your policy includes suicide but from memory from when I have looked at the policies, the ones that do still exclude preexisting conditions wehereby the factors leading to suicide could (COULD) fall into.

http://www.spinz.org.nz/
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

No, my new policy here in NZ excludes suicide. Vickis policy issued in Ontario, in Canada includes suicide so long at it takes place after the first two years of the policy being in force.

I hope to out live her though and enjoy my golden years.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

:
No, we found that being dead anywhere still counts as being dead. Strange how you may not count as being dead under your policy and had to gurantee your death would count and really be thought of as being a death here in New Zealand. I suppose those policy issuers must look on New Zealand as a form of heaven. I am assuming that you have lived the sort of life that would put you there. That must be why being dead in New Zealand doesn't count as being dead, it must be like heaven so you don't need insurance.

We changed my policy as it was cheaper to do so rather than earn local currency and pay in a higher foreign currency. We left Vicki's in place as there is a rider in place that covers them if they die. In New Zealand, we were told that a life under 11 years old is not insurable.
i would maybe agree with you if i could understand what you were trying to say
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

We also have a high rate of mental illness. Makes me wonder what is lacking in my country

http://www.spinz.org.nz/
Hi, I read recently that if mental illness is being calculated by the number of prescriptions for anti-depressants then it's quite misleading, as more and more people are being described one of two anti-depressants to help them stop smoking. So, the stats are not quite as bad as they look.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:33 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

True...but the figures for suicide and attempted suicide are stil very high when expressed as a % of the population.

Perhaps it's good to emigrate to New Zealand, but not to be born here.

(Best of all is to be born here, bugger off for 25 years after university and then come back with enough money and memories to keep warm during the endless winter nights....)

Last edited by Avid; Oct 16th 2007 at 4:42 am.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

High suicide levels..........

Never realised that there were so many dentists in New Zealand.....
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Some statistics are very dubious (e.g NZ Crime reporting rates), but i don't think Suicide rates can be disputed really. One of the most frequent causes of boys' suicide is due to losing girlfriends etc., boys bottle up their feelings more, but the NZ girls rate is quite high too.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...te-young-males

English suicide rates are very very low for an industrial country !
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:11 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
English suicide rates are very very low for an industrial country !
That's a cultural issue. Coroners tend to record a lot of 'accidental deaths' to avoid upsetting the remaining relatives with the so-called stigma of suicide.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
That's a cultural issue. Coroners tend to record a lot of 'accidental deaths' to avoid upsetting the remaining relatives with the so-called stigma of suicide.
That's interesting ? Sounds reasonable i have to say. Where are you you referring to, Japan ? How do you know ?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
That's interesting ? Sounds reasonable i have to say. Where are you you referring to, Japan ? How do you know ?
Not Japan, the UK. I thought it was common knowledge in the UK that, unless it was very clearly suicide then coroners would always spare people's blushes and go for 'accident'.

As for Japan, a fascinating fact that you can ponder over breakfast.

One of the most popular methods of suicide over there is jumping off buildings.

The people who commit suicide by jumping off buildings always remove their shoes and place them neatly by the ledge they jumped from.

Nobody is sure why people do this....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.