Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Streets a total tip......

Wikiposts

Streets a total tip......

Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Streets a total tip......

Originally Posted by Avid
So...anybody reading this who is still in the UK.

Yes..we scavenge on the streets for whatever scraps we can find and then try and sell them on the crappiest looking e-bay rip-off ever in order to make ends meet.

Come and join us!!
I noticed this when we were in Auckland and thought it looked pretty weird. Whole suites of furniture just sat by the side of the road.

In the UK we have this lovely website called freecycle. You get to list your junk or needs and e-mail each other to arrange collection. A bit like trademe except everything has to be free. It's great for house-moving. Anything like that in NZ?

Alison
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:59 am
Just Joined

handi will become famous soon enoughhandi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Avid
So...anybody reading this who is still in the UK.

Yes..we scavenge on the streets for whatever scraps we can find and then try and sell them on the crappiest looking e-bay rip-off ever in order to make ends meet.

Come and join us!!
Well that's decided then! When we come across, we're just going to fill the container to the roof with old batteries, light bulbs, tupperware boxes, and just about anything we can find.

Why throw it away in the UK, when you can flog it in NZ

Seriously though, I think this is great. A bit odd from a UK perspective, but when you consider the amount of perfectly good stuff that we throw on the tip, it makes perfect sense. If we tried this in the UK, there would be no point in rummaging through anyone's unwanted goods, the bags would be full of unwanted nappies and the like

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended)

I.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:28 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
I'd rather have the Watties - Bit on the Side (apricot or seet chillie) - yum.... BTW, anyone got any decent Mango chutney over here?? Miss Sharwoods.......
I bought Sharwoods the other day in my local New World
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garryhg
hope that street will be cleaned up for us moving up there brian....not moving up to steptoes yard
This end of litten road is looking far more like a junk yard than the beach end

I think ours is one of the only houses without a pile of junk outside so should be sweet for when you move in......

We'll have to get together soon so you can have a look around and check things out plus we can tell you about the pool, dire internet connection (got a trick as far as this goes), etc...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I bought Sharwoods the other day in my local New World
thanks will have another look on the "oriental" aisle, LardyL (chief hunter and gatherer for the Lardies!! still!!)
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by niseysOH
This end of litten road is looking far more like a junk yard than the beach end

I think ours is one of the only houses without a pile of junk outside so should be sweet for when you move in......

We'll have to get together soon so you can have a look around and check things out plus we can tell you about the pool, dire internet connection (got a trick as far as this goes), etc...
sounds ominous,whats wrong with the poolmind you ours is getting back to normal nowkids managed to get in on sunday,
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garryhg
sounds ominous,whats wrong with the poolmind you ours is getting back to normal nowkids managed to get in on sunday,
Pool is good we had a guy around to service it and test the water and we have a report on it which we'll give you. Bought some extra chemicals for it as well.....

The pump may need a new filter soon apparently as the pressure is not brill...

Our landlord also needs to buy a few more tools for the pool maintainence as the net that was here, held to gether with package tape, is not exactly very good for cleaning the pool.....

I'm away to OZ in a few days (back late Monday) and we move next week, probably be out completely by next thursday all being well after which we want to have a day making sure the house is spotless for you guys. Maybe we can all get together for a coffee here next week some time?

Give you a call today or tomorrow.....
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Pool is good we had a guy around to service it and test the water and we have a report on it which we'll give you. Bought some extra chemicals for it as well.....

The pump may need a new filter soon apparently as the pressure is not brill...

Our landlord also needs to buy a few more tools for the pool maintainence as the net that was here, held to gether with package tape, is not exactly very good for cleaning the pool.....

I'm away to OZ in a few days (back late Monday) and we move next week, probably be out completely by next thursday all being well after which we want to have a day making sure the house is spotless for you guys. Maybe we can all get together for a coffee here next week some time?

Give you a call today or tomorrow.....
yeh get together before you move....we got swimart to test the pool,they were fine and told us what we had to do....garry bought a new net and hoover for the pool so we will bring them with us...is denise getting a few days off for moving or will it be just you,because your more that welcome to drop the kids of here till you get everything moved...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by littleal
In the UK we have this lovely website called freecycle. You get to list your junk or needs and e-mail each other to arrange collection. A bit like trademe except everything has to be free. It's great for house-moving. Anything like that in NZ?
Freecycle is in NZ on the Yahoo groups - I know of a Wellington and an Auckland one.

Spare a thought for the poor westies then... we only get one inorganic collection a year!