Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Step by step instructions

Step by step instructions

Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default Step by step instructions

We are currently waiting to hear if we are successful and hopefully that will be a yes and we can submit our ITA. Someone said the other day 'I just hope you've looked in to it properly and done your homework' Well I'm not really a homework kind of girl! I thought we had looked over everything but I just wanted to ask some of you experts if you could put it in step by step guide what would you advise we need to really read up on?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by step instructions

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
We are currently waiting to hear if we are successful and hopefully that will be a yes and we can submit our ITA. Someone said the other day 'I just hope you've looked in to it properly and done your homework' Well I'm not really a homework kind of girl! I thought we had looked over everything but I just wanted to ask some of you experts if you could put it in step by step guide what would you advise we need to really read up on?
The poor quality of NZ homes..to buy and rent.

The wages..will you earn enough. Have you enough savings to tide you over for all the ad hoc expenses we all find need doing..and buying?

Where you are going to live..chose well. Is it a quiet street? Try for a cul de sac..never lived in one in the Uk and living in one now I will never NOT live in another!! Will the town you are moving to keep you amused long term.

Look at all the bad stats. about NZ..its really important to know what type of country you are going to.

Have you thought about the isolation? No europe on your door step. Going home costs 10 years savings for most of us and you never get annual in 1 year to do a good trip!!!!

Look at the weather in respect to where you are going..will it suit you.?

Any more anyone?? PS how much will you miss rellies chums and the home country...ask your self some REALLY hard questions...will you return for serious illness and funerals..I won't but don't expect anyone to come for me!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cannot answer for the friend that said this to you.

I take it you had enough points to submit an EOI without a job offer .

Has your EOI been pulled from the EOI pool?

Here are some things you will have considered during your NZ homework.

Can we get jobs once in NZ. Very important is this one.
Can we afford to stay if we lose our jobs ------ recession !
Will we earn enough for our new, hoped for, NZ lifestyle
Can we afford to buy a house or will we rent.
What is the cost of bringing our animals and our worldly possessions.
Travel / Holidays- back to visit family or for that matter anywhere.
Isolation - NZ is isolated . Getting out is expensive.
Cost of living expenses versus earnings.
The weather is not better - it is different.
Culture shock . It exists. NZ and all the New Zealanders are just that. They have their own ways and culture & you will be the immigrant .

Thinking here but gotta go.

Doctor Who

I have had to miss series 3 ,from way back, due to circumstances beyond me control and have had to wait for it's reappearance.
Cannot afford the DVD's,
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

Hi
I like Bev's response and could not agree more

D
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:57 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

The lack of choice when shopping for ANYTHING

The cost of food, electricity and running a car

The possible cost of returning to the UK either permanently or for a visit

House prices in your chosen area

Availablity of work throughout the country

The cost of education for your kids (even in a State school)

Sorry if this makes for depressing reading but you really DO need to do research, research and more research, in order for you to make an informed decision if this is the best move for you and your family

HTH
Sarah
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:02 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P2L
I second Sarah on this one!

Only been here 4/5 weeks and already not too sure how to process so we can enjoy ourselves & save money to visit home...

In regards to moving back, I'd say find a job and get relocation allowance... Works in my line of work anyway...
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Doctor Who

I have had to miss series 3 ,from way back, due to circumstances beyond me control and have had to wait for it's reappearance.
Cannot afford the DVD's,
Have you tried the Library???
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, you've given me lots to think about
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P2L
The lack of choice when shopping for ANYTHING
The cost of food, electricity and running a car

House prices in your chosen area

Availablity of work throughout the country

The cost of education for your kids (even in a State school)

Sorry if this makes for depressing reading but you really DO need to do research, research and more research, in order for you to make an informed decision if this is the best move for you and your family

HTH
Sarah
Have to take issue with this Sarah. It's anything EXCEPT Muffins Much better choice than the UK as my a**e & thighs can testify
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:31 pm
`

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Have you tried the Library???
No ! Never gave that a thought

Karma your way.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:35 pm
`

Originally Posted by P2L
HTH
Sarah
I'd add an emergency fund to the above. This just wiped me out to the tune of around $6K . It was an emergency trip back that lasted over 2 months.

Perhaps it's time for another budget & costs, net wage v expenditure type thread.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
No ! Never gave that a thought

Karma your way.
Welly Central Library have 2 copies of the boxed set