Reload this Page >

Spending British winter in NZ

Spending British winter in NZ

Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Boskoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spending British winter in NZ

Hi,
I'm retired and living in the UK but hope to spend 2 or 3 months each winter in NZ. I've already had a few touring holidays and am now hoping to choose a different location each year and try to join community life - particularly playing golf and bowls.
Would anyone like to suggest some good locations? I guess I'm looking for smallish friendly communities with lots of nature and scenery nearby.
I am thinking of staying in Coromandel for the first trip.
Grateful for any thoughts and suggestions.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spending British winter in NZ

Hi there

My folks did this a couple of times back in the day. What about Banks Peninsula? Or if you wanted to get involved, somewhere where there's harvesting work? Central Otago mebee?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Hi Bearskin,

Thank you for responding. Banks Peninsula was on my list of possibles - I have spent a few days around Akaroa and loved the area and wanted to go back some time.

I like the idea of Central Otago - my wife and I only did the campervan round- trip down the East coast of South Island to Dunedin and then up to Queenstown and the West Coast. One of my main memories is of the pesky sandflies which made sitting outside the campervan almost impossible. Do you happen to know if Central Otago or some parts of it are relatively free of the blighters?

All the best.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:55 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

The Coromandel is beautiful. I could spend a few months there easy enough. Good luck with your trips. You're going to love it. Xx
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

You like golf

Napier and Hastings

Get yourself to Cape Kidnappers and have a round/weekend there. You'll not want to leave
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Napier takes my vote too although I was taken by Thames and Tairua last weekend. Six months in the UK and six in NZ sounds perfect if workable.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boskoop
Do you happen to know if Central Otago or some parts of it are relatively free of the blighters?

All the best.
Mt Cook National Park. Nary a sandfly to be seen when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

For small friendly communities with great golf courses, I would encourage you to head out to Central Hawkes Bay. Just beautiful, and off the beaten track
( I should add that some of the courses might involve shoving the odd sheep off the fairway, but if you're only paying a few dollars into an honesty box its not a big deal )

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Jan 21st 2014 at 4:21 am. Reason: added extra
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

East Cape - if you like it less touristy and quieter. The top of Northland or around Mt Taranaki (suppose to rain a lot there but very beautiful on sunny days) or Raglan.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Kerikeri in the Far North has a few nice golf courses (Kauri Cliffs is probably top) and has bowls club. There is a fair few retirees here!!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Kauri Cliffs will set you back a few hundred bucks . OngaOnga CHB green fees about $5.00! That said, I'd love to gouge out a few divots on the greens at Kauri Cliff - and one day I will ( bucket list )
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Kauri Cliffs will set you back a few hundred bucks . OngaOnga CHB green fees about $5.00! That said, I'd love to gouge out a few divots on the greens at Kauri Cliff - and one day I will ( bucket list )
Once in a lifetime eh?! Kerikeri Golf Club only $55 for non affiliated!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of my mother in law do this every year (spend Jan-Mar in NZ).

They have a place in Tairua in the Coromandel. Nice little town, has enough shops, cafés etc to keep them going and seems to have plenty going on - I know they belong to the bowling club there and a tramping group too I think. They are only a couple of hours from Auckland so drive up there if there is anything there they particularly want to see or do.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

We played bowls in Tauranga/Mt Manganui which is a favourite place of ours, Its within commuting distance from the Corromandel. Corromandel Town itself is pretty decent.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
These will keep me busy for few years!