Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

South Auckland - areas to live

South Auckland - areas to live

Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Auckland - areas to live

Originally Posted by James S
Have you moved to NZ yet - we live in Huddersfield and are moving out to South Auckland shortly (hopefully end of July) let me know what the areas are like will you as we have the same dilemas at the moment and Im sick of looking at Trademe/allrealestate etc etc!!

Cheers

James s
Yep, been here a few weeks now. I've just started work and sorted out a rental (waiting for my house to sell in the UK, but was going to rent first in any case) at Cockle Bay in the East. I did a fair bit of research before I got here on here and Trade Me for ideas, but it wasn't until I got here that I began to form opinions.
The commute time is particularly important, there are some nice areas further south, but the motorway for the morning commute really is incredibly bad. I've worked for short spells down near London and used the M25 but Auckland is as bad and worse, continually bumper to bumper, with little alternatives.
I decided to head out East, deciding on the Howick area. The traffic's not great either when you get nearer in, but the distance isn't far and I've found that cycling in is quicker.
Good luck with the move

Re: an earlier post, not yet headed out to hunua, will get out there on the bike this weekend. I've heard it's a nice place, but I'd have thought commuting anywhere north of Manukau would be very nasty.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Auckland - areas to live

[QUOTE=James S;6182978]
Originally Posted by garryhg
we've seen a house in hunua which looks decent any idea if that is OK?
I cycled down to Hunua today for the first time. It's a small pleasant village, though rather spolied by two rows of largish electricity pylons going through the middle of it. It's near to Hunua falls, and a couple of reservoirs. The commute to Auckland would however be a long one, though the road out there would be quiet enough.