Speaking Kiwi

Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speaking Kiwi

Has anyone else found themselves unwittingly taking on kiwi'isms?

Chatting to some english friends last night one looked at me in abject horror as I pronounced NZ as N "Zee" rather than N "Zed"

I've also found myself slipping in Bro rather a lot, and saying Yis.

Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:42 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speaking Kiwi

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ

Chatting to some english friends last night one looked at me in abject horror as I pronounced NZ as N "Zee" rather than N "Zed"

NOPE!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ

Yep! I find myself saying yis, hid, ligs amongst others, when at work with the children. I also have to check their spelling homework and have to change my pronunciation as the kids write the wrong word - I say less and they write lass
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Yep! I find myself saying yis, hid, ligs amongst others, when at work with the children. I also have to check their spelling homework and have to change my pronunciation as the kids write the wrong word - I say less and they write lass
Sorry - can you translate that please? hid? ligs? Head? Legs? Oh dear you have it bad!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know that I do the yis thing. I also do the "yis,no" thing too.
Husband started to speak with the upward inflection a while ago? Right annoying that one is?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

think one of the things I won't be doing is sayind "a" at the end of every sentence a
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

No!!!!

I am in the process of learning Maori though. Feel since i'm in a country that speaks that language, I should learn it as well. Quite difficult though learning by yourself

Plus the relatives back at home hate it when I answer the phone using Maori language
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

Sweet as !
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Wife keeps saying as at the end of sentences...

Hot as...
Sweet as...
Cold as...

Drives me nuts... aye!!!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Tom1983
No!!!!

I am in the process of learning Maori though. Feel since i'm in a country that speaks that language, I should learn it as well. Quite difficult though learning by yourself

Plus the relatives back at home hate it when I answer the phone using Maori language

Why the hell would you want to learn Maori?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know that I do the yis thing. I also do the "yis,no" thing too.
Husband started to speak with the upward inflection a while ago? Right annoying that one is?
Oh my husband does that and says Thuurty instead of Thirty I hate that I'm not gonna change my accent!!!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
think one of the things I won't be doing is sayind "a" at the end of every sentence a
Thats not really something i've heard here - but in Oz - all the time - very very very annoying!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Oh my husband does that and says Thuurty instead of Thirty I hate that I'm not gonna change my accent!!!
yeah i don't really want to change my accent - its just things i find myself saying without even realising it!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Haha, Yis I got in a right pickle the other day working with a dyslexic pupil on her spelling. She couldn't understand my pronunciation of her spelling words and the harder I tried to kiwi pronounce it the worse it got.
Kaz
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Sounds like a Bristol accent to me they all say thuurty. Oh and cidear n a slice.
Kaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.