Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starting up a business in nz

Starting up a business in nz

Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Amyosaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting up a business in nz

Hi. Thanks for reading this, my family and I have just arrived over from Scotland and we are going to starting up a business here. Does anyone have any recommendations for a. Seeking advice on setting up here and b. any idea of where to go for investment?

Many thanks for your help!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting up a business in nz

Quick question to ask you - what visa have you arrived on? Did you apply as a skilled migrant or through the Long Term Business Visa option?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...bv/default.htm

I'm actually quite curious that if you are granted PR under SMC - is there anything to stop you setting up a business once you get here?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:13 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amyosaurus
Hi. Thanks for reading this, my family and I have just arrived over from Scotland and we are going to starting up a business here. Does anyone have any recommendations for a. Seeking advice on setting up here and b. any idea of where to go for investment?

Many thanks for your help!
Where to start?

Go see an accountant! - This relationship is pretty important, make sure you get on with your accountant, that they understand what you are hoping to achieve. They will advise how to set up your business (ie partnership, sole trader, limited company) I "interviewed" four accountants before I settled on the one I liked best. For dealing with the IRD and working for families, for us they have been invaluable.

Register your company - If the accountant does not think you are mad and you are ready to take the plunge go online and get your company registered here http://www.business.govt.nz/companies

Open a bank account - I hate my bank, do not make the mistake I did and open a business account with a bank, just because you are used to using them for your personal stuff! Interview banks, just like the accountant, find out what THEY can do for YOU. I have since opened another business and opened an account with another bank, there is a huge difference between the level of personal service you will receive as well as business banking tools.

Customer service - NZ companies really suck at this, make sure you do not and you have won half the battle.

Good luck!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Amyosaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh that's great information thank you so much. FYI we are permanent residents as my husband is a kiwi. That's great to know about accountant and website. Thank you very much for your help
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

IRD can sometimes be useful:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-bus/starting/