Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Studying on a Straight to residence visa

Studying on a Straight to residence visa

Old Feb 7th 2023, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Pippa89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying on a Straight to residence visa

I am looking to relocate to NZ with my husband. He has received a job offer in tier 1 on the green list which would make him (and me) eligible for a straight to residence visa.

I can't seem to find anyone who knows whether this visa would enable me to be considered a domestic student for studying at university.

The only people who seem to have this answer is NZ immigration and the only way to contact them is by phoning the NZ number. I live in the UK the cost for me to ring them is astronomical.

Has anyone studied on this visa? Does anyone know the answer?
Does anyone want to ring NZ immigration for me 😂😂

Thanks people, much love x
Old Feb 8th 2023, 2:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Studying on a Straight to residence visa

Originally Posted by Pippa89
I am looking to relocate to NZ with my husband. He has received a job offer in tier 1 on the green list which would make him (and me) eligible for a straight to residence visa.

I can't seem to find anyone who knows whether this visa would enable me to be considered a domestic student for studying at university.

The only people who seem to have this answer is NZ immigration and the only way to contact them is by phoning the NZ number. I live in the UK the cost for me to ring them is astronomical.

Contact whichever university you are interested in. They should know or be able to double check for you. Be very clear which visa your husband is uplifting and that you are able to enter on the back of this.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Pippa89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BEVS thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I have emailed a couple of the universities and they don't know (which I find very surprising). They have directed me to NZ immigration both times. 😞
Old Feb 8th 2023, 5:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippa89

Hi Pippa. This the the NZ government's definition of a domestic student for tertiary education, it's all greek to me but it might help you.
First link (which leads to the second link)
https://www.education.govt.nz/our-wo...%20(2)%3B%20or

https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2022-go5549

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 8th 2023 at 5:25 am.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Refer to conditions of the Straight to Residence Visa it says:

Study

Once you have your residence visa you can study anywhere for any length of time.

Definition of a Domestic Student

So I think that all means that you are good to go as a domestic student.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 8th 2023 at 6:06 am.