Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Old May 28th 2010, 12:46 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice
Default Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

And then has the affrontery to say that London is a good city.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ellington.html

The offending comments which the journo writes about were made in the sunday times, way back in 2003....Old news I reckon, must be a slow news' day at the Mail!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1143207.ece

Just another case of the colonialists bashing the locals...

Last edited by dytopia; May 28th 2010 at 12:55 pm.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:52 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Originally Posted by dytopia
And then has the affrontery to say that London is a good city.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ellington.html
We spend so much time listening to missives from 'Broken Britain' that we have stopped appreciating what a privilege it is to live in a country that even in recession genuinely values culture for the masses.

London's the rip-off capital of the world, we are told. Well, yes, if you are the type of twerp who comes to town and heads straight for the queue of airheads outside Madame Tussauds.

But you can walk around the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the Tate, the Tate Modern, study the greatest artistic achievements of mankind and the cost will be nothing, nothing, nothing and nothing. Plus nothing to get in the British Museum.

I agree 100%, especcially the bit about Madame Tussaud's

But how unlike the DM to say anything positive about Britain.
Old May 28th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

a crock of shit.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2010 at 1:12 pm.
Old May 28th 2010, 1:05 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! Hope it deters a lot of Daily Mail readers from emigrating to Wellington!

oh.... sorry dytopia!

WP !!!
Old May 28th 2010, 2:05 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Brilliant! Hope it deters a lot of Daily Mail readers from emigrating to Wellington!

oh.... sorry dytopia!

WP !!!
My thoughts exactly! Less of 'em will come to NZ, it's a win-win. (I only read the mail now and again to see what the middle-class royal-loving right are up to).
Old May 28th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elfman
But you can walk around the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the Tate, the Tate Modern, study the greatest artistic achievements of mankind and the cost will be nothing, nothing, nothing and nothing. Plus nothing to get in the British Museum.
Personally, I would not have rated some of the art in those places as the "Greatest artistic achievements of mankind."

Honestly, an unmade bed? A piece of blue-tac? That is art? My HOUSE is full of art if that is the case!!!

Proper art is oh I dunno..... Michangello's David, the Mona Lisa & other really really old stuff. Not modern crap that I could sneeze!

Oh, and I read the Daily Mail too Do you know it's main selling point for me? It's anti-Whoever is in No. 10.
Old May 28th 2010, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman

But how unlike the DM to say anything positive about Britain.
It's not crap any more - the Tories are in
Old May 28th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Care to put some pounds sterling on that statement?
Old May 28th 2010, 8:35 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Now there's the triumph of hope over experience
Old May 28th 2010, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Now there's the triumph of hope over experience
Old May 28th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

I've been to London a few times and it's the most unfriendly place I've ever been to, awful.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Personally, I would not have rated some of the art in those places as the "Greatest artistic achievements of mankind."

Honestly, an unmade bed? A piece of blue-tac? That is art? My HOUSE is full of art if that is the case!!!

Proper art is oh I dunno..... Michangello's David, the Mona Lisa & other really really old stuff. Not modern crap that I could sneeze!
so you've never actually visited the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery? No unmade beds or blu-tack in either of those.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Trish M
I've been to London a few times and it's the most unfriendly place I've ever been to, awful.
I think that's a Samuel Johnson quote.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish M
I know I used to work there...but it is 'more exciting' than Wellington but it's hardly fair to compare them - all they have in common is that they are both seats of Government.
Could never afford to actually live in London - used to commute in.

Don't diasgree with the article those surveys are dumb and the Kiwis are too sport mad but then so was the journo in question.
'' You can't beat Wellington on a good day'' as the saying goes but on a rainy one I know you can lol.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I love London. It's a great city to live in when you're young and flush for sure.
And yes i prefer it to welly having lived there for a long time - London had my best years!
but London is a great BIG city
Wellington is a great Little city and at this stage of my life, i know what I prefer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.