Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Straw/break/camel.......

Straw/break/camel.......

Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:37 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Straw/break/camel.......

I smiled many moons ago, when the Lloyd's names had to cough up a few bob.
Seems them who try to make money for doing nothing, usually by giving it to a faceless entity who make promises of immense wealth, always seem surprised when they get caught out.
This has nothing really to do with the thread, but like JustCol, I go to work, I get paid, pay the taxes, and get a rebate. Seems to work so far, but not sure what will happen when I retire. Hey ho,
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:36 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon you should just be where you'll be happiest Genesis. If that's the UK, then go for it.
One thing about the tax thing I'm stumped by though, going by what you said regarding your savings etc. Won't they be taxed more in the UK? Isn't the UK's top tax rate at 50% or something?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck deciding what's the right option Genesis. The only thing I can't resist saying is to urge you to try not to trash everything here in your mind to justify your desire to go back. There is plenty about NZ that is shite and I'm sorry if this tax proposal goes through (I don't understand the ins and outs but I do wonder why this is being proposed and not capital gains tax ...) but I do wonder just how much tax you'd actually pay and whether that will offset what you'll lose in relocating again and what you have always said you'd lose selling your Kiwi home with its improvements.

Anyway, we all know the way politics works: they make a ludicrously unpopular proposal, which generates all sorts of anger and debate and then they "compromise" so as to be seen as listening to the people. The compromise being precisely what the initial intention was.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Best of luck deciding what's the right option Genesis. The only thing I can't resist saying is to urge you to try not to trash everything here in your mind to justify your desire to go back. There is plenty about NZ that is shite and I'm sorry if this tax proposal goes through (I don't understand the ins and outs but I do wonder why this is being proposed and not capital gains tax ...) but I do wonder just how much tax you'd actually pay and whether that will offset what you'll lose in relocating again and what you have always said you'd lose selling your Kiwi home with its improvements.

Anyway, we all know the way politics works: they make a ludicrously unpopular proposal, which generates all sorts of anger and debate and then they "compromise" so as to be seen as listening to the people. The compromise being precisely what the initial intention was.
I intend to get my tax liabilities sorted before we do anything. The proposal will probably go through and we will pay our tax thus we will have paid a large part of what may be due in the UK (and you cannot be double taxed apparently).

I have no idea about what liabilities lay elsewhere for us. I think this issue has bought to the fore 'where do I really want to be right now'. And the more I think about it the less I know!

I think I miss people way more than I ever did before. But we are well set up here now and the thought (whilst exciting) of upping sticks and going is a bit scary in some ways! Over the weekend I have mellowed somewhat over this issue and accept my fate no matter how unfair it may be. I think there may be some underlying wanderlust and maybe a bit of the need for some excitement in my life!!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 5:51 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think there may be some underlying wanderlust and maybe a bit of the need for some excitement in my life!!
Hummmm
That's what brought me out here in the first place
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:38 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think I miss people way more than I ever did before. But we are well set up here now and the thought (whilst exciting) of upping sticks and going is a bit scary in some ways! Over the weekend I have mellowed somewhat over this issue and accept my fate no matter how unfair it may be. I think there may be some underlying wanderlust and maybe a bit of the need for some excitement in my life!!
Me too. I miss family, but it's deeper than that even; I miss being part of my family.

WRT underlying wanderlust- no chance of a holiday anytime soon?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Me too. I miss family, but it's deeper than that even; I miss being part of my family.

WRT underlying wanderlust- no chance of a holiday anytime soon?
We have been twice in the last 7 years. Another xmas jaunt is planned for Dec 2014. May go before. Trouble with all these thoughts is that we know our quality of life will take a probable downturn if we return to the Uk and I am not sure how we would cope with that. Plus all the crowds and grid lock..which really scares me!!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

That I saved for during 11 years as a public servant.
Did you really save 90 thousand pounds in 11 years or is it actually the good old British taxpayer that paid it?
Anyway tax has to be paid at some point and the savings were tax free at the point of saving so would have to be taxed at the point of drawing or am I missing the point?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Did you really save 90 thousand pounds in 11 years or is it actually the good old British taxpayer that paid it?
Anyway tax has to be paid at some point and the savings were tax free at the point of saving so would have to be taxed at the point of drawing or am I missing the point?
I got what I saved and what the govt said I could have in my pension pot. I guess you would have refused the govt input? You could have always joined plod yourself. I believe the offer I got was not specifically for me but for all those who donned the peaked hat. And tax was not due to be paid. QROPS was sold to us as a tax free vehicle.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Genesis for me it is the constant grey damp weather or worse .....the not being able to plan ahead to do stuff because of the weather , the constant queueing for things ......I find people here in the uk less optimistic about life ...having lived in both countries for a good length of time ...I think both have + & - but I find the long dark winters and lack of summers and the millions of people a bit to much to bare ....but that's just me ... Roll on when I sell the house and get back to nz .....for how long I stay is any ones guess, good luck with your decision :-)
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:46 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that grounds us here is our kids.

I do not have crystal ball, but I know that NZ is the best environment for our kids and it's up to us to keep them on the straight and narrow. Have a look at what going on in the world. Is the world a safer place now than 20 years ago? I do not think so What does the next 20 years hold globally? God knows, but I know NZ would be the smarter place to be.

Living in Doncaster might be cheap, but as someone that lived in South Yorkshire for a long time, it's hardly in my top 10 places I would want my family to be living.

We do not have a pension, so our retirement plans are based upon self sufficiency and having assets that generate income (real assets, not some fund). New Zealand is one the few places in the world that we have a good chance of achieving that.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Catchafire
One of the things that grounds us here is our kids.

I do not have crystal ball, but I know that NZ is the best environment for our kids and it's up to us to keep them on the straight and narrow. Have a look at what going on in the world. Is the world a safer place now than 20 years ago? I do not think so What does the next 20 years hold globally? God knows, but I know NZ would be the smarter place to be.

Living in Doncaster might be cheap, but as someone that lived in South Yorkshire for a long time, it's hardly in my top 10 places I would want my family to be living.

We do not have a pension, so our retirement plans are based upon self sufficiency and having assets that generate income (real assets, not some fund). New Zealand is one the few places in the world that we have a good chance of achieving that.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Totally agree with you. NZ IS probably the best place for all of us. Can't help missing those people back home though. Our state pension benefits are better here too than they would be in the UK. Ultimately the decision is my wife's, not mine. I think she will opt to stay after all things considered.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Of course its about money and resentment, can you find a thread by Genesis that isn't.
All he ever does is complain about money and his lack of it, its boring and tiresome.
but what do I know I just work with tiles, Ill leave tax laws and forex to the big clever boys

Harsh but fair BUT on this occasion i think he is very entitled to have a bitch about it bad investments are just that but as stated this is a very unfair retrospective tax, but what do I know i just drive diggers :

Neil
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with you and your wifes decision
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you. NZ IS probably the best place for all of us. Can't help missing those people back home though. Our state pension benefits are better here too than they would be in the UK. Ultimately the decision is my wife's, not mine. I think she will opt to stay after all things considered.
thanks for your good wishes mate. don't take any notice of the green-eyed tossers who have in for you. you've always been one of the most positive and thoughful posters here. in the main they are just johnny-come-latelys who know f-all about your journey, all those home improvements, etc

I do hope that you live well with the decision, which ever way it goes and that it all turns out the best for your family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.