Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stopping Distances

Stopping Distances

Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stopping Distances

I guess that stopping distances are much much shorter in NZ as the distance travelled is in km, which is obviously a shorter distance than a mile. Only way I can work out why people drive sooooooooo damned close to each other here...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stopping Distances

We just call it "Audible nearness factor" (just wait for the bang and you are close enough)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

You only have to look down at the road, to see all the glass at intersections.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I guess that stopping distances are much much shorter in NZ as the distance travelled is in km, which is obviously a shorter distance than a mile. Only way I can work out why people drive sooooooooo damned close to each other here...
I have a similiar query?

If when you travel in miles the thing on your dashboard is called a mileometer - does that mean when you travel in kilometers it is called a kilometermeter?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I have a similiar query?

If when you travel in miles the thing on your dashboard is called a mileometer - does that mean when you travel in kilometers it is called a kilometermeter?
In the US they call it a "trip-meter" (sic)

People keep a lovely long distance behind me here. Not sure if it's just the way they drive, or they're in awe at my wonderful car.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz

People keep a lovely long distance behind me here. Not sure if it's just the way they drive, or they're in awe at my wonderful car.
Or your wind ...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

You doing warp 5 up that gorge again!!!

A trip meter, isn't that linked back to the LSD days of the late 60's???
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

When I first got here, I used to keep two car lengths in front of me as I was used to doing in the UK. However, there's some sort of vacuum that sucks cars into that gap from the other lanes... I was practically going backwards trying to keep two car lengths of stopping distance.

Given up now and if I can see tarmac in front of my car, I'm too far away when in Rome...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:14 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I have a similiar query?

I am far too literal and I never know if someone is asking something rhetorically or not. but it is called an odometer.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I am far too literal and I never know if someone is asking something rhetorically or not. but it is called an odometer.
So how do you count the even miles/km then???
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:42 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
So how do you count the even miles/km then???
that took a while for me to work out...

very slow on the uptake this morning. I think the grey weather has slowed down my brain.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:28 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Beg to differ, they're too different things. The odometer is the one that cannot be tampered with. Easily, at any rate. Not that I've ever tried or ever would.

The tripmeter is the one you can reset yourself.

And yes IB, definitely linked to LSD. Duuuuuuuuude!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:34 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by Maz
Beg to differ, they're too different things. The odometer is the one that cannot be tampered with. Easily, at any rate. Not that I've ever tried or ever would.

The tripmeter is the one you can reset yourself.

And yes IB, definitely linked to LSD. Duuuuuuuuude!
Ahhh i forgot about the little tripmeter one which you can play with. Actually i think that is what it is called isn't it-tripmeter?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh i forgot about the little tripmeter one which you can play with. Actually i think that is what it is called isn't it-tripmeter?
I think the technical NZ term is "tripmeter, bro"
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

And I think it was the speedometer that was being discussed too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.