Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The strange weather in Christchurch

The strange weather in Christchurch

Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default The strange weather in Christchurch

Really a bit of a heads up if you are thinking of living here

Today I had breakfast outside in the garden at 0800 and I had to go back inside as it was too HOT But this week it has been 12 degrees in the day in midsummer

It's all to do with them nor'westerlies, which can take the temperature up 10 degrees in 30 minutes.

We had 32.9 recorded near where we live last weekend, and also one year 42 degrees was recorded in Ohoka up the road. Yet we all had our winter boots and heaters on this week to keep warm

Jan
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The strange weather in Christchurch

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Yet we all had our winter boots and heaters on this week to keep warm

Jan
same here man. the weather has been so shite this week.......

Broke out my winter coat AGAIN.

last week thought winter's finally over so actually washed my several winter jackets. and put/packed them away but this week - found myself searching for the woollen coat again OMG !!!!

yes, the weather IS AWFUL here and windy most of the time, and I would never dress up properly as long as I live in Welly coz its damn COLD all the year round with strong wind. The weather isn't just perfect for a showing off of my lady outfits! put me off - anyway I look like a Cowboy everyday. can't help.

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 10th 2010 at 7:18 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I always found the Christchurch weather to be either pouring with rain, or blowing a gale if it was sunny.

The West Coast is the best place for warm sunny still days, even though it rains a lot there, there would be more pleasant still days than there are in Christchurch.

BB
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:48 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Really a bit of a heads up if you are thinking of living here

Today I had breakfast outside in the garden at 0800 and I had to go back inside as it was too HOT But this week it has been 12 degrees in the day in midsummer

It's all to do with them nor'westerlies, which can take the temperature up 10 degrees in 30 minutes.

We had 32.9 recorded near where we live last weekend, and also one year 42 degrees was recorded in Ohoka up the road. Yet we all had our winter boots and heaters on this week to keep warm

Jan
I concur.....

As long as Saturdays n Sundays are fine, you wont hear me complain!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, well two things. I am first going to say that it is not mid summer yet. In fact summer doesn't start for another 10 days. Next, yes, I agree the weather in New Zealand is a bit funny. When we came to New Zealand in 2006 we had a fire in the log burner on the 23rd of December.

We find that when the weather is good and warm, you have to make the most of it. We are now in Dunedin and the cool air off the ocean makes it 3 to 6 degrees cooler than where we were in North Canterbury. However, we don't have the wind that is so frequent there.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:13 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Very changeable! I was cold in the middle of the week and almost considered getting my warm winter blanket out to snuggle up in at night. Today is HOT, too hot in fact. I'm one of the peculiar people who prefers winter Just got in from work and it is 28C here...
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:03 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I know lol have been shaking my head this week - putting singlets and tights and jackets on my wee one in DECEMBER!!! My family (in Qld) absolutly refuse to believe me - had to take pics of her with her scarf and woolly hat on lol

One thing I will say in favour of ChCh is that I was expecting a LOT more rain but it's not been that way at all. I planted all these tomatoes and flowers and things and thought I'd be able to just leave them...but I've had to water the buggers all the time!!!

And lovely today - hot as Qld in the sun, but cool breeze and chilly in the shade. I guess I like my weather to come with options...
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:05 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm also heading to Queensland in a week and starting to dread the weather!!! The oppressive 35 degree heat, hot winds off the desert, sweat running in my eyes, skin being fried off by the seatbelt, burning my fingertips off on the steering wheel...NOT looking forward to it at all!!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I think a major difference here is that the sun is HOT and the wind is cool/cold - except for a nor'wester - so it is possible to stay cool on a hot day. And today has been totally perfect north of ChCh, sunny, breezy, clear skies. I love Aotearoa

Jan
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Best make the most of it!!! This year has been unusual to have such warm sunny weather all through November and thus far into December. We've only had about a third of the average expected rainfall and many areas in the north are technically in a drought situation.

Summer doesn't typically get going until mid January to February and the weather experts are now predicting that the current La Nina weather pattern will bring us the wettest summer for 21 years.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10692585

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10692810
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Best make the most of it!!! This year has been unusual to have such warm sunny weather all through November and thus far into December. We've only had about a third of the average expected rainfall and many areas in the north are technically in a drought situation.

Summer doesn't typically get going until mid January to February and the weather experts are now predicting that the current La Nina weather pattern will bring us the wettest summer for 21 years.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10692585

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10692810
Well, we had 44 wet days in Jan/Feb this year, so won't be any different for us!!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:15 am
Just Joined

fishpaste is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hot here today in chch....xmas day looks like its gonna rain a wee bit too.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

ditto. feel a little bit hot and its pretty unusual.

while snacking on hot noodles this evening, just had to take off one of my pants.........I still wear two layers (always) on the bottom + five layers on the top at home The temperature at my place is 21.7 °C however outside is actually 24 °C. my house is usually colder than outside... not surprising though..... the reality of poor Kiwi housing...eh..

aarrrhhhhh............I'd like to have Blueberry icecream ...............

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 18th 2010 at 5:09 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

36 degrees in town, 32.5 at home.

but 14 all week

as I said, the strange weather in Christchurch

Jan
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We're now onto day four of constant rain in Auckland.