Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stuff I've learned to live with in NZ

Stuff I've learned to live with in NZ

Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:43 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stuff I've learned to live with in NZ

I like the simpler lifestyle. dont miss materialism. great place if you dont mind living on the smell of an oily rag.
the air is clean and the beaches empty - wonderful.
not sure about the sanctimonious stuff, wish that they would just be themselves and not pretend to be so good.
all this holier than thou stuff grates after a while.
the driving is horrific.
Otherwise it is fabulous, a beautiful country, the fresh food tastes sooo good, the wine is too, petrol is cheap, car insurance is too, the checkout girls at the supermarket talk to you too! people are helpful but you need to watch out for the ones who think that a brit accent means walking bank.
all i say ls stop using 'roundup', planting willow and pls stop preventing me from getting a decent job!

Last edited by tweetweet; Nov 14th 2011 at 7:55 am.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Now I don't know if I have got used to this or if people have learned that I am not interested in the do-gooding bible bashing religious types that seemed to be extremely in your face and prevalent when we first arrived. Maybe I have stopped noticing all the evangelic stuff on TV, the text to talk to God and Destiny Church; but they all seem to have gone away now!

Although we do still get the regular Saturday lunchtime door knocking God squads - emigrate half way round the world and you can't get away from them
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Now I don't know if I have got used to this or if people have learned that I am not interested in the do-gooding bible bashing religious types that seemed to be extremely in your face and prevalent when we first arrived. Maybe I have stopped noticing all the evangelic stuff on TV, the text to talk to God and Destiny Church; but they all seem to have gone away now!

Although we do still get the regular Saturday lunchtime door knocking God squads - emigrate half way round the world and you can't get away from them
I found it interesting to note all the places where these next generation bible bashers have taken up residence - all kinds of unlikely shops in the middle of shopping centres, former drive-through restaurants, former car dealerships etc. etc. Undecided as to whether this is a better look than empty buildings.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There was a huge car dealership / showroom place right on the Southern Motorway by Sylvia Park, now taken over by the City Impact happy clappy church. It must be a growing business!!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Might as well take it over, it's not as if anyone in NZ can afford to buy a new car... or even a 10 year old one, evidently
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:26 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DC10
Might as well take it over, it's not as if anyone in NZ can afford to buy a new car... or even a 10 year old one, evidently
Materialistic
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:29 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tweetweet
I like the simpler lifestyle. dont miss materialism. great place if you dont mind living on the smell of an oily rag.
the air is clean and the beaches empty - wonderful.
not sure about the sanctimonious stuff, wish that they would just be themselves and not pretend to be so good.
all this holier than thou stuff grates after a while.
the driving is horrific.
Otherwise it is fabulous, a beautiful country, the fresh food tastes sooo good, the wine is too, petrol is cheap, car insurance is too, the checkout girls at the supermarket talk to you too! people are helpful but you need to watch out for the ones who think that a brit accent means walking bank.
all i say ls stop using 'roundup', planting willow and pls stop preventing me from getting a decent job!
Not been here long have you? Thats just what I said a few years ago, but living in Wanganui is probably why I've changed my mind
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Babykayleigh has a brilliant futureBabykayleigh has a brilliant futureBabykayleigh has a brilliant futureBabykayleigh has a brilliant futureBabykayleigh has a brilliant futureBabykayleigh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lardyl
OK - so has anyone managed to overcome (totally or partially) an irrational (or otherwise) issue with some part of NZ life?

I have to admit that in the first week or so in the country I witnessed three crazy bits of driving - two as a pedestrian.....all showing no regard for other road users and/or pedestrians

However, now I am far more laid back on the roads although the inability of some drivers to select the correct road position still doesn't fail to annoy.
Driving in NZ is a learning curve for us, I have been here nearly 8 yrs and sometimes their driving can be annoying... As for pedestrians they have right of way in certain circumstances, go into Whitcoulls or Paperplus and have a look at the highway code and see what they tell you about the rights of pedestrians.... Plus the Kiwi's make up there own ideas also so you have to get used to how they do things over here... Make sure you also get your NZ drivers licence within the first 11 months otherwise you will have to be on a learners licence, then restricted and then permanent... It will cost you about $80 to do the quick scratch test you can go to the AA and get a mock test and see how you do you need to get 33 out of 35 right to pass... If you purchase the NZ highway code all you need to read is the section at the back and memorise them as these will be the questions you need to answer...

The kiwis need to learn how to drive properly however they seem to think they do, they can be accommodating in allowing you in when merging but inconsiderate as pedestrians and at times as drivers.... But it is a totally relaxing drive and not frustrating as it would be in the UK, and when they've learnt what rush hour is it's nothing like the UK... However I've not experienced Auckland and would think that would be more like the UK at times....
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The thing I just cannot abide with the driving over there (and, to a lesser extent, in Aus) is the tendency to needlessly trickle along at less than the speed limit in the right lane of a motorway/dual carriageway, causing undertaking. WHY do it? WHY???
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I just cannot abide with the driving over there (and, to a lesser extent, in Aus) is the tendency to needlessly trickle along at less than the speed limit in the right lane of a motorway/dual carriageway, causing undertaking. WHY do it? WHY???
I find it's usually because at some point in the future they will want to turn right.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

don't know

we have a short section of dual carriageway at the end of our street - no median barrier and it starts at some lights. Almost every driver adopts the right hand lane even when there is noone in the nearside lane and pootles along in it. crazy, stupid, so frustrating and sums up Kiwi drivers and road position. Same at give ways, they dont move over to one side or the other to allow others in the queue to get past.

They have no idea. None. Period.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I find it's usually because at some point in the future they will want to turn right.
and they don't think you should change lane at all.....
same applies then joining a dual carriageway, if you move over to let someone on they think you are crazy......
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

and they don't think you should change lane at all.....
same applies then joining a dual carriageway, if you move over to let someone on they think you are crazy......
Yes that complaint is high on the list too

I wonder to myself about the Kiwi drivers "I wonder how long you'd last in Italy"
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:39 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They have no idea. None. Period.
I keep trying to get used to it as they're unlikely to change in the foreseeable future but I'm still constantly amazed.

Little things like how everyone cuts the blind corner halfway up our street, sometimes half and half over the centre line.
Or how people haven't a clue how to indicate at roundabouts and assume that you haven't either, and just ignore your signals.
Pedestrians and drivers who have no clue of the rules at crossings.
Walking across without looking, doing that near the crossing as if it has an aura of protection that will stop them getting running over, drivers stopping if someone's walking past the crossing, etc etc.

Bugger I'm off again.

You just have to assume that every driver and pedestrian is a partially sighted thoughtless clueless impatient idiot and you'll be all good
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:42 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Yes that complaint is high on the list too

I wonder to myself about the Kiwi drivers "I wonder how long you'd last in Italy"

ever known one to come back ?

but most of us get used to it, took me a couple of years.
Only time it's an issue with me is when I am late for an appointment or under stress...........that'll be most of the time......

could be worse might have to overtake this one:

Last edited by lardyl; Nov 20th 2011 at 9:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.