Student Midwife

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

follow_ur_dreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Student Midwife

Hi everyone, i've literally just joined this site!

i'm in my final year of midwifery training (degree level). i have a 15 year old daughter and a lovely boyfriend. I'm looking at emigrating to maybe Auckland in a years time (once my daughter finishes her GCSE's).

does anyone know if it would be possible for all 3 of us to emigrate i.e. would i have to be married?

Also, we're looking to go on a fact finding holiday at the end of august, just to see if we like the country, although i have no doubts we will

i'd be grateful for tips and and to make new friends and contacts on here

thanx guys!!

B xx
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:47 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Midwife

hi

freinds of ours were in a long term relationship (still are) when they applied here and it was fine.

they just had to prove the fact that it was long term and not a convinience thing.Photos,bills dates they met and as much proof as possible.

that was a while ago but i would guess its still the case.

My wife teaches the degree course here as well as running her own midwifery practice for Otago Polytechnic which encompasses CPIT and Southland midwifes on the course, so if you want a heads up on midwifery here (which is very different) then drop her a line (how about a third year work placement down here!! just a thought!!)

good luck

george
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george toni
hi

(how about a third year work placement down here!! just a thought!!)

good luck

george
I have a friend, well, more accurately the daughter of a friend, who recently did just that. She came over & did her 3rd year elective placement with a midwifery team in Palmy, and had a great time. It gave her real insight into midwifery as a career over here, & the different systems in place. It also gives a huge insight into real NZ life...as opposed to a holiday. She now plans to come back for a couple of years some time in the future & work over here as a midwife.

However she told me that she had to wait until she had a certain amount of experience before she could apply for a job here, that NZIS didn't want inexperienced new grads & I'm fairly sure she quoted 18m post reg experience. I did just try to check that out on the NZIS website but for some reason it's not loading for me this morning. Do check it out for yourself & don't take my word as necessarily accurate, Sara can be a bit scatty sometimes & it's entirely possible that she, or I, of course, might have misinterpreted something.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Im also a midwife at the start of the immigration process. Im also planning to move with my partner although we're not married and its not a problem.

Ive just gone through the process of getting my NZ midwifery registraiton sorted out so if I can help in any way just ask. I've also had contact with a few DHB's (district health boards) in NZ to discuss relevent experience ect (I just qualified in 2008) so again feel free to as any questions and I'll pass on any any I have.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisamct
Hi Im also a midwife at the start of the immigration process. Im also planning to move with my partner although we're not married and its not a problem.

Ive just gone through the process of getting my NZ midwifery registraiton sorted out so if I can help in any way just ask. I've also had contact with a few DHB's (district health boards) in NZ to discuss relevent experience ect (I just qualified in 2008) so again feel free to as any questions and I'll pass on any any I have.
Hi everyone, thanx so much for replying (i hope this is posted at the end of all the replies...not quite sure how the forum works yet!)

hhmmm so, its looking highly likely that i will need experience before i head out there for good (makes sense really).

Ive already done my elective placement which is a shame. i should have thought about coming over then.

I am looking to get some midiwfery contatcts, so lisamct, thanx for ur help in advance!!

In midwifery terms do u think Auckland would be a good place to settle? i have to admit that the weather is a big decider for us as we want lots of sunshine!!

thanx again peeps, u've been great...i will continue to do lots of research!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Hi all

I am fairly sure that NZIS do not have any stipulation that you have to be an experienced midwife to apply.

- As long as you have a job offer you should def pass the selection criteria However if you do not have a job offer you can only claim points for work experience if you have 2 - 4 years in the job.

Many of the DHB's will take on new grad midwifes and have specific New Grad Programmes in place. As a new grad, I got offered Counties Manukau (South Auckland) who seemed to have quite a good scheme in place - however the area wasn't for us and have since now got almost 18months post grad under my belt in the UK (mainly due to the global recession and circumstances ).

Definitely take Tomsk & George's advice and see if you can do an elective placement out there as part of your final year .. I did this and found it hugely worthwhile and a real insight.

lisamct - you and me seem in the same boat ...... have just got confirmation that I have NZ Registration and just waiting to secure job offer. Do you have job offer yet ???? How far down the immigration route are you..... always PM me if you prefer.

Good Luck all

L x
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

right, ok so i need to get out there and see if i can get a job first (im not sure if i can bare working in the NHS for longer than a year!) but its worth it if it means i can get out of it some time in the near future.

the south island does sound lovely but i think its gonna be too quiet.

i've heard that i can only work in a hospital when i first work there, does anyone know if this is true?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

You don't necessarily need to go out there to secure a job. Some options are go direct to the DHB's websites, check with recruitment agencies if you prefer . Very often there are advertisements in The Practising Midwife monthly journal .

My registration is subject to conditions..... there are various modules I have to undertake before they are lifted and it also states that .... Quote... "I may not work in sole practice as a LMC." Sole practice means " that "you must work either as an employed midwife (under a manager) or if in self employed practice, with a midwifery partner or preferably in a group practice. This means that you will always have access by prior arrangement to another New Zealand midwife for support, as a mentor and to assist with prescribing and NZ regulations if necessary - this does not mean that you have to work under supervison "

hope it helps
xx
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by follow_ur_dreams
right, ok so i need to get out there and see if i can get a job first (im not sure if i can bare working in the NHS for longer than a year!) but its worth it if it means i can get out of it some time in the near future.

the south island does sound lovely but i think its gonna be too quiet.

i've heard that i can only work in a hospital when i first work there, does anyone know if this is true?
It seems pretty easy to get a job before you go. Ive contacted a couple of midwifery managers over there who have said they'd be happy to work with immigration and make a job offer knowing that it could be MANY months before I would actually get over there.

I've definitely been recommended to work in the hospital first whilst completing the courses you'll need to do to gain full registration then you can do as you please. You dont have to though, you can work as an LMC straight away but you wont have prescribing rights till you've completed the added courses so might make things pretty difficult.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:25 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in my final year of midwifery training (degree level). i have a 15 year old daughter and a lovely boyfriend. I'm looking at emigrating to maybe Auckland in a years time (once my daughter finishes her GCSE's).

does anyone know if it would be possible for all 3 of us to emigrate i.e. would i have to be married?

Also, we're looking to go on a fact finding holiday at the end of august, just to see if we like the country, although i have no doubts we will

thanx guys!!

B xx
Hi B
Not able to add anything to sound advice already given re midwifery but just wanted to say 'welcome to the 'family' !!! and to reiterate that it makes no difference whether you're married or not....as OP's have said just hang on to any 'evidence' to prove you are in a genuine stable relationship.
B x (snap!!)
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

thanx guys!!

B xx
Hi

Marriage in itself does not count, as far as NZIS goes, as a stable relationship, proof of joint bank accounts going over two years, council tax bill. gas bills ..... they all are fine for NZIS
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:47 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

check out Massey university as I think you can do a drugs conversion course from them before you come out here certainly was what my wife did before coming here.

alot of new grads here go straight out into the community to 'cut their teeth' befor going into the hospital. Totaly arse about face to the UK with community based midwifes having to have hospital experience first!

I couldnt handle Auckland even for the weather to busy for me.

best way to get a job is to call DHB'S direct to touch base.

If you want to come to Dunedin im sure Toni could help you on that front.

South Island isnt 'quiet atall dont know where thats come from CHCH and even Dunedin are both cities and have all the buzz you could want.

Sure Auckland has more concerts and stuff but also shit loads of traffic jams and lots more people.

All down to lifestyle choices.

I wear t shirts on some winters days here with hot sun then wrap up to avoid the freezing rain the next!

good luck

george
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi B
Not able to add anything to sound advice already given re midwifery but just wanted to say 'welcome to the 'family' !!! and to reiterate that it makes no difference whether you're married or not....as OP's have said just hang on to any 'evidence' to prove you are in a genuine stable relationship.
B x (snap!!)
Hi B!!

thanx for the welcome, everyone's been great on here...such a help when there's so much to do!

me and my BF don't actually live together as he lives miles away, how would that work, do u know? (i think thats where i'm thinking of the marriage thing)

B xx
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by george toni
check out Massey university as I think you can do a drugs conversion course from them before you come out here certainly was what my wife did before coming here.

alot of new grads here go straight out into the community to 'cut their teeth' befor going into the hospital. Totaly arse about face to the UK with community based midwifes having to have hospital experience first!

I couldnt handle Auckland even for the weather to busy for me.

best way to get a job is to call DHB'S direct to touch base.

If you want to come to Dunedin im sure Toni could help you on that front.

South Island isnt 'quiet atall dont know where thats come from CHCH and even Dunedin are both cities and have all the buzz you could want.

Sure Auckland has more concerts and stuff but also shit loads of traffic jams and lots more people.

All down to lifestyle choices.

I wear t shirts on some winters days here with hot sun then wrap up to avoid the freezing rain the next!

good luck

george
ok, soooooo need to re-think where i'd like to settle. i'd always thought the south island was really quiet :-/ lloks like we'll have to do a tour of the island when we come over (what a shame!)
there's sooo much i need to look into; i hadnt even realised that LMC's could prescribe.
and yes ur right, its ironic that in the UK generally u need experience in a hospital before they 'let u loose' on community. just to add-holland midwives cant work in a hospital until they've had 2yrs community experience.

thanx for the advice, much appreciated x
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:11 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi B!!

thanx for the welcome, everyone's been great on here...such a help when there's so much to do!

me and my BF don't actually live together as he lives miles away, how would that work, do u know? (i think thats where i'm thinking of the marriage thing)

B xx
Hiya
Not 100% but think you have to be living together, they are looking for evidence of same address, marriage would strengthan your evidence but you still need to show 12 months worth of evidence I think, so evidence prior to marriage could be photos, invitations, holiday reciepts - boarding card etc, you can also submit letters of support from family & friends.
HTH
B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.